Topic: Tuning and Intonation problems

I'm having problems keeping my new guitar in tune. In standard tuning all is fine for ten minutes of playing then the G string goes flat and rings out a litle louder than the others. It all started when i raised the bridge saddle to stop some buzzing on my E string (it was too low). The guitar is a LP copy by Agile and the strings are Daddario 10-46 which are the stock strings. I've already checked and rechecked the intonation on the same string but each time i tune the string i reset the saddle also. I can't figure out what's wrong with it. The strings are only two weeks old and have been stretched but i really haven't played it that much lately. The frets look level the tuners hold good and the neck looks straight. What else do i need to check or do to solve this problem? The only thing i haven't tried is changing the strings. Could it be so simple? Help if you can before i spend money for a set up that i don't need... or do I??? Thanks for any help.

Re: Tuning and Intonation problems

dfoskey,
  My first rule when buying a new guitar:  Change the strings.  I don't care if the manufacturer put those strings on yesterday.  Change them.  Change them before you play the first chord.  Change them before you plug it in for the first time.  Change them to whatever your favorite strings are.  Assume that the only reason those strings are on there is to hold tension on the neck.  Until that guitar is yours, that is the only purpose they serve, so change them. That will probably solve a lot of problems right off the bat.  You will probably have to readjust that saddle again for intonation,  but Tune-o-matics are pretty easy to deal with.  Good luck and let me know what happens please.

Now available in 5G !

tandm3 wrote:

dfoskey,
  My first rule when buying a new guitar:  Change the strings.  I don't care if the manufacturer put those strings on yesterday.  Change them.  Change them before you play the first chord.  Change them before you plug it in for the first time.  Change them to whatever your favorite strings are.  Assume that the only reason those strings are on there is to hold tension on the neck.  Until that guitar is yours, that is the only purpose they serve, so change them. That will probably solve a lot of problems right off the bat.  You will probably have to readjust that saddle again for intonation,  but Tune-o-matics are pretty easy to deal with.  Good luck and let me know what happens please.

Thanks for such a quick response. I thought of that but wasn't sure if it made that much difference. I'll let you know by the weekend. Thanks again.

Did you buy through Rondo Music? He's got the best return policy in the business so at least you're covered. He'll replace or refund with no problems.

Congrats on the new guitar. I've got an AL2500 I've had for a few years...great guitar

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:

Did you buy through Rondo Music? He's got the best return policy in the business so at least you're covered. He'll replace or refund with no problems.

Congrats on the new guitar. I've got an AL2500 I've had for a few years...great guitar

Yeah i got from Rondo. It really is a good guitar and i've grown attatched to it since it's my only good electric if i can just keep the G string in tune.

Sometimes you just do not get that unwound G or B to really grab the post when it is installed. In that case, they will lose tune fast, but be easily tunable. It drives you nuts. up an ddown an dup and...

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

I got it all sorted out by giving the strings a really good hand stretch and rewinding. It stays in tune better now but i'm still changing the strings out to Ernie Ball coated slinkys. I use the EB's on my acoustics and they are the best sounding and easiest to tune and play i've tried so maybe thier electric strings will be as good.

i've had the same problems with d`adario's myself. i changed the set hoping that it was just a bad set, but the replacement set are doing the same. i've put some good old rotosound on my acoustic which have a lovely tone, so i'm gonna give them a go next time, i do use a .009 to .042 set, which are quite light, but i need them as i do a lot of bending during gigs, (i find ernie balls too bendy). so the only advice i can give is try a different make.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

def need to stretch those babies when re stringing