Topic: Tuning

I have a Cort electric guitar, I've had it for 3 years now, but suddenly it has started de-tuning during my live shows. I've tried various makes of strings, but I found that "Ashton's" gave me a great Strat sound.
There doesn't seem to be any warp in the neck, and the string hight hasn't lifted. Could it be a crap set of strings?
Any suggestions and good advice would be welcome.

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Tuning

Phill if it hasn't given you a  problem in three years I would bet its the strings unless you stepped on it (after a few brews) lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

After three years it,s over due a service.

I assume that you have not had the same strings on for three years so I do not think it is the strings per se, but it may be the way you are fitting them. If there is a lot of string wrapped aroud the machine head post then this can slip slightly causing the guitar to go out of tune, also the windings should go towards the wood of the guitar to keep them tight in the nut grooves. The other possibility is if the guitar had a tremlo arm as these can wear or become loose and cause the guitar to out of tune when used. Just some ideas that I hope will help.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Oiling machine heads can cause them to slip.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

thanks guys,

i re-strung the guitar about 4 gigs ago (i only change them when they lose tone...i'm very tight!)
funny part is that the thin strings de-tune, and the thick strings sharpen!

i said in the original question that they were "Ashton" strings, my apologies to Ashton as they were in fact D'Addario. i re-strung the guitar today hopefully rectifying the problem.

hi henryb, i've got a 1972 fender strat that has never been serviced since new...no probs there. all i've changed are strings and a little grease on the machine heads.

thanks all advice is gratefully recieved

phill

Check the nut on the tuning post.  If it's loose, the post can wobble a bit.  Snug (just snug-do not overtighten!) the nut down with a 10mm nut-driver.

i've just re-strung the guitar and i think it was a string fault. so i've dumped the strings and the new set seem to be holding their tune....so far.  thanks for all the help and suggestions

phill