Topic: NGD & bringing her back to life :)
Well it's a late ngd.... I got the guitar last Sunday but things have been really hectic lately and I haven't had much time to get online. She's a '73 Yairi Dy77 Herringbone. Had some issues but overall in good condition. She was buzzing some but the main problem was the top! She was horribly dry Running a straight edge down the fretboard and over the bridge showed that the top had sunk in about 7/32 of an inch!! The saddle was extremely high and after pulling the saddle I saw that is had been shimmed with some old paper matches...:lol: The saddle & bridge were also tilting toward the soundhole rather sharply..
Here's a quick pic showing it before I started reshaping the top...
As you can see the saddle is very high and tilting toward the soundhole... A sure sign of a dry guitar.. Luckily, Yairi uses a twin solid sheet lam back that's also sealed interanlly with lacquer so it's more stable and had maintained it's proper shape.
I took the strings off, straightened the neck, and then leveled and dressed the frets eliminating the buzz. I then went about humidifying the guitar. I started off with 3 damp-its placed in the body with a soundhole cover on it to keep the moisture in the guitar. I did this for 3 days checking it daily and adding water to the dampits... The top was starting to rehydrate good at that point so I removed the cover and stepped down to one damp-it. At this point I also added some upward pressure to the top to be sure that it expanded in the proper direction since the dip was so bad. I did this by using a piece of fairly rigid foam under the X bracing and using a yard stick with a fulcrum at the neck joint and secured at the headstock to apply steady upward pressure to the top...
Here's a quick shot of the rig..
You can see how much I've already been able to lower the saddle and the top has risen so that the saddle no longer leans forward. The installed string has just enough tension on it for me to use as a reference point for movement from day to day... Things are looking really good Running a straight edge now only shows a 1/16 drop in the top, assuming it was a perfect neck set from the luther originally. The damp-it's are no longer running dry and it's close to being done. I'll maintain this through the weekend without using damp-its and just keep the pressure on with a room humidifier going. This should allow it to stabilize and maintain shape. I've also picked up some new GOTOH tuning machines to replace the original (36 yr. old) Grovers. I'll post pics of that process when I get to it next week...
So that's where I'm at, A neglected guitar that is coming back nicely... And did I mention that I scored this vintage Yairi w/hrdcase for a mere $250 bucks
As you can see in the pics, the top has some play wear but nothing major... Just some pick rub and I'd expect that for a guitar of it's age. I've never played a guitar with such overtones... She really rings The back and sides are some very nice looking EIR (IMO). I Love the coloration in the set... Here's a quick pic I just snapped..
Thanks for reading! I'll add as she progresses in her restoration All the best! -Pix
[/color][/b] [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]