Topic: Question

In all the guitar catalogs, online research, etc, I've done it seems like acoustic electric guitars are cheaper then their acoustic counterparts. Why is this? Seems like the acoustic electric would be more with the electronics and such. Any ideas why? I think I should have posted this in the acoustic section. Sorry, its been awhile.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Re: Question

Heya Selso,

Welcome home,

I have become more of an acoustic nut. For me and alot of folks, I would never buy another acoustic electric if it had a hole cut in it and a square piece of plastic for electronics stuck in it. I own a couple ,  and I like them, I'm just saying, Alot of folks are after a pure acoustic sound and usually add a pickup that does not have an effect on the acoustic sound when unplugged.

I don't want it to sound snobbish but seems the more we play the more we try to find a natural, balanced , acoustic sound.

Later, Wayne P

I have an acoustic electric and never plug it in thats because when I first got it I didn't like the sound when I used it to record with so now I mic it when recording it sounds a lot better and has a nice warm feel played without an amp I only use Martin silk n steel they dont last more then a few weeks before loseing the tone I like but its worth it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I had an acoustic electric Takamine that just never sounded that great plugged in. Would have bought just the straight acoustic version but they literally wanted like 200 bucks extra.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I'm with wayne on this... I prefer straight acoustic and then I'll add my own pickup system to the guitar if I want to plug in for live performances. Like Russ I almost always mic mine when recording though.

It's odd that you're finding the same model cheaper with electronics... They are usually higher in price. Not so much because of the electronics but because of the added manufactoring cost of the cut-aways that come on most acoustic electrics. Also remember, when looking for a natural acousic sound the amp plays a large role. An acoustic amp can make all the diffrence! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

6 (edited by wlbaye 2010-03-20 18:43:04)

I have played alot of Takamines and like Pix says a good acoustic amp is very important. Most of the takamines I have played have sounded better plugged than unplugged . They are known for their good electronics.

There are alot of good Acoustics on the market and I have played quite a few lately that are solid wood and most were made or assembled in China.

Some with very good tone and are  affordable.

1 Blueridge                Some of these solid wood models, you would think should cost more.

2 Crafter                    I played one of these yesterday a Dread mohagany back and sides that was really nice

3 Epiphone Masterbilt  I have a Mahogany DR-500MNS  they also have one with a solid Rosewood back and sides that is really somethin

4 Recording King     I haven't played this one yet , but hearing good things.

5 Guild                    The american made guilds aren't much more than the Chinese and both are good

Most of these are in the $500-$600 range and I would play them anywhere.

Solid wood Acoustics is where it's at smile

Later, Wayne P

I've got a Takamine G Series with a TK-4. Sounds excellent plugged in. Sounds excellent unplugged. I have others that I mike. For me the difference is suttle. For gigging I would think you'd rather not have to mic it if given the choice...just another thing to go wrong!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Sorry Geo,

I wasn't bashing Takamine guitars, I just sold one recently and I still have one.  I kinda got off topic a little, but I have been playing alot of guitars lately and I have played a lot of solid wood guitars that have been really nice and they are affordable.

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

Sorry Geo,

I wasn't bashing Takamine guitars, I just sold one recently and I still have one.  I kinda got off topic a little, but I have been playing alot of guitars lately and I have played a lot of solid wood guitars that have been really nice and they are affordable.

Nope...no worries. I didn't take it as a bash. I was pleasantly suprised by the preinstalled pick up is all. Very rich sounding. I never thought I would not mic an acoustic but this one doesn't need it.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello