Topic: Top 5 favorite songs

Hello All.....

Had a thought to do a fav list. Since we all have diff tastes this should be good.

Top 5 favorite songs of all time. (to listen to not play)

Here's mine:

1 Brown eyed girl - van morrison
2 Baba o'reily - The who
3 Another one bites the dust - Queen
4 Smalltown - John mellencamp
5 ????

Funny, I can't come up with a no. 5. There are soooo many good songs. I'll think about it and edit later.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Top 5 favorite songs

It changes given my mood the day and whatever else.  Here are my five of the moment.  This could be different by noon, or it could be the same again five years from now with a million variations in between now and then.

1. Blue Skies - Willie Nelson and Booker T version
2. Unchained - Johnny Cash
3. Featherbed - John McCutcheon (I sing it every night as a lullaby so it's stuck in my head)
4. Don't Blink - Kenny Chesney  (Yeah, I know it only pretends at being deep and is actually typical barber shop advice fodder you could hear six times from any old men who walk in the door any given Saturday morning, but it's a lot of fun to play and just because it's frequent advice doesn't mean it isn't good advice)
5. Three Little Birds - Bob Marley

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Ha ha... I agree with Zurf... this changes given my mood, what I may or may not have been drinking before listening, if there's kids around, etc!  At the moment I guess I'll say these in no particular order:

1. Even God Must Get the Blues - JoDee Messina
2. Bobby MeGee - Joplin
3. Killing me Softly - been playing it a LOT trying to get it down, but man I just can't listen to this one I must sing along
4. Friends in Low Places
5. Crazy - Patsy Cline

There's a bunch that I listen to regularly that I MUST sing along with... been a lot of SheDaisy, JoDee Messina (nearly all songs on Delicious Surprise album), Dixie Chicks, along with tons of other "man" songs and "folk" songs... I guess this list really isn't accurate... top five isn't really possible!  Buddy Jewel - "Help Pour out the Rain" is another that probably belongs on my "all time" list because it means a lot to me from a personal point of view... but it's not one I really listen to a lot unless I'm feel like I need a good cry.  Ha!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Mine change at different mood levels,#1 what a wonderful world. # 2 The rose #3 crossroads (clapton) #4sitting on the dock of the bay (otis redding)  Igot a name ( jim croce)

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

As everyone else mine changes daily but for past few days i've been favoring these.

1) Koko Jo - Jerry Reed
2) Free - Zac Brown Band
3) Prodigal - Casting Crowns
4) Hilllbilly Bone - Trace Adkins & Blake Shelton
5)On A Corner In Memphis - Todd Agnew

late in the evening  - paul simon

san francisco bay blues   - jesse fuller

shooting star  -  bad company

twelve gates to the city  -  sonny terry & brownie maghee

broke down engine  -  blind boy fuller

badeye    too cool

one caper after another

Those are all great lists. Lots of names I've never heard. I too have my favs form week to week or day to day, But....

I'm talking about favorite of "ALL TIME". Songs that have stuck with you for as long as you can remember. Songs that take you right back to the place you first heard them. Songs that still give you goose bumps when you hear them today.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Ringo Starr's "Photograph" although since Ive been divorced it hurts..
Jimmy Buffet's "Come Monday"..just reminds me of happier times...
Bad Company's "Shooting Star"
Badfingers "day after day"
Most of Johnny Cash

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

zguitar wrote:

Those are all great lists. Lots of names I've never heard. I too have my favs form week to week or day to day, But....

I'm talking about favorite of "ALL TIME". Songs that have stuck with you for as long as you can remember. Songs that take you right back to the place you first heard them. Songs that still give you goose bumps when you hear them today.

jeff healy - see the light

patriot game - matt minglewood

east coast blues - matt minglewood [ i had em ]

ramblin man - allman brothers

just a few    badeye   cool

one caper after another

I only have one that comes to mind that fits that bill.
My wife and I were pulling into the parking lot at a grocery store in Bossier City,La. when Vince Gill's "Nobody Answers When I Call Your Name" came on the radio. We parked and listened to the whole song before killing the engine. I told my wife that it was going to be a hit and it was.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

zguitar wrote:

Yep... that's what I was trying for, but there's a TON of "all time" favorites that take me to that place where I first heard them, it's just a matter of how I'm feeling on a day to day basis as to if it's high on the list, in the top five or not!  LOL! 

I should add to my list "American Pie" - that was an awesome moment the first time I heard it - probably was after many of you heard it the first time, but I was very little riding home from picking up dad's "new" (very used) pick up truck.

And also "You may be right" by Billy Joel ... it's "our song" for my husband and I... we both knew it the first time we heard it while together (wasn't the first time either of us ever heard it). 

I guess I could substitute those two for the first two on my list!  I'll have to come back again to this thread and keep thinking about it to get a really good all time 5!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

My Favorite "All Time" Songs are.

Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Patience - GNR
Sweet Emotions - Aerosmith
Crossroads - Eric Clapton
La Grange - ZZ Top

I guess I'm a country lover at heart but i like to rock too. After all that's what i was raised on musically.

Mine change all the time, but these 5 are right up there;

House of the Rising Sun - The Animals
Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones
Child in Time - Deep Purple
Senor - Bob Dylan
On the Turning Away - Pink Floyd

Frijid Pink also did a killer version of House of the Rising Sun, make that number five and a half.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

14 (edited by PapaTom 2010-02-24 21:43:55)

1.  The Beatles:  I Saw Her Standing There
2.  Dobie Grey:  Drift Away (original version)
3.  Lee Ann Womack:  I Hope You'll Dance
4.  Kansas:  The Wall
5.  Ringo Starr:  Photograph (that song tugs on MY heartstrings, too, Ray).

Songs #2-5 are subject to change on any given day, but "I Saw Her Standing There" is number 1 for me every time this question is asked.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

1. "Somewhere over the rainbow"
2. "What a wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong
3. "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz
4. "Oh Darlin'" by Paul McCartney
5. "Ace of Spades" my Motorhead

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

OK - so totally different this week.  I'm on a spiritual bent as I struggle through my issues of "someday" and mortality. 

1. "They're Holding Up the Ladder" - gospel bluegrass, I don't recall who wrote it.  Everyone performs it. 
2. "Passing Through" - Randy Travis
3. "This Train" - Randy Travis
4. "Momma Don't 'Low" - I don't remember who did it, it's not spiritual, but what a fun groove to play
5. "Wagon Wheel" - Old Crow Medicine Show. OK, so it's not spiritual either, but there's some things not to put off until Someday, and "Rock me momma like a wagon wheel" is among those things not to put if it can be helped. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

this has taken me a good while. Top 5? I have had to wrestle with my own mind to come up with these.

1.  "Mother"  Pink floyd

2.  "Moving on up"  Primal Scream

3.  "The drugs dont work"  The Verve

4.  " Fulsom prison blues"  Jonny Cash

5.  " All i want is you"  U2

I could write this again in twenty minutes and it would be different, but for now you cant beat this.

Keep the faith.