Topic: yer favourite blues progression

I love the key of A and E the most - although I play blues in most keys - I cannot seem to venture out of certain tonal centres - example - when I play Johnny be good - I use the key of G - But I do a whole lot of songs using a beaut 12 bar in E. In other words I really like the sound of the blues in E....I guess it's just the way you evolve as a guitarist - but I play the same riffs over and over again.....But last night I pulled out my Blues book - with some tasty 7th bar chords in A - It just sounds so sweet - I cannot seem to play it many other keys tho - I have been playing for at least 12 years - I play alot of different genres - Im loving Jazz too at the moment - Oh - also - I just brought a Boss RC 50 - just awsome - has anyone else got one - Oh - and another thing - I have had this Korean made Tele under my bed for the last twenty years - I think its from the late 70's early 80's - it's inspired me to play more blues now - the sound from the neck pick -up is so sweet - not to mention the maple full length neck!!!! just Heaven - I guess there's no definitive question...just what are yer favourite blues progressions to Lead solo over! Thanks Chordians!!!

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

Re: yer favourite blues progression

Don't knock the 12 bar blues in Em.  There are 1,000s of songs played in this key, why ? cause it sounds so very cool.
TonyBlue

man is the dream of the doliphin

I've given this a lot of thought, and I'm going to go with I-IV-V.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

I've been thinking about this a lot, as well, and I have to agree with dguyton - 1...4...5 work quite well.

Nela

5 (edited by tubatooter1940 2010-03-05 18:36:11)

"Hard Times" by Ray Charles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFaUmhgJtBU

The chord progression is:

C,C9,E,Aminor,C#9,Gm,C9
F,Ebdim C, Aminor9 ,AM,Ab7,G7,C,G

The progression repeats exactly for all verses and sounds cool and sophistocated.
toots

P.S. Thank you Russel Harding for leaving my mistake up and allowing me to remedy it.
Dennis Gray

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?