Topic: When in doubt, play loud!

The louder you play, the more people will think you meant to do whatever it you were doing.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: When in doubt, play loud!

I'm a firm believer in this philosophy. Make a mistake and bulldoze right over the top of it. This may occur tomorrow evening.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

It's a philosophy I can sure buy into.  Here, here.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Maybe this should have been put in the "music theory" section

Cam

'

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

I agree. Nothing worse than a timid player.
I you should hit a stinker, splatter it off the walls. Maybe everybody'll think you hit a dissonant.:)=)

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I had no idea what dissonant meant, so I looked it up

Main Entry: dis·so·nant
Pronunciation: \-nənt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English dissonaunte, from Latin dissonant-, dissonans, present participle of dissonare to be discordant, from dis- + sonare to sound — more at sound
Date: 15th century

1 : marked by dissonance : discordant
2 : incongruous
3 : harmonically unresolved

Lots of what I play is harmonically unresolved, I'll even step it up to say to say my playing is largely musically unresolved, so I believe I am an expert in dissonance. A dissonant extraordinaire, if you will. And incongruousicty runs in the family - I was born with that attribute! I gotta see if I can create a custom title. big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

The louder I play....The more cops that show up....=bigger crowd...lol

Every once in a while ,when I'm playing songs I don't play very often, I'll screw up and play a wrong chord... I guess I'm thinking about a similar progression that I have been playing a lot when I do it... Anyway, when it happens to me I just change songs and label it a melody smile I'll just work through it and add a few more songs that flow with it into the melody mix wink

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi Pix, I also have switched to a different song with a similar progression - sometimes without realizing it until it's too late and I'm past the point of no return. Minds will wander won't they?
This may work out okay if I'm playing alone but playing with a band, this can create something akin to a musical car wreck.

Kudos to Topdown for creating the new word "incongruousicty". 

I think we should put together a modern folk protest group and call it Political Dissonance.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Hi Pix, I also have switched to a different song with a similar progression - sometimes without realizing it until it's too late and I'm past the point of no return. Minds will wander won't they?
This may work out okay if I'm playing alone but playing with a band, this can create something akin to a musical car wreck.

This happened to me and fatstrings....we started out playing every rose has its thorns but somewhere we went into playing patience....so everytime we play it now we incorporate the 2 songs together on purpose...now we are just playing in a garage and not on stage..the people who listen to us come to expect it that way now...

>>>Make a mistake and bulldoze right over the top of it.<<<<

I haven't performed "seriously" in public on the uke yet, but when I was gigging as a drummer, if I ever made a mistake, I would just make the same mistake a few more times so it appeared intentional.

'Guess that wasn't an original idea, huh?

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Sounds like a good idea,Iwill try it next time I goof up. I usuelly just smile and act like nothing happended.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Another good one is while playing in a group, look around and give the evil eye to another player---then laugh.    Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

As riddler wrote, sometimes a boo boo sounds so good you continue to do it that way. I love to string together medleys of similar sounding songs as well as medleys of tunes by the same artist or group.
My 4 piece bar band played together six nights a week for five years. Our tune list numbered over 600 songs. We reached a point where when we got an audience request for a song we never rehearsed, if one of us knew enough lyrics, he would holler out a key and go with it. The rest of us had been so long together that we could watch his hands and get chords. The lead rides and three part harmony vocals fell right in. Some of these came out so good, the guys would holler at me to add it to the tune list, and I did. Other times it came out like a car wreck and we would get to laughing so hard we would grind to a halt like a herd of cattle. We always warned the audience when we wre trying to "wing it" with a request and they laughed too and appreciated our giving it a try.
toots

Toots.  I can recall going to bars and having artists say, "Well, let me see if I have a chord chart" or something like that.  I can remember many excellent performances of songs that the artist was reading off a cheat sheet and probably hadn't played for years, if ever.  You can bet the audience appreciates becoming part of the fun as you described.  Congratulations to you and your band for being willing to "go with the flow" and give it an honest try.

- Zurf