Topic: Would like your thoughts on a training technique

Good day:

I'm one of those who is trying to learn barre chords.  I've been playing off and on (more off than on) for about 35 years, but only got serious about it last summer.  I can chord pretty quickly and effectively, but I never practiced those infernal barre chords.  Consequently, I pretty much suck at them.

I read a post by manicbassman in another thread, where he said:  "when I'm going in and out of barre chords, I've learned a different set of fingerings for the normal chords that would be those I use for barre minus the first finger. The first is kept ready to barre with when sliding up the neck"

So I got to wondering how I could follow the bassman's lead and "learn a new set of fingerings".

I had a brainstorm and wanted to see what you think.  Somebody has likely thought of this before, but I've never seen it until the idea popped into my head.

My thought is that I should splint my index finger to keep it from being used.  Nothing fancy, a pencil and two rubber bands or pieces of tape will do.  This will force me to use fingers 2 thru 4 to make the A, Am, D and E.  (I know I should also learn to make the G, but for other reasons.)

Does this sound viable?  Anyone ever tried or heard of anything like this?  Feel free to laugh.  I did.

Peace,
'nomikal

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

2 (edited by geoaguiar 2010-02-03 02:44:04)

Re: Would like your thoughts on a training technique

I'm going to say that approach might be a little drastic. Also, if you're adept at open chords don't reinvent yourself. I have heard people say learning to play an open E with your 2nd, 3rd, 4th fingers helped them transition into an "f shaped" bar chord easier. I guess I can sort of see this but I never did it. If you read the threads (and there have been tons of them), the secret is simple...practice, practice and when you're finished practice some more. I'm not sure there's a training secret other than that.  Really, they do suck to learn but you'll be glad you invested the time. It'll make you a more well rounded player and open opportunities you won't have with open chords.

Hope this helps

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

One of the things that distinguishes a "more advanced" player from a "beginning" player is the ability to use alternate fingerings, to not lift fingers that you don't have to, and not to place fingers that you don't have to (all aspects of the same thing, really). 

If you want to learn barre chords (and you do, so much music is vastly easier using them), it really isn't that big a deal to learn to place the 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers.  Once you have those down, the alternate fingerings will be useful in the rest of your playing.  I find myself fingering chords in different ways depending on what I've just done and/or what is coming up all the time, and it really isn't something that I have to think about at this point.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Nobody learns barre chords overnight. In order to learn barre chords you have to dedicate yourself to a lotta practice. There is no Holy Grail type of system that benifit you in learning these chords other than practice. Using different fingerings to for chords will help with both barre chords and open chords so this is something you need to learn. To me, the easist chord progression to learn will be in the Key of "C". This will be an open "C" chord, "E" shaped barre chord (index finger barring 1st fret), and a ""E" shaped barre chord (index finger barring 3rd fret). Practice the chord changes as such. C to F to C to G to F to C and repeat. Once you get this progression down you can move on to other barre chord fingerings such as the dreaded "A" shaped barre chords.

Nela

Astro - I think thats a cool idea, but the proof is in the puddin'. No matter what, experimenting is fun and is part of the learning process. So go for it. Let us know the results. Who knows, maybe you will be the next hot on-line guitar teacher. "Learn Barre Chords Fast by The Revolutionary Astronomikal Method". Only $25 (then send them a popsicle stick and some rubber bands).

Contact Per for advertising opportunities.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

You will find all kinds of techniques to learn, but the best method of all is the one that works for you.  I might just try your method, because I am the same as you.  Been playing open chords for years.  Now it is hard finger them differently.  But, whichever method you try, like stated above, Practice, practice, practice.  I wish you the best of luck and hope your method works for you.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Ok, so I understand the whole learning different fingers for open chords to make the barres easier to get to, BUT.... why learn new fingering and barre chords when you could just learn barre chords. Seems like takeing two steps back to get one step forward. New fingerings will only make barres easier to get to not easier to play (make sound good).

You have to learn those fargin bastage barre chords anyway which is a daunting task on it's own. On top of that you want to go back and learn your open chords again? I'm not too sure I want to pursue that.

My thoughts anyway.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Z, it's not so much that you learn the alternate fingerings first, then go after the barre's; you learn the alternate fingerings when you learn the barre's, and then they are available to you whenever you need them.  I almost never use the "three finger" A chord shape anymore; I figured out how to do the A-form barre with the middle and index fingers, and now I can use just the middle finger to make the A shape -- much easier, faster to change to and from.

The MOST IMPORTANT THING to remember when learning barre chords is not to try and clamp the chord with your thumb.  That will only lead to pain (oh, so much pain) and frustration.  Your thumb is just a guide.  Keep your fingers stiff and pull the chord in from your shoulder, using your arm.  Barre chords are almost effortless, once you learn how to do them RIGHT.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  I've tried it on and off, no results to report yet.

topdown wrote:

"Learn Barre Chords Fast by The Revolutionary Astronomikal Method". Only $25 (then send them a popsicle stick and some rubber bands).

Contact Per for advertising opportunities.

LOL!  Oh man, that's BRILLIANT!  Why didn't I think of that?

OK everybody, forget this thread ever existed.  I'm going into business.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.