Topic: Thumb - picks

Hi all, I just has this brain storm about using a thumb pick. I finger pick and thumb strum, but for the life of me using a pick leaves a lot to be desired. I can't seem to find a comfortable grip or position. I was thinking about trying a thumb pick, but I'd have to cut it down so it wasn't so big. Any imput on this?

2 (edited by wlbaye 2010-02-06 04:38:05)

Re: Thumb - picks

I use thumbpicks alot and my favorite is Fred Kelly "Slick Pick" it is very short and won't need trimming . Sometimes trimming them ruins the tone also. I played with my thumb for years and converted over to thumbpicks fairly easily it just takes more practice and you have to be accurate with a thumbpick.

There are alot of different thumbpicks out there and one thing besides the length is the angle when it's on your thumb. I have tried nearly every thumbpick made. Everyone has there own favorites.

Butch, Herco also makes a new nylon thumbpick that is really nice they are blue and I think they are 5012 ? 

Later, Wayne P

I use a thumb pick....never got the hang of useing a regular pick ...when it moved in my fingers that broke my concentration....i was worry about the pick and not the music I was  trying to play..

don't smoke weed with Willie

I'm a regular pick person. I've used a few different thumb pick but they just don't have the bendable feel to them. Do they make thin thumb picks? If so who because i'd like to try one.

Hey Butch.  1st time I played in public with a Herco pick I super-glued it in place due to concern over slippage.  I always trim a "extra-heavy" Herco with nail clippers and then file it to get a profile that matches the angle you want.  File it so the down and up stroke has a tapered sharp edge more or less.   Just using a thumb is more comfortable but after a while you'll notice a thumb pick has better tone.
Steve

I have trouble with all picks.  I use them sometimes, but I have become more comfortable with out them.  You need to use the pick you want to become good with and use it all the time.  It will become second nature in time.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

dfoskey wrote:

I'm a regular pick person. I've used a few different thumb pick but they just don't have the bendable feel to them. Do they make thin thumb picks? If so who because i'd like to try one.

They do... but I've no clue who makes them.  I recall seeing some online at some point in time.  Search around and I'll bet you'll find some.

I like my thumb pick.  The way that most people play with a pick in hand and strum and pick out notes, I found I was doing with my thumb "naturally" with no pick... when I grabbed a thumb pick I found it just seemed to work very naturally for me.  Holding a pick in my hand just seems so foreign.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Fred Kelley Speed Picks.  Look here:  http://www.fredkellypicks.com/products-page/speed

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

I went out in the blizzard to my local guitar merchant and bought 3 Dunlop heavy medium gage thumb picks, he probably thought I was nuts, but oh well. I tried fieling them down. It turned out to be a bust. They felt heavy and uncontrolable. So I put some clear finger nail polish on my thumb. Three layers were definetly too thick. Any input is welcomed.

fred kelley bumble bee picks are amazing, he's combined a regular guitar pick, into a thumbpick, they are the only way i can hold a pick and i've tried everything ! if you have trouble with slipping or dropping you gotta try these

Butch8844 wrote:

I went out in the blizzard to my local guitar merchant and bought 3 Dunlop heavy medium gage thumb picks, he probably thought I was nuts, but oh well. I tried fieling them down. It turned out to be a bust. They felt heavy and uncontrolable. So I put some clear finger nail polish on my thumb. Three layers were definetly too thick. Any input is welcomed.

You could go to the local nail salon and have them put some acrylic (or a silk or fiberglass overlay wrap if you're just looking for strength and not length) on your thumb nail to make your own "thumb pick".  Sounds girly?  There's a lot of great MALE pickers out there that keep acrylics on their picking hand.  Clear nail polish might protect your finger nail a little if you're up strumming with the back of your thumb nail... otherwise I don't see how it'd help you too much.  Three thin coats shouldn't be too much if you give them a chance to dry a little between each coat, but two is probably sufficient ... allow to dry for a few hours to ensure the polish has set up completely (else it could still be a little soft, think automobile paint... has to set up properly to a hard finish or else the lightest stone could dimple the finish and cause possible peeling).  If your nails are thin and you're looking to add strength you could also look in the nail polish section for "ridge filler", finish with one coat of clear.

(hmmm... I never thought my cosmetology licence would come in handy on Chordie with all you guys!  LMAO)

dguyton wrote:

Fred Kelley Speed Picks.  Look here:  http://www.fredkellypicks.com/products-page/speed

YES!  Speed picks!  That's what I saw!

I am a fan of Gove Scrivenor who plays guitar with his fingernails - espacially his index fingernail.
The wear and tear on the nail is huge so he carries a kit with him to make and install a new nail in a few minutes. I saw him tear a nail on his index, take a five minute break, then pull a false nail from his kit, glue it on, cut and file it to shape and resume picking within five minutes.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?