Topic: Ceramic or Alnico Pickups?

I'm looking to buy a new Agile Al Les Paul copy. The decision has come down to which pickups. The Al 2000 has ceramic but the Dauntless has Seymore Duncan Alnico humbuckers. Some of you with more knowledge in this could you help me know which is the better pickup? Here are the ones i'm deciding from.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product2920.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/product3026.html

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Ceramic or Alnico Pickups?

Hey, I noticed a newer member "Joe D. Roadie" had a web site in his signature. goodgearguy.com I think he reviews this guitar or the pickups in question. Try to check there.

Thanks for the bump!
Indeed it is true.
I recently bought a cheaper Agile 2000 ($200)and one of the other guys in the shop bought the nicest one ($450). Both play great, after a little set up. Mine had stock ceramics which were too bright, harsh and raty for me.

I like Alnico 2 humbuckers (think Slash, ZZ Top, Dickey Betts, early T Rex, Government Mule and like that). So, I tried the Rockfields (from GC @ $50) and a similar model from Guitar Fetish (for $40). Both were a huge improvement and pretty similar to each other, with the Rockfields being a little hotter and the GFS ones being a little more hi-fi. Both also killed his Agile factory Alnico 5 pickups.

Now this thing plays and sounds like rock in a box. It was a good deal and better pickups made a huge difference.

BTW, don't believe the hype - the pots, jack and switches are good quality. I bought replacements before I looked inside but the factory had used the same Alpha pots, Switchcraft jack and quality switch as the very ones I bought. D'ohh.

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

Joe,
     I have checked out your website, great reading and very informative. I will visit often.
I think that you are a relative new comer to Chordie, so a hearty welcome to you.
People like yourself that contribute to Chordie in a positive way make Chordie what it is today, the best of its kind on the net.
Thanks
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Thanks!

The site is just getting started, but enough gear goes through my hands every week that I should have a near constant supply of new material. People come by all the time with ads or links to gear they are thinking about buying, to ask questions. One day, an associate (Richie) said, "Man, you need a web site - just post the stuff you talk about everyday". So, I am trying it.

I've been a lurker at Chordie for some time. As you can imagine, if you are testing guitars and amps everyday, a handy bunch of song tabs is a great resource. smile

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

Thanks for the feedback Joe. I checked out your site and found it informative. I decided against the AL 2000 and just went ahead and got the upgraded AL 3100 simply because of the binding and handmade nut and filed frets. I'm expecting delivery any day this week. I'm sure i'll love it.