Topic: Songs Every Guitarist Should Know...

So just for fun, what song(s) would you say that every guitar player should know?

Re: Songs Every Guitarist Should Know...

Aura Lee, or at least Mel Bay seems to think so.

If you are talking about someone being an accomplished guitarist (as opposed to someone who plays songs on guitar), then I think it's more a stylistic approach.  A guitarist should probably be able to strum a reggae rhythm, do a blues lead, do a country style alternating bass, and a few other skills.  But that doesn't mean it has to be Three Little Birds, Every Day I've Got the Blues, and Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys. 

By the by, I love your avatar lilwing.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi All,

God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood

If your an American you should know how to play this song. I've asked about a strum pattern to this but no responses, that's why I don't know it YET.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

any that someone can enjoy.

we may never pass this way again.

Happy Birthday, some simple singalong carols, some simple children's songs (ten green bottles, wheels on the bus etc.)

I'm a bit worried by the implication I should be able to pull off several styles... I'm pretty sure BB King only plays his own blues... and a lot of other big name artists only play their own styles...

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

zguitar wrote:

Hi All,

Why?

roll

I'm the son of rage and love

bonedaddy wrote:
zguitar wrote:

Hi All,

Why?

roll

Let's not go there. Just accept the suggestion and move on.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

manicbassman wrote:

Happy Birthday, some simple singalong carols, some simple children's songs (ten green bottles, wheels on the bus etc.)

I'm a bit worried by the implication I should be able to pull off several styles... I'm pretty sure BB King only plays his own blues... and a lot of other big name artists only play their own styles...

Let me tell you a quick story I heard from a friend who played bass for Roy Clark.  My friend's habit was to show up about two hours before showtime to warm up and practice.  He ran warmup exercises for a while, and then he practiced and got himself ready to play on stage by playing songs he enjoyed and not necessarily the songs that were on the set list.

Well, it turns out that that just happened to be Mr. Clark's habit as well.  So my buddy was running through some songs he enjoyed playing, which were mostly swing jazz and jazz standards.  Turns out those were among Roy Clark's favorites as well.  So the two of them jammed for an hour or hour and a half on jazz standards and blew away other members of the band.  One of the band members said that this music was too good to go to waste in a practice room and that they should work a jazz set into the show.  Mr. Clark said, "These folks paid good money to hear a country music concert, not a jazz concert.  So we're going to give them what they paid to hear and we're going to do it the best we know how." 

So, just because B.B. King always plays blues on albums and on stage, don't think that he might not have other styles in his toolkit.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

What a fantastic stort, Zurf. I guess you never think of performers dipping into other genres. But, hey, we all do it, why shouldn't they?

I suppose depending on your nationality and cultural background there are always going to be certain songs that most folk will know and be able to sing along to. There are always the ones that cross all sorts of borders so I'd say if you know a Beatles song, a Dylan song and a local folk song you can at least get a start on the evening. Unless you're in your teens and have never heard of any of these. lol

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Here's a story that John McCutcheon told from stage some ten years ago or so.  It related to an incident he had years before that when he was on a cultural tour to still Russia (still part of the Soviet Union at the time).  He does mostly his own music, or the Appalachian folk music that inspires his music.  So, he's on a train in Russia with a bunch of Russians who don't speak English and they are all trying to find a song - any song - that they can share and play together.  Finally, John McCutcheon started to play The Beatles' "Yesterday" and every one of those musicians knew it and played and sang along - EVEN THOSE WHO DIDN'T SPEAK ENGLISH!!! 

So, yeah, I guess there are certain songs that everyone knows. 

- Zurf

11 (edited by lilwing 2010-01-27 17:53:49)

Zurf wrote:

Aura Lee, or at least Mel Bay seems to think so.

If you are talking about someone being an accomplished guitarist (as opposed to someone who plays songs on guitar), then I think it's more a stylistic approach.  A guitarist should probably be able to strum a reggae rhythm, do a blues lead, do a country style alternating bass, and a few other skills.  But that doesn't mean it has to be Three Little Birds, Every Day I've Got the Blues, and Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys. 

By the by, I love your avatar lilwing.

- Zurf

I guess I should have said what songs should be on every guitarists (meaning us lol) ipod or something similar, but odds are some of us still do vynyls or CDS or something. I guess I should have worded that better...
And thank you very much, I drew it myself smile
  BY THE WAY, BB King played and sang gospel music before he started the blues, and  I'm like 90% sure I read an interview with BB King where he was talking about it being important to practice different styles. I can't remember if he did himself, outside of jazz, but he definately approved of it.

In that case, the entire Legend album by Bob Marley is a good start. 

I'm impressed with the artwork.  What would be really cool is if you drew it out on a real guitar.  Maybe not going up the neck.  I used to have an electric bass with a bunch of artwork on the body and thought it was cool.  Unfortunately, it did not survive my borrowing a copy of "Electric Guitar Maintenance for Dummies" or some such book from the local library.  It wound up as a pile of wires and screws and pieces of wood and I scrapped it. I must not be Dummie enough.   

When I replace my Yamaha with a better quality guitar, I will likely do something like that to my Yamaha - which will then be assigned campfire duty and still be in heavy rotation. 

- Zurf

Every geographic location has it's list of local favorites. Hanging out a jam sessions and open mikes will give you an idea what the locals like to play. I could make a list of South Alabama faves and half of them you may know.
As Zurf stated, some songs are known world wide.
I played a country song at a pub in Kinsale, Ireland, titled "Friends in Low places" by Garth Brooks. I did not know Garth Brooks was touring Ireland at that time. Every Irishman and woman in the joint knew all the lyrics and sang along with great gusto. What a happy surprise that was.Around here, most guitar players know "Wildwood Flower" by the Carter Family,"Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynard Skynard,"Walk Don't Run' and "Pipeline" by the Ventures, "Knocking on Heaven's Door' by Bob Dylan, "Can't You See" by Marshall tucker - just to name a few.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Every geographic location has it's list of local favorites. Hanging out a jam sessions and open mikes will give you an idea what the locals like to play. I could make a list of South Alabama faves and half of them you may know.
As Zurf stated, some songs are known world wide.
I played a country song at a pub in Kinsale, Ireland, titled "Friends in Low places" by Garth Brooks. I did not know Garth Brooks was touring Ireland at that time. Every Irishman and woman in the joint knew all the lyrics and sang along with great gusto. What a happy surprise that was.Around here, most guitar players know "Wildwood Flower" by the Carter Family,"Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynard Skynard,"Walk Don't Run' and "Pipeline" by the Ventures, "Knocking on Heaven's Door' by Bob Dylan, "Can't You See" by Marshall tucker - just to name a few.
toots

Bars full of singing Irishmen is one of the best things about the place.   A sing/song is a traditional aspect of the society.    I knew I loved the place when I walked into a packed pub and 300 people were singing "I would walk 500 miles...." at the top of their lungs.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Zurf wrote:

In that case, the entire Legend album by Bob Marley is a good start. 

I'm impressed with the artwork.  What would be really cool is if you drew it out on a real guitar.  Maybe not going up the neck.  I used to have an electric bass with a bunch of artwork on the body and thought it was cool.  Unfortunately, it did not survive my borrowing a copy of "Electric Guitar Maintenance for Dummies" or some such book from the local library.  It wound up as a pile of wires and screws and pieces of wood and I scrapped it. I must not be Dummie enough.   

When I replace my Yamaha with a better quality guitar, I will likely do something like that to my Yamaha - which will then be assigned campfire duty and still be in heavy rotation. 

- Zurf

Thank you smile I have an old guitar I was sanding down to try refinishing and then work got in the way and I never got it done. I wanted to try something like that with it (I only paid five bucks for it and it wasn't worth much more, only sentimental value so I wan't worried about it too too much).
That particular one was done with a purple pen on a piece of copy paper lol

16 (edited by AccoustikNoyz 2010-01-28 23:26:08)

zguitar wrote:

Hi All,

If your an American you should know how to play this song. I've asked about a strum pattern to this but no responses, that's why I don't know it YET.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!

Ha Z try this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5JKsefLVaM

down, down. down, down-up,  ..... down, down, down, down-up.

And for me it seems Brown Eyed Girl is the one song everyone must know.  It's not my favorite, it just shows up on set lists at every bar in every town.
Another one that I do like and think everyone should learn is 12-bar blues.  Because with or without lyrics, and no matter what you seem to be able to play along with some other guitarists when you play the basics.
Oh, and I gotta agree with Tubatooter.  Knockin on Heaven's Door is probably the first one you should know and for those same reasons.

Steve

Hey Steve!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for another strum pattern, you are awesome.

Brown eyed girl is my favorite song of all time. I can actually play that one too.

Right now I'm kinda trying to learn the 12-bar blues. Very cool stuff if you can work it out. I'll get there sooner or later.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!