Re: What's the hardest chord you ever encountered?

I said it three times and I will say it a fith time, Cheat, if ye canny play the chord properly then cheat until you have practiced and practiced until you can get the chord, or like me, just continue cheating

For the F chord I just play the 4 strings, leave the E and the A string out completely, ye still get that F sound, same as Bm, F#
And although the likes of Em7 is easy, just play Em and dont play the B or e string.

cheating is wonderful on the guitar.

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

i'm only 13 and i've only been playin 4 a while but F was the hardest so far but i've nearly got it

~B@rn3y~

music.rox101xox wrote:

i'm only 13 and i've only been playin 4 a while but F was the hardest so far but i've nearly got it

Hello and welcome to Chordie. Certainly the F chord is not easy to master and I am pleased that you have just about cracked it. Keep at it and very soon you will be wondering about the next hard one to learn.

Take care,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

wannabefun wrote:

i saw a really freeking ugly chord (in my opinion) a few days ago, was something like a... donno... D#m7/Bb
not only does it sound terrible to play, it IS tongue

e  3
B  0
G  3
D  3
A  -
E  3

think it was something like this,... how am i supposed to play that when i gotta keep the A-sting out? tongue plz, hints, tips, alwayts welcome.. been playing for half a year now, can hardly do anny barré cords 2, so tips about that are also very useful

This chord sound awful but if you want to play it use the following fingering:

e Little finger
B open
G Ring finger
D Middle finger
E Forefinger which also lightly touches the A string to mute it.

Hers's a very nice chord. It's somewhat difficult to play, but mainly it's just beautiful.

C Maj 9

e- 3
b- 3
G-4
D-2
A-3
E-3

*for E and A use thumb to push down.

Hi everybody ,
   Have'nt had time to be on here forever , but had to respond to this one ...
   To me , I have to get with my buddy Zurf , ... B open is one that I never use , does'nt matter whether I'm doing covers or writing my own stuff ... I just do not use it ... I transpose to get out of it , L O L ... In the first place , I think that it is a lame sounding chord ... I'll take any other chord over it ... Having said that , I have no problem using it as a barre chord down the neck at the , whatever fret it is ... Guess that I've been playing so long that I don't even know where I'm playing as long as I get the job done , L O L ...
                                                                   Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

That's right GSE.  "B" isn't even WORTH playing.  Stupid chord.  Why would anyone want to play a B? 

I like where you're going with this. 

Well, since this thread started, Tin Cup Chalice has moved into one of my best songs for playing and the C,G,B7,Em in rapid succession doesn't even give me a bit of pause.  F and F#m and Bm are now pretty consistent chords, though I sometimes still muddle them when trying to stay on beat especially in a Jim Croce song where he throws them out to show off and make campfire pickers like myself jealous of his talent. 

B remains evil.  And now, as GSE has so astutely observed, isn't even worth playing because it's a stupid sounding chord in the first place. 

- Zurf

p.s.  Thank you waiter, I prefer my grapes sour.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

There sure is a lot of "B" haters out there. Add my name to the list although years ago I just decided to use the cheater version 22444x.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

59 (edited by ozymandias 2010-03-03 19:51:42)

I would say B any chord, but, my teacher is pushing them and I am getting a tad better.  However, I'm with Zurf on F#m, it is hard and I can do without it.  THough one of my favorite Jim Croce songs has it.  Oy  I muddle thru.  My biggest challenge is a rapid transition from G to F and back to G on the traditional folk tune "Ground Hog."  Then my fret hand develops major spasms and it's all I can do to keep up with the rest of the String Band class.  OY

Now if there was only something I could do about the "Brain Worms" that I get whenever we play this and certain other folk tunes for long durations. 

Brain Worms......the song that gets stuck in your head and you can't get it out!!  yikes

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

F and B is my problem, can change ok on A,D,C,E,G, Am, Em, Dm and even D7,A7,D7. Its them dam barre chords. I can do the wee F, B! not a hope...lol..

I agree with the B chord, but I use the cheater chord with two fingers the same as I use the cheater for Bb, just up one more fret.  They sound OK to me.  Maybe not the best sounding, but good enough for me.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

I agree with the B chord, but I use the cheater chord with two fingers the same as I use the cheater for Bb, just up one more fret.  They sound OK to me.  Maybe not the best sounding, but good enough for me.

My teacher is showing me a few cheats as well.  As long as they sound good, thats what matters.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

ozymandias wrote:

I would say B any chord, but, my teacher is pushing them and I am getting a tad better.  However, I'm with Zurf on F#m, it is hard and I can do without it.  THough one of my favorite Jim Croce songs has it.  Oy  I muddle thru.  My biggest challenge is a rapid transition from G to F and back to G on the traditional folk tune "Ground Hog."  Then my fret hand develops major spasms and it's all I can do to keep up with the rest of the String Band class.  OY

Now if there was only something I could do about the "Brain Worms" that I get whenever we play this and certain other folk tunes for long durations. 

Brain Worms......the song that gets stuck in your head and you can't get it out!!  yikes

Use the barre G.  It's the same shape as F but up two frets.  Then all you have to do is relax your hand, slide up two frets, and retension your fingers. 

G to F to G becomes much easier with the barre, even though barres aren't fun they're funner than G to F to G without them.  Is funner a word? 

Maybe there's a deworming pill like dogs get for heartworms to help with your other problem.   

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

That sounds funner than anything else I've come across.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Zurf wrote:
ozymandias wrote:

Use the barre G.  It's the same shape as F but up two frets.  Then all you have to do is relax your hand, slide up two frets, and retension your fingers. 

G to F to G becomes much easier with the barre, even though barres aren't fun they're funner than G to F to G without them.  Is funner a word? 

Maybe there's a deworming pill like dogs get for heartworms to help with your other problem.   

- Zurf

Thanks. actually the best cure for a brain worm is listening to another catchy tune with my bose headphones.  A tune that I like and hit repeat button several times! 

I'm sure funner is a word, if not, it should be!

lol I like this thread, kinda cracks me up.

Hows this for a hard chord, came across it while learning Romance by pagganini

e-8
b-5
c-5
d-5
a-7
e-8

It's like a G chord form, only you get to bar with your first finger what the nut usually takes care of. It's brutal, cuz the song wants all 6 clean at once. That's the hardest chord I've ever learned, I've nailed it now though.

Normally for me any chord is really easy, including the barre chords, but the chords that really give me a pain in the neck are the movable chords (used mostly for jazz) On chord in particular is th Gm11 movable chord:

e--x--
B--1--
G--3--
D--3--
A--x--
E--3--

Its might not seem difficult, but there are alot more of those!!!

Iron Finger wrote:

Normally for me any chord is really easy, including the barre chords, but the chords that really give me a pain in the neck are the movable chords (used mostly for jazz) On chord in particular is th Gm11 movable chord:

e--x--
B--1--
G--3--
D--3--
A--x--
E--3--

Ugh.  That doesn't even look like fun to try.

- Zurf

Any of the Augmented chords are killers, so I ignore them!!

Iron Finger wrote:

e--x--
B--1--
G--3--
D--3--
A--x--
E--3--

Lets see if one of the Theory Gurus will shoot me down over this comment. To me this chord does not make sense for two reasons.

1/ Expecting one to strum and not play the A string but play the E and the D is asking the impossible.

2/ With this particular chord the B is played on the first fret making a C so why not play the A on the 3rd fret (like its surrounding strings) to play a C.

Of course there is  a lot easier Gm11 to play, and that is 333333.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

You're pretty much right on the mark, Roger, from a theory standpoint, anyway.   To fret a m11 in that way doesn't make a lot of sense.  That *is* Gm11, but there's a whole lot easier ways to play it.   You're fretting the C on the B string, instead of just barring it all the way across the 3rd fret and hitting it on the A string.  You need the C to make it an 11, and you get that either way.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

As my guitar teacher always shows me, there is always an easier way to do a hard or difficult chord.  It just takes the right teacher and the right knowledge of the fret board. 

smile

The modified F was the hardest chord for me. I spent a month and a half trying to play Neil Young's "Old Man" and could only make the F chord ring about 1/4 of the time. One night I got really frustrated and decided it wasn't me, it was the action on my guitar. So I loosened the B and E strings, slipped them out of their grooves in the nut, and started sawing at the grooves with a kitchen knife. Little by little I cut down  the action to where I could use my index finger to fret the B and E to make the F. Somehow I was able to do this without causing the strings to buzz. Just dumb beginner's luck.

When I come across a hard cord I drop my pick, oops!! And then I bend over till it passes

Roger Guppy wrote:
Iron Finger wrote:

e--x--
B--1--
G--3--
D--3--
A--x--
E--3--

Lets see if one of the Theory Gurus will shoot me down over this comment. To me this chord does not make sense for two reasons.

1/ Expecting one to strum and not play the A string but play the E and the D is asking the impossible.

2/ With this particular chord the B is played on the first fret making a C so why not play the A on the 3rd fret (like its surrounding strings) to play a C.

Of course there is  a lot easier Gm11 to play, and that is 333333.

Roger

That is actually a nice chord, but don't strum it. Use your thumb for the E string and your fingers for the other 3. Also use your thumb to fret the E string, it helps to mute the A string. If you slide your thumb down one fret to the 2nd fret. you get a nice F#maj 7th.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.