Topic: Good electric guitar?

I am looking to buy a pretty good quality electric guitar. (right now I have 2 acoustics)
But I do not want to have to spend much more then $450. Any suggestions?

Re: Good electric guitar?

Check out Agile on Rondomusic.com

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Agreed. Those Agiles are a good value.
When you get to the Rondo site and go to the electric guitars section, the first few pages will be SX and Douglas brand (also pretty decent buys). By about the 4th or 5th screen, you'll be getting to the Agile brand guitars.

The Xaviere guitars at GFS are a good deal too:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaviereguitars.html

If I was interested in a Gibson style guitar, I'd go with the Agile, but if I wanted a more Fender style instrument, I'd choose an Xaviere.

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

4 (edited by shortcut 2010-01-12 21:12:30)

for your price range i would look at ibanez also. www.musiciansfriend.com i bought a low end model last year and i'm very satisfied with the sound & looks. actually it's way better than i ever expected. very sweet!

Hm... If I had any money to spend, I'd try to spend some more and get a Brian May one... dunno how much they are in the States though... here it's about 600 € I guess.

shortcut wrote:

for your price range i would look at ibanez also. www.musiciansfriend.com i bought a low end model last year and i'm very satisfied with the sound & looks. actually it's way better than i ever expected. very sweet!

Mmmm Ibanez guitars are a ridiculous value for the price.  I payed $300 for my RG (was on sale, it's $350 normally) and (this is just my opinion, most people will say that their guitar is the best guitar) it outplays just about any other guitar in that price range.  The only other brand I've seen of comparable quality is ESP or Jackson.  Course, it all depends on what feel you like...thick neck? Thin neck? 21 frets? 24 frets? Wide fretboard? Narrow fretboard? Big frets? Little frets? Whammy? Fixed bridge (like mine, easier to keep in tune)?  Go to a guitar shop and play a couple different brands, that's the best way to see what you like.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

shortcut wrote:

+1

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod … D=26044902
Good luck regardless, but I got one and love it. Nice fit and finish.  Great versatility.

Steve

epiphone also makes a good product for the money - with many gibson copies (as it is a subsidiary of Gibson).  They are always available on ebay and craigslist if you don't mind going used.

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650

To Jellison,

Whoa, not so fast there, Pilgrim.

"Pretty good guitar" means pretty good *for you*.  In other words, it's like a car or a dog or a house.  What is pretty good depends on what suits you, what you want to do with it, and what kind of sound you are looking for.   Solid body guitars sound different from hollow body guitars, Leas Paul style sound different from strat or tele or jazz box style, and  single coil pickups sound different from humbuckers.   Do you want a whammy bar?  These are all question to ask.  As you know from your two acoustics, Guitars just "feel" different, too, and more than you might think, the way a guitar looks makes a difference in your relationship with it too.   You have some excellent  advice above about Epiphones and Agiles and Ibanez and so on.  Check out lots of guitars at stores, look at guitars friends have, and think about where you want to go with it.  Take you time and look for good deals. 

Also, you don't just buy a guitar, you buy a system.  You have to budget for an amp, for effects pedals, and (this is important) for some good cables, 

All this takes time, but it can be a really fun time with your friends.  Electric guitars rule, man.  Rock on!

G&L tribute series. G&L stands for George fullerton and Leo Fender. Do yourself a favour and test drive a G&L. I have a US made ASAT special on order.........it is about 1500, but the Tributes are off shore models that go for around 500. less on ebay. check them out.

Try to find 2nd hand guitars.
The guitars made during the 80's, are really cheap, and the sound is just AWESOME.

Ibanez guitars sound great too.

I have a Westone Spectrum ST from '86. I love it, and all my friends that have played it love it, too!
I'm not sure where you could get one though.

I have seen then online for around $200-300, but buying online is not the best idea,,I learned that the hard way hmm
Anyways I wish you the best of luck on your guitar search!

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

If you are looking for a more "Rock N Roll" style I would go with something like an Epiphone SG- If you had more money go Gibson. Or an Ibanez, or Fender Stratocaster. An all around great guitar would be a Fender Telecaster. An American Tele would cost somewhere in the thousands but I have seen Mexican Tele's for $450 right out of the box. Basically For cheap go for either an Epiphone or Squire. Also check some music shops for cheap used guitars.

ckphoto wrote:

epiphone also makes a good product for the money - with many gibson copies (as it is a subsidiary of Gibson).  They are always available on ebay and craigslist if you don't mind going used.

I just got a EPI SG400, bliss!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000