Re: What do you do for a living?

zguitar wrote:

WOW!!!!

We cover a very wide spectrum don't we? But no doctors, lawyers, or rocket scientists, hmmmmm....

Very cool stuff tho, keep 'em coming.

We're a bunch of misfits... that probably are all intelligent enough to have been doctors, lawyers, and rocket scientists!  LOL!  I *almost* went to school for Vet Medicine... I considered law school.  ALMOST doesn't count tho!  ha ha!

Far from a lawyer... but similar in some ways.  I used to work on behalf of BIG companies handling their unemployment claims.  I once participated in a telephone hearing representing one of them.  I was required to fully comprehend unemployment law in every state.  I also was on the flip side of that... a Union Steward at one point making sure my coworkers didn't get screwed over.  I had to completely understand our contract.

You'd be REALLY surprised to find how many companies (hello... HR departments!) and individuals can't comprehend laws and contracts that are designed to help/protect them.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

You're going to law school, Jerome?  Good for you.  I suppose yopu've heard all the lawyer jokes.  smile

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Have always been interested in photography, and somehow found myself getting into repairing cameras & other photographic equipment. I used to run a shop doing repairs & some secondhand retail but this closed a few years back, due to cameras becoming so dirt cheap - digital being the final nail. I work from home now, but there's not much to be found these days!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

bensonp wrote:

You're going to law school, Jerome?  Good for you.  I suppose yopu've heard all the lawyer jokes.  smile

Yeah. Told most of 'em, too.  The program I want into is a dual masters.  JD (law) along with a Masters in International Business.  It's really the MIB that is the key to all the doors.  The JD just keeps people honest.   I have no desire to litigate, so I'll probably never take the Bar exam.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:
bensonp wrote:

Yeah. Told most of 'em, too.  The program I want into is a dual masters.  JD (law) along with a Masters in International Business.  It's really the MIB that is the key to all the doors.  The JD just keeps people honest.   I have no desire to litigate, so I'll probably never take the Bar exam.

Sounds like a better plan than jumping thru hoops to go to a "good" law school or whatever society "holds dear."   The MIB will rely on diplomacy and musical skills will play a big part in that.  Music is certainly an international language that has no boundaries.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

31 (edited by bensonp 2010-03-06 01:57:43)

Well, best oif luck to you, Jerome.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

32 (edited by ozymandias 2010-03-05 23:41:32)

Quid pro quo, hic ad hic, tongue

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Hello all,  I work for a large green energy provider here in central Queensland. My company extracts coal seam gas and delivers it via pipelines to processing plants for export and also into a national grid for domestic use. The company also has their own power stations using coal seam gas to generate electricty, and once again delivered into a national power grid for domestic use. My title and role is that of superintendant with my main function being to ensure that employed contractors meet compliance requirements in areas of contract, project specifications, safety and relevant legislation. A challenging but very satisfying position. The down side is the lack of available strumming time, however, life is all about compromise.
All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

34 (edited by hopeful 2010-03-06 10:38:30)

I am a nurse.

I live in north Mississippi and I build transmission for race cars

don't smoke weed with Willie

Well, my buddy Herschel who came on Chordie to comment on the song I wrote about him "Herschel's Campfire Song", is a rocket scientist.  My other buddy AlfromWV who came on to harass Herschel on his song is a nuclear engineer, and while I'm not an attorney I do work with them all day and am in the Legal department.  And Phil is a doctor.  He's not been around much lately, but he's in our thoughts so that counts I suppose. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

We've got some pretty high end guitar players in here.

I've rubbed elbows with a couple a lawyers , and it cost me alot of money to spend time with them, but it was better than spending more time in the crowbar inn smile

Later, Wayne P

No desire to practice criminal law, or family law, or even see the inside of a courtroom.  I want to sit in a board room and negotiate contracts.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

No desire to practice criminal law, or family law, or even see the inside of a courtroom.  I want to sit in a board room and negotiate contracts.

I've done that for many years without a JD.  I can even recall teasing one company about how much I must have scared them when it was me on one side of the table and four attorneys on the other side of the table.  A law degree will help, though.  Quite a lot. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

jerome.oneil wrote:

That sounds like it would be fun, honestly... but exhausting at times.  Good for you for knowing what you want and going after it Jerome!  smile

Zurf... ha ha... did you kick those lawyers butts on the other side of the table?  I used to REALLY enjoy understanding the UI laws and Contracts and having chats with the "higher ups" and putting them in their place.  Explaining to the owners and HR reps (college educated people... while I was NOT college educated) that you can't fire someone because you don't like them and then not allow them Unemployment became a bit annoying after a while.  Keeping people's jobs by highlighting points in our Union contract on the other hand was 99% pure pleasure.  The 1% that wasn't enjoyable was when I could save someone's job but didn't feel they deserved it.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I'm a Microsoft Certified IT guy in the UK looking after school systems both Curriculum and Admin. It pays the bills (just, but then what job does? (If that makes sence))

big_smile [b]Its in the name![/b]

mekidsmom wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

That sounds like it would be fun, honestly... but exhausting at times.  Good for you for knowing what you want and going after it Jerome!  smile

Zurf... ha ha... did you kick those lawyers butts on the other side of the table?  I used to REALLY enjoy understanding the UI laws and Contracts and having chats with the "higher ups" and putting them in their place.  Explaining to the owners and HR reps (college educated people... while I was NOT college educated) that you can't fire someone because you don't like them and then not allow them Unemployment became a bit annoying after a while.  Keeping people's jobs by highlighting points in our Union contract on the other hand was 99% pure pleasure.  The 1% that wasn't enjoyable was when I could save someone's job but didn't feel they deserved it.

No I didn't kick their butts.  We did negotiate a suitable contract that was advantageous for both companies.  I did get a job offer out of it.  When the director of contracts for that company left, the managing director instructed a recruiter to 'get that guy who got the best of us' on the particular deal.  So they seemed to think that I kicked their butts, but honestly I think we just came out to a reasonable agreement that allowed us both to make a responsible profit and still served our client at a fair price.  That's all I ever try to do in a negotiation. 

- Zurf

I'm a 26yo biochemist from Serbia (Southeast Europe). Main fields are immunology and proteomics, but I worked in almost all fields. Acoustic guitar and photography from 1999. to present day have been my way to escape from cliche, especially from stories about Serbian integration into EU... I'm Chordie.com member since 2006, but I joined the forum yesterday.
Cheers smile

I handle whse vending problems and freight loss claims for a retail chian distribution center throughout the southeast. It's not as luxurious as i'd like but it pays the bills and keeps the family fed.

Welcome Ivanp84.

- Zurf

Thanks Zurf wink

I buy and sell commercial catering equipment. Recon mostly. Lots of dirty kitchens in Scotland, at least i know where and where not to go for a meal with my wife. Keep the faith.

I'm a Fitter and Turner in the prototyping workshop for an RF / Antenna manufacturing company in South Africa.
Know how to injure myself ( and other people ) with milling machines, lathes, drill machines, plasma cutters and welding machines.
Asked the company for a 50 tonne hydraulic press, can you believe they said No!!.
Management take all the excitement out of coming to work.

Jamie R

I was a public servant working for a local city government.  I retired after 30 years of doing human resources stuff such as hiring, firing, training and job safety.  I think I liked the training part of it the best, especially the part where I "tried" to train managers how they should do their job.  Unfortunately, many of them never "got it".  I also enjoyed administrative hearings for employees who misbehaved.  This was like being an in-house prosecutor in some cases and a "public" defender at other times.  An in-house private detective/lawyer/trainer if you will!  I probably would have been very good in a courtroom setting if I had actually went to law school.  I have always made hell-of-a-good arguments!  In my spare time (lol) over the years, I also owned and managed a couple of family owned local taverns.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio