Topic: Chords and Progressions

Hello,

In some recent discussions, Jerome has referred to what notes made up a F chord and I know alot of folks knew what he was talking about but probably alot didn't.

Anyway chord progressions are also derived from the scale that made up the chord.
a 1,4,5 progression   in C refers to the notes that follow C in the C Major Scale
As Russell has pointed out on numerous occasions the 1,4,5 chords are major chords and the 2,3, 6 are minors , lets not go into 7

This explains things without going into great depth.

How Chords are Formed
In any give key certain chords are more common then others. For example in the key of C, the chords C, F and G are usually present, and quite often they are complemented with Am, Dm, and Em. The reason for this is each key has it’s own set of chords constructed from the notes of it’s scale. This is basic music theory and will work starting with any note. We will start with C, consider the scale of C major:

C D E F G A B C
I II III IV V VI VII VIII

Chords are constructed by notes that are a 3rd apart in it’s scale. So the following positions would give us the root major chord of a key:

I – II – III

Using the C major scale written above, chords can be constructed by placing 2 third intervals above each note. So a C chord has C, E and G in it.

Here are the chords of the key of C and how they are constructed:

Chord
Constructed C Dm Em F G Am Bo
C Scale C D E F G A B
III E F G A B C D
V G A B C D E F

The chords are always named according to their root note. They are chords in the key of C because they only contain notes from the C scale. This method of constructing chords can be applied to form the chords of any major scale. The result will always produce the chords of whatever root note you start with.

Scale Note I II III IV V VI VII
Chord Constructed major minor minor major major minor diminished

Chord Substitutions
The chords studied so far involve the placement of 3 notes. The root note of the chord and the 2 third interval notes above it. This method of building chords can be extended by adding another note illustrated below. These chords could then be substituted for chords in the key of C, to color things up.

Chord
Constructed Cmaj7 Dm7 Em7 Fmaj7 G7 Am7 Bo7*
C Scale C D E F G A B
III E F G A B C D
VII B C D E F G A
V G A B C D E F

From this example chords for any key can be substituted by using the chart below:

Scale Note I II III IV V VI VII
Chord Constructed major seventh minor seventh minor seventh major seventh seventh minor seventh half diminished seventh

Later, Wayne P

Re: Chords and Progressions

It is after how chords are formed that I get lost.  I always did well in math class... but ALWAYS needed pen and paper (or calculator) to get by... never could do it in my head... and I think that's my problem with music theory as well.  I will study this tho with my pen and paper and try to get it!  Thanks Wayne!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

3 (edited by wlbaye 2009-12-18 15:18:29)

I don't use a calculator, I usually use my fingers smile

I have played with several people that have a cheat sheet stuck on top of their guitar or dobro

C F G

G C D

A D E

D A G

E A B

These are 1,4 5  Chord progressions, and if someone says 1,4,5 in the key of D  they don't have to think about smile

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

I have played with several people that have a cheat sheet stuck on top of their guitar or dobro

I've often thought about having the Circle of 5th tattooed on my left forearm.   If I had a whole lot of money, I'd have it engraved or inlayed with mother of pearl on the top of my acoustics.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Wayne the 7th is always diminished which is another word for lowered or flatted like in the easy C scale CDEFGABC the B is 1/2 step below C hense diminished smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Heya Russ,

I was just trying to keep things as simple as I could to help some of the folks that didn't know what you and Jerome have been talking about. I just thought maybe if they could see where the  makeup of chords come from and how it relates to progressions may open the door without too much confusion.

Thanks smile

Later, Wayne P

Well, a chord is simply two or more tones struck simultaneously.  I think what you're interested in are triads, and it's a really simple rule to build them.

Start somewhere in the scale, and take every other note.   When you have "stacked" three notes,  you'll end up with a major chord, a minor chord, or a diminished chord.

If you take every other note, and "stack" four notes, you end up with 7ths of some sort.

wlbaye wrote:

C F G

G C D

A D E

D A G

E A B

These are 1,4 5  Chord progressions, and if someone says 1,4,5 in the key of D  they don't have to think about smile

AHHH!  Now you're talking my language!  Perhaps if I just sit down and figure this all out, and then make up some cheat sheets, I may actually learn something (and if not, I'll have the cheat sheets!)

Jerome... I love the idea of the circle of 5th tattoo!  Hmmm... now you've got me thinking!  Too bad you're so far away, my husband is a tattoo artist but it's not his day job.  He's darn cheap!  So much that I yell at him a lot for it!  Of course that just turns on his selective hearing mode.

Russell - that is good info to know... but then when I start looking at scales and thinking about how it could be possible to remember them and construct chords, the 7th is just another thing to try to figure in there and it does get tricky.  I might just keep that tid bit of info in the back of my head tho!  It is a pretty basic note to keep in mind.  I like that Wayne started out slow with just one key however... it gets aweful confusing when I look at one scale, then another, then another and try to think of how I could figure this all out "on the fly"

Well, I'm planning on sending my eldest and my girlfriend to NYC for a weekend as part of Christmas, so if you could have him draw up a representative Circle of 5ths, I may make the trip. too.  smile

jerome.oneil wrote:

Well, a chord is simply two or more tones struck simultaneously.  I think what you're interested in are triads, and it's a really simple rule to build them.

Start somewhere in the scale, and take every other note.   When you have "stacked" three notes,  you'll end up with a major chord, a minor chord, or a diminished chord.

If you take every other note, and "stack" four notes, you end up with 7ths of some sort.

Yes you are right , a chord is simply two or more tones struck simultaneously. But I was just trying to show in the simplest way I knew of showing how a C major chord was related to the C major scale and how chord progressions work and I know it all gets back to the circle of fifths and now my head hurts smile

Later, Wayne P

jerome.oneil wrote:

Well, I'm planning on sending my eldest and my girlfriend to NYC for a weekend as part of Christmas, so if you could have him draw up a representative Circle of 5ths, I may make the trip. too.  smile

AHHH!  I never came back here till today to see this!  Darn... would have been awesome to meet a fellow Chordian, alas we're a 5 hour drive from NYC anyhow.  I do think I'm going to get him to draw one up however, as I think it would be an AWESOME tattoo as well.  Very deep.  I will have to work on it a bit however, as I don't think he comprehends it yet and I tend to get REALLY picky about things being proper.  He had a customer come in that wanted a neat tattoo of a music staff with notes running down her side.  I looked at what he drew up and picked it apart from a technical music standpoint and INSISTED that he ask her if there was a song in particular or notes that she wanted rather than just some mumbo jumbo "pretty" looking thing on her side.  Sure enough, she was above and beyond pleased that "he" even thought of that, and she ended up with some notes to a song that had meaning to her, as well as a cool looking tattoo! 

BTW... I'm FINALLY starting to get Music Theory and the circle of fifths!  YAY!  Thank you again guys for your explanations!