Topic: Are all output jacks created equal?

I just replaced the electronics in my Strat and I used a RadioShack mono output jack I had from a previous project. The whole guitar sounds quiet compared to what I expect from the new PUPs. I was thinking of replacing the jack with a new Fender or DiMarzio jack. Anyone know if I should expect a change or if there are any real differences from one mono jack to another?

Re: Are all output jacks created equal?

Typically (there goes that word again) they are the same with exceptions as you mentioned you have a mono jack there also stero jacks. What is going to help on unwanted noise is clean (correct) wiring to ground (earth for you Brits, not to be taken as derogatory) and sheilding. Sheild the body cavity & the pickguard (sctarch plate)use copper or aluminium tape to sheild. There is also shielding paint but from what I've read it comes off and is messy.

Bootlegger.

Bootlegger guitars.

The problem I have is a lack of volume. I have considered buying a guitar specific jack to see if that makes a difference vs. a generic mono jack. Just not sure I want to spend the time and effort...the $4 for the part is not an issue.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText"><b>Yavin wrote on Tue, 24 April 2007 18&#58;33</b></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
The problem I have is a lack of volume. I have considered buying a guitar specific jack to see if that makes a difference vs. a generic mono jack. Just not sure I want to spend the time and effort...the $4 for the part is not an issue.
</td></tr></table>

Then the issue is not the input jack.  It's the pickups, The higher the "k" value, the higher the output. What brand of guitar are they in and are they stock. If it is a low end guitar chances are the pickups are junk. That's not to say that all lowend guitars have crap pickups. But I'd bet most of the bunch are dogs. You can put a treble gain and midrange boost but by the time you pay for the parts and labor for an install you can but a good set of high output pickups.

Bootlegger