Topic: new instrument in the house

My daughter just bought a violin/fiddle from the local music store and while I was looking at it I noticed there was no finish on the back of the neck. Not being a fiddler(although goodwife says I fiddle around) I was just curious,is this normal or did the shop take advantage of my daughters lack of knowledge and sell her a piece of junk. Also if anyone can direct me/her to some links with lessons as there are no violin instructors around here that I'm aware of,that would be great. The local music shop is of no help here offering only beginner guitar lessons and not much else. I appreciate any input from anyone with any experience at all.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Re: new instrument in the house

Hi... I was just looking thru at posts that have not had a response... I can't help out much, other than to suggest googling for the info... hopefully my response tho will bump this up so someone with some answers for you can help out! smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I just ran a search and they claim it is normal not to finish the neck.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 352AAclTyx

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hey bswyers ,
   Sorry , I did'nt see this post earlier ...
In my experience the necks are finished ( that is sealed ) , but not stained ... I suppose this is due to the fact that that little neck is exposed to a lot of handling and the color would just wear off anyway ... My older fiddles don't have any finish at all left on the necks ...
   As far as learning material , there is a lot available on the web , but I would recommend getting her a good self teaching book that comes with a CD ...
What ever you do , make sure she has a tuner , pitch pipe , or other means of tuning the thing ... Standard tuning is G D A E , from the heavy to the light strings respectively ... If I remember correctly , it will be tuned around middle C if you have a piano or keyboard in the house ... G will be just to the low side of C and the rest just to the high side ... Any good beginner book will have the basic dos and don'ts ... I could go on forever about a lot of basics that I had to learn the hard way , but a good book will get her started ...
                               Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

My fiddle is fairly old, and "well loved" by its former owners... there is no finish to speak of on the neck, except for the skin oils it has soaked up over the years. Quite smooth, and feels good to the touch.

Finding the pitches with my left hand came quickly, but I never mastered the art of the bow (and have since moved on to other instruments!). I have a feeling that is the downfall of many potential fiddlers... having an experienced teacher would be helpful when it comes to handling the bow.

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

Hey all, thanks for the input and info. I'm glad that not finishing the neck is a standard thing and not just shoddy workmanship. We're going to try some finger position markers for the neck and try to find some online video instruction for her. Hopefully she'll stick with this (unlike the piano and acoustic and bass guitars) if not then maybe I'll give it a try. (I always enjoyed Charlie Daniels)  . I'll try to keep an update of her progress here. Again thanks for your input

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

bswyers wrote:

Hey all, thanks for the input and info. I'm glad that not finishing the neck is a standard thing and not just shoddy workmanship. We're going to try some finger position markers for the neck and try to find some online video instruction for her. Hopefully she'll stick with this (unlike the piano and acoustic and bass guitars) if not then maybe I'll give it a try. (I always enjoyed Charlie Daniels)  . I'll try to keep an update of her progress here. Again thanks for your input

Any updates to share? Our middle grandson got one for Christmas and none of us can help him get started.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I'd also recommend reading Atarah Ben-Tovim's book "The Right Instrument For Your Child" which gives good advice on what kind of instrument children of different ages can physically handle as well as other elements such as violins/fiddles resonate through the skeletal frame and skull which some children really don't like - I was horrified I'd put my daughter through this for 18 months before reading the book but it turns out she likes the feeling and is still voluntarily practising between lessons!

The stickers on the neck are really helpful but I think kids do better with a tutor in a small group.  If the lesson is 30 mins - 1 hour and they're having fun during it there shouldn't be too much pressure to practice in between until they know that they're actually enjoying it!

That's been my experience, my 5 year old is now keen to play but just doesn't have a great deal of patience to sit for long, I have however shown her how to hold and strum a ukulele and she can now play a C chord!

A friend has given my 5 year old a 1/4 sized fiddle but two of the tuning pegs (D & E?) are so loose we can't tune.

Should it be inexpensive to change the pegs - I've got a few individuals I can go to but an idea of how much is too much would  be helpful

Hi Zyg ,
    In my experience , many times when a fiddle's peg holes are worn , if you just pick up pegs made for a viola and use them , that will solve the problem ... Having said that though , I have never had occasion to repair a 1/4 size violin , so I'm not sure if the pegs are the same size as a 4/4 ... If not , then just upfitting to 4/4 size pegs should fix it also .........
                                                                                             Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

11 (edited by boboleeenk 2010-04-10 07:09:02)

bswyers wrote:

My daughter just bought a violin/fiddle from the local music store and while I was looking at it I noticed there was no finish on the back of the neck. Not being a fiddler(although goodwife says I fiddle around) I was just curious,is this normal or did the shop take advantage of my daughters lack of knowledge and sell her a piece of junk. Also if anyone can direct me/her to some links with lessons as there are no violin instructors around here that I'm aware of,that would be great. The local music shop is of no help here offering only beginner guitar lessons and not much else. I appreciate any input from anyone with any experience at all.

I play fiddle. Having said that, I will tell you, that I wouldn't worry about the neck not having any finish on it. As far as getting started, I have found a site that I think is really, good as far as internet learning goes. It would be nice  if you could find someone locally, to teach your daughter, but if you want to look toward the internet, here is a link you might want to check out:
http://www.jaybuckey.com     (click on the link, or, copy and paste this link into your address bar)

I stumbled onto this site, a year or so ago, and I will tell you, that it is (in my opinion), a good one. It is for not only the beginner, but for anyone . You can get beginners books and courses, as well as CD's . The accomplished musician would do well to visit this site also. There are things that would interest most musicians on this site. It is not only for violins but other instruments, (guitar, banjo, etc.), as well.
I hope this helps you. Keep in touch. I'd be curious as to what you end up doing.

zygoticukester: If it were my violin, I would take it to some one who repairs instruments, violins included-especially violins. Those holes that the pegs (tuning keys, they're called), are tapered and they have to be reemed slightly, to fix them.(they are worn from lots of use). They use a special tool to do this with. The holes are reemed with this tool, and they are just reemed a little, not a lot. Just enough to "dress " them up a bit so the pegs will hold. This is usually done by a repair person that has such a tool, and who knows what he is doing. As to how expensive, I don't know, but I wouldn't think it would be to awfully much, (under a hundred dollars). To me, it would be worth it. I wouldn't want to take a chance on ruining my violin, with any other solution, other,than  the right  (correct) one.