Topic: Alvee ! Will we bid on one of these bottles ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8361995.stm

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: Alvee ! Will we bid on one of these bottles ?

Ooooohhhhhhh..... now there's a good idea.

Though I'm thinking one bottle may not be enough. We couldny buy a bottle and not invite yon big fella, Ken, round to sample it. I'm thinking we'd need 2 at least. Ach, what the heck, let's go for 1 each.

I canny believe the spokesman said he didny want to try it in case it was off. I didny think it went off. I've never had one that lasted more than a couple of days. lol

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Here is what I don't understand.  They're in ANTARCTICA.  There is no national jurisdiction.  Not a police force or a compliance officer within 1,000 miles.  And if there were, they sure as heck wouldn't be showing up to enforce a century old claim to a case of whiskey for whom not only everyone with a claim to it is dead of old age, but so are their grandchildren.  And what do they do with this case of century old whiskey that started out as some of the best in the world?  They TELL PEOPLE ABOUT IT! Is there even the possibility of a more ignorant and ridiculous response?  I don't think so. 

I'm telling you one thing loud and clear right now.  Today's explorers are a different breed from Shackleton's party. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That said, I sure would like a taste.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I don't understand how they totally ran out of supplies.... but there's a case of whisky left. If it'd been a Scottish expedition all the whisky would've been blootered on the 1st night. big_smile

The penguins would've been pretty nervous.

If you've never read it "Endurance" is one heck of a good read.  It's like an action fiction, but it's the true story of Shackleton's adventure to Antarctica.  There's dogs, and stowaways, and impossible odds, and impossible feats, and a happy ending.  If you know anything about boats, this will amaze you: They sailed across the Southern Ocean - from a receding ice floe broke off from the mainland of Antarctica to a small whale fishing village on a flyspeck of an island - something like a thousand miles of the roughest and coldest seas the world knows in and amongst ice floes that could crush them in minutes and they did it in a 23' open boat with an amateur navigator literally learning the craft from an instructional book while they were underway and using only a compass and astrolabe.  The boat HAD been crushed and was salvaged, repaired, and slightly modified just before they left.  An astounding feat!  They took turns on captaining the vessel and literally used the non-sailing bodies as live ballast scrambling side to side and front to back belowdecks because the seas were so rough and the winds so unpredictable that the rock ballast they had couldn't be moved fast enough to compensate.

Oh, and they did eat quite a few penguins.

Thanks Zurf. As ever, a goldmine of info. Not quite what the Scots had in mind for the penguins though.

Good thing my wife didn't discover it. It would be gone by now. She is the ultimate consumer.
I'll never forget the day we left out for a sail on the bay and my lovely wife spotted an alligator carcass hung up on a branch across the creek from us.
She cried out, "Honey, go get me that gator. I can make a purse and some shoes and who knows what all else with a big one like that."
Thank goodness we were late to meet our friends and I was able to pacify her by promising to go get it when we returned.
Thankfully the gator was gone when we got back.
He floated off and I did not have to stick a knife into that bloated critter. It would have popped like a ballon. Oogie!
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?