1 (edited by naolslager 2010-01-14 20:21:29)

Topic: INFORMATINYamaha Guitar "Copy" Chart

THE ENGINEER IN ME HAS SURFACED.

I begin by apologizing to advocates/fans/players of non-Yamaha guitars. But I am a fan of Yamaha guitars and I am researching the history of their product line out of curiousity. In many cases, a Yamaha guitar is listed as a "Martin XXX copy, clone, etc" or as a "lawsuit" guitar. It would be helpful to have a chart or something showing this "relationship". I have searched the Internet ad nauseam. Yes, I have the POSTER size version of Yamaha's "history" chart from their website. Helpful but not complete and there are errros and omissions.

It can be as simple as:

FG-150 - Martin 000 18
FG-180 - D-28
FG-365 - D-35
CJ-818 - Gibson J200?
etc.

Anyone willing to  take this on? I would appreciate it. I'm primarily interested in equivalencies (if they exist) for Yamaha's FG, SJ, CJ lines. I'm aware Yamaha may be emulating some other brand than Martin in some cases. If you know this relationship please include as well.

Thanks in advance for your effort and knowledge.

Re: INFORMATINYamaha Guitar "Copy" Chart

i have never heard this, but would be very interested in the outcome.  A little more research is in order.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

3 (edited by tubatooter1940 2010-01-11 02:20:16)

naoslager, mine is an FG350W made in the middle 70's. It is a huge dreadnought acoustic with a laminated top. It is a good player with low action and a big sound and it holds a tune as well as any I've seen.
I'm surprised to learn that it could be a copy.
A copy of what I wonder.
toots

p.s. You can hear and see it in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZqbhKZENtQ

I have played Martins and I much prefer my Yammy to any of them.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

The same can be said for some model(s) of Takamine Acoustics. Their "lawsuit" model(s) are much sought after. I'm sure the same can be said for other manufacture' products.

Nela

Tubatooter,
I am a beginner and I don't really know what I'm talking about but I have not been impressed with Martins. I picked up a used D-35 yesterday and while it is beautiful and well made I just can't see $1600 worth of value in it FOR ME. Instead I am on  a quest to find a Yamaha FG-365S or SII which I am told is a "copy" of the D-35. I've seen these sell for as low as $200 (I wish I had jumped on that one) to over $600 (Holy buyer's remorse!).

The FG-356S is touted as Yamaha's first solid top FG and it has the beautiful (albeit laminate) 3-piece back. Meanwhile I'll enjoy my other Yamahas , i.e. CJ818 and FG260. I'm also in the market for an SJ400S and SJ180 in case you spot one.