Topic: CD Burning

Colud anyone help with the burning of CDs, I burn now with Windows Media Player, at the slowest speed that I can, but some will only play on some strieos and not others, I have been told that Nero is very good, but would solve my problem ?, and it looks to cost around £40, it has a lot of things I don't need, all I want to do is burn my home made CDs.  My computer is a Advent lap top, and I wonder if it is not very good at burning ?. if so could I get a better burner ?.

Any help would be most welcome.

TonyBlue

man is the dream of the doliphin

Re: CD Burning

Tony, I have got a nero disc which I got when I bought my laptop, send me your address and I will lend it to you to try, I have never used it , tried it once didnt bother after that. Tony Nulty. South Wales. send your address to tonynulty@aol.com ok pal.

TonyBlue... sometimes it's just the disks that you're using.  I would try a different brand and see if that solves your problem.  Also, some older CD players (made before burning became popular) just can't handle a burned disk.  Different software "could" help, so I'd take tonynulty up on his offer as well.  Good luck!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I have the same problem with media player the disc's only play on newer DVD or CD players fortunately I can record direct to my BR-8 with a Y chord and transfer this to my CD maker (phill Williams tip) and I dont have to use Media Player smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thank you all, I think tonynulty is very kind, and I will send him my address, but mekiksmom may have hit the nail on the head, yesterday I got some disks form Tesco, they only had there own brand, the problem seems worse today, when using the Tesco disks.

Once again I thank the members of this site for takeing the time to help others.

TonyBlue

tony eaves wrote:

Thank you all, I think tonynulty is very kind, and I will send him my address, but mekiksmom may have hit the nail on the head, yesterday I got some disks form Tesco, they only had there own brand, the problem seems worse today, when using the Tesco disks.

Once again I thank the members of this site for takeing the time to help others.

TonyBlue

Yeah, I've had the same experience with at least three different brands.  Memorex for instance didn't work for me.  I'm using Phillips 52X CDs this time around, but that's the first thing I wwitch these days when either record or playback isn't working.  Also, I've found on my 2003 Chevy there are some discs that play which don't play on Home CD Players....probably related to the age of the CD player.

Steve

Hi Steve, I thought Memorex where one of top brands, so which should I buy, also I have a Sony HiFi in the home, the booklet with it tells you it wont play home recorded disks, and they are right, it wont.
TonyBlue

Yeah Tony, that's what I was thinking when I bought them but quality has not been the issue.  For me it seems compatability is often the problem.   It seems to be different for different machines, so I experiment and then take note of which one worked.  For my current computer it's a Emachines desktop and I'm using Phillips CD-R 52X but I only burn on 16X just to be sure.  Good luck.

Steve

I don't really burn music cd's anymore ... we all have ipods or cell phones that play mp3's around the house now a days.  When I was burning them, I had problems with memorex in my other cd burner.  It was an aftermarket burner that I added to a computer.  I recall being really surprised when I looked into it back then, thinking Memorex was a "great" name brand... but that actually is NOT the case!  Apparently there are some differences in the quality of blank CD's depending upon where they were manufactured.  I just looked this up to refresh my memory... check this link out (comments from 2002):

http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/thread/147411005.aspx

I'm not sure what the suggestion is now on what's good and what's not... but I have TDK DVD-R's that I use to burn DVD's and large amounts of data generally without any problems (sometimes my older DVD player doesn't like them, sometimes it does).  I use Sonic to burn DVD's... I hear Nero is good... and I didn't like Roxio when I had it on my older machine.  I also have Fujifilm CD-RW's that I use for files... and I've got some pictures saved on Kodak CD-R's.  I haven't had any issues with those, but I only use them in computers!  I see that my mother purchased a stack of Memorex DVD-R's for me... haven't opened and tried them yet.  It'll be sad if that's a stack of 25 frisbees.  sad

Good luck, let us know if you find a good brand that works for you!  Next time I go shopping, I think I'll try Steve's suggestion on the Phillips brand!  smile

Thank you very much mekidsmom,
I have read your link, and like you I wll also try Phililps
Tony

Nero Disk on way, on Monday 8th March.

Cheers Tony,
One thing I run with Vista, not windows, no mater we wil see when it comes.
Thanks Tony
Tony

Vista is Windows software I also use Vista smile

tony eaves wrote:

Cheers Tony,
One thing I run with Vista, not windows, no mater we wil see when it comes.
Thanks Tony
Tony

Russell,  Vista is the new operating system, things the run on Vista wont run on the older operating sytem
tonyblue

I think Windows 7 is the new system but no matter not worth debating it I hope everthing works out ok either way smile

Hi Tony,
Looks like Russell was wrong, the disk will not work in my computer, it will let me up-grade to fit my system, but at a cost of £40, so I wont be doing that, but thanks very much.
You have not sent me a return address, just send me a private e-mail and I will send it back with the postage that you paid.
Thanks again TonyBlue

Russell was wrong? I dont recall telling you the disk would work. when I spoke of Nero in another thread I was referring to the burning program not a disk smile

tony eaves wrote:

Hi Tony,
Looks like Russell was wrong, the disk will not work in my computer, it will let me up-grade to fit my system, but at a cost of £40, so I wont be doing that, but thanks very much.
You have not sent me a return address, just send me a private e-mail and I will send it back with the postage that you paid.
Thanks again TonyBlue

hi tony,

burning disks is a bit of a minefield! some disks wont play on older players, some wont play on expensive ones!!! so you ask "what's the point?" i've got no answer.

i know i'm just an old fart, but has the CDR+ or - got anything to do with it. i've got a philips CD recorder, and it will only record on one type,(cant remember which as i haven't used in a while)

surely you can down-load a free burner program? i've seen some on CNET, give them a go.

and check out if your burning to data or music....

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Have you tried burning with iTunes?  I had problems with  the Roxio burner AND Windows Media before I finally tried iTunes.  Now all my audio discs burn fine.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Thanks to you both, I will try your suggestions
TonyBlue

That's a good point Phill; I do recall there being a big difference between the + - with the aftermarket burner that I had... but I'm pretty sure that this only applies to DVD disks.  I believe all CDR disks are of the "-" flavor (CD-R) ... I don't think there are CD+R or CD+RW.  DVD-R was the first one DVD+R came after and has different capabilities but the cheaper or older DVD recording drives did not support the + option... so if you are buying DVDR stick with the DVD-R if you are in doubt (although now you can buy DVD-+R so the disks support recorders that will do both, or just one). 

On another note... you do want to stay away from the CD-RW for burning and playing music in a traditional CD player, I imagine many of them will not recognize the disk... the RW (rewritable) media is more for saving files and such, not designed for creating a playable disk (and it's more expensive).

Some software will also ask you if you want to "close" the CD when you are finished... the answer is YES!  If you don't close the CD it will not be readable. 

itunes is an excellent option for burning music files to CD for playing... it is free... good suggestion PaPaTom!  As a windows user however, it takes a bit getting used to for navigation purposes.  They do have downloads available for Xp, Vista, and probably the new Windows7 as well.  It's not an all inclusive burning program, but will absolutely do what you want it to when it comes to burning music cd's!  Another simple answer to the software issue!

When ever I burn ANYTHING... the first thing I do when it's complete is put it back into the computer to see if the computer can recognize it before even bothering to try it in a CD player or DVD player.  Figure, if the computer it was burned on can't recognize it then nothing else is going to.  If not, then it is probably the disk itself.

Thank you all,
Mekidsmom thank you for the itunes idea, I will surely try that one out.
Once again a big thank you to all this sites users for all the help that they offer.
TonyBlue

I was just looking through my discs (and there are many!) and I've found some that will only record on my stand alone CD recorder and they are TDK CD-Music. I think you have to use DATA discs in your PC.

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Cheers Phil,
I have gone and got a copy of Nero,

and I am buting cheap CDs again, so far so good.
tonyblue

I recieved the disc a couple of days ago, + the postage. thanks Tony