Topic: Anyone familiar with this guitar?

Ibanez Steve Vai signature model - Euphoria EP9.

http://www.guitarworld.com/article/iban … tic_guitar

I don't think it's available any longer.  I have a chance to pick it up at less than half the list price (used), but I'm wondering if I should even bother to go look at it.

Anyone played this one before?

'Nom

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Anyone familiar with this guitar?

Never played one but i'd like to give it a go... I imagine it would be a great performing or plugged in guitar but I think it would sound rather thin acoustically. I'm personally a fan of ibanez acoustics.. I've had 2 of their artwood models and was impressed with both for the price point. That said I don't think Ibanez acoustics hold their value very well. So you may take a loss if you decide to resale it... I'd be willing to try it though if the price was right. Street price is usually about 70% of list and then a used guitar typically loses about 30-35% of that... So that would put it around $750 in value... But like I said Ibanez tend to lose their value fairly fast so I'd think around $650 would be my potential buying price. Those are just my thoughts though wink Best of luck with it! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks for the info, pix.  My wife and I took a road trip today to check it out. 

It has nice balance, it wasn't warped in any way and the finish was essentially like new. 

They wanted $800 for it, but I could have probably talked them down to $650 or so.  I tuned it and played around on it for 30 minutes or so and finally decided to pass on it.

A few things:

1.  The neck was exceptionally narrow.  Maybe Steve Vai has little hands, but I didn't like the feel of it as much as I do my Martin, which has a wide neck.  (My hands are big.)

2.  The finish was very flat and shallow (not glossy), similar to a Martin DX series.  I knew my skin oils would wreck it fairly quickly.

3.  Your suspicions were correct;  It sounds OK plugged in, but without an amp the sound was unimpressive.  Could have been the quality of the strings, which I could tell were ready for a change.

A couple of other "unusalities" about it:  There was no pick guard (which I'll admit I didn't really notice until I saw it "live"), and the hole is oval, not circular.

Anyway, somebody will buy it.  It's a nice guitar and I could tell it was well cared-for, it's just not for me.

Thanks again,
'nomikal

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Don't forget: it is not the guitar who will play like STEVE VAI, it is the player, in this case you.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]