Topic: American Idol 9: Musicians' Perspective?

As painful as the first eight seasons of this show were to watch, I stuck them out so I could have something to talk about with my Mom.  This year, the best of the Top 11 is barely as good as the worst of the kids I have to cut from my local community talent shows each year. 

However, while I'm watching these pathetic youngsters (Crystal being the obvious exception) murdering perfectly good songs each week, I can't help but imagine that 95% of America is thinking "Wow, that kid has SOMMME voice!"

Just wondering...am I the only musician who still bothers to watch this show?  And, if you are still keeping up with it (even if just for mom's sake, like me), are you finding it as much of a chore to sit through as I am?

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Re: American Idol 9: Musicians' Perspective?

I've never really given it a chance, though I've heard bad things. Seems like that Simon guy is a jerk. Takes alot of courage to get up there and sing just to have someone put you down the way he does.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

DON'T WATCH IT...NEVER WILL.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I hope I don't get beat up,

I watch it and am just amazed year after year and repeatedly tell my wife you could go to any high school choir and find better singers for the most part.

Crystal Bowersox is the exception, she plays guitar very good and does it with ease and that is who she is a acoustic guitar playing singer songwriter.

No one ever told Bob Dylan, Neil Young , John Prine and on and on to put the guitar down and quit hiding behind it. When Ellen and Kara , Judges on AI told her that you can tell they don't know squat about folk music and folksingers.

Even if you don't watch the show, you should check out Crystal Bowersox, she has got it figured out, what a great performer !

Later, Wayne P

5 (edited by PapaTom 2010-03-24 18:46:06)

>>>>Even if you don't watch the show, you should check out Crystal Bowersox, she has got it figured out, what a great performer !<<<<

The odd thing is that, during the very early auditions, there were many other contestants on Crystal's level, but the judges hammered the crap out of them while showering praise on contestants I thought had only been included for comic relief.  I guess, in my original post, I should have said "Top 10," rather than "Top 11," because I don't even consider Crystal as part of the show.  She's already got some semblance of a record deal, as far as I'm concerned.

Still, I've got two kids in my roster of performers who could put up a good competition with her and about thirty who would make ANY of the others run home crying.  And I've gotta tell you, between you, me, and the rest of the few people who use the Internet, the kids I'm working with right now are not that good!

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Boycott  AMERICAN IDOL( and geographical equivalent)!!!!!  Worldwide.  PLEASE !!!!!

Send your kids, or go yourself, to your local music store for lessons from real, established, proven, respected, hard-working local musicians. Internet sales are killing many music stores. In-store instruction is the only thing enabling many of these stores to stay open. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MUSICIANS AND LOCAL MUSIC STORES/SHOPPES......

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw:

While I agree with what you said, I think it's important to point out that American Idol is about the only thing inspiring kids to take up music these days.  The problem is that they are taking it up to become "Idols," rather than musicians.

I watch it sometimes.  My wife watches it, and so that means I do too.  At least until my sound-deadened office is ready and I can go make my own music as loud as I want even when the kids are in bed.  Every once in a while you get someone with a lot of talent.  I really liked the gray-haired guy that sang soul a few seasons ago.  I don't remember his name.  I guess I'm a bad fan. 

Anyway, you'll see better talent at pretty much any folk jamm or open mic night (especially the juried ones).  And at those, usually you can score a beer or two and almost always some nachos.   Plus, you can just clap.  You don't have to call a 900 fee charge phone number to show your appreciation. 

For the record, I'd never make it on American Idol, and not because of being fat and bald either.  I'm a terrible singer.  Just thought I'd get that out in the open so it didn't look like sour grapes. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

9 (edited by bensonp 2010-03-24 21:38:52)

I watch it sometimes as well.  I have liked Crystals style and voice from the beginning.  What I don't like is that most of the singers copy their styles and sound pretty much alike.  I don't really like the new singing style the way they sound like they are grunting the song out.  They have good voices, but that grunting noise is terrible.  Almost all of the new singers do it.  It drives me nuts.
h and every other word in the song has about 10 sylables.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

10 (edited by wlbaye 2010-03-24 22:20:38)

I've found it more enjoyable since they have allowed contestants to play an instrument.

I also support my local music store and our Open Mic and coffeshop and try to get to 3 to 4 Bluegrass Events a year.

I know what Southpaw is saying and I respect his views. A karaoke DJ can earn as much and more than a liveband and It's a blankety,blank shame . I have bought all but one of my guitars at  Music Stores and most of them are very competative on guitars and amps. I buy strings online,using several guitars on a regular basis I go through alot of strings. I just can't justify paying 3 times as much at the local shop.

Later, Wayne P

I cannot watch these  programmes anymore,

I get to scared for the contestants as the wait for the "Judges" comments..

I was at a party recently here in Dublin. I heard  fantastic singers, some even better  then some of these people on tv,
and not a one  of any age wishing to be famous. They  Sing and play for the love of entertainment. These shows i feel are about Money/ power/ and greed.
After watching "Susan Boyle" here on Xfactor was enough for me.. Americans apparently love her as i do.
But her vunerability pains me somehow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldw9xoHziuo

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I liked the show a few years ago... not so much now.  I enjoy watching the beginning... when the judges have to see 200 people in a day and pick a couple to move on.  It's good entertainment to see how horrible some people are that actually think they can sing.  On another note, it's also sad to see how good some people are and they get booted off before they've really had a chance all because they're nervous.  My husband says, "you're better than most of those people, you could do that!" ... I say... NOPE, I couldn't.  I've sang a few times in front of people live, my knees knock and my throat closes up smile  I do ok but not good "enough".  After the beginning I watch a couple more rounds of it... seeing some that made it through that I thought were horrible (wondering why they made it and some of the others didn't, although I know it's just because they had a good story that makes for good TV and not much to do with their singing)... then I pretty much quit watching... it's usually about the time that they start getting told they need to step it up YET they have no way to do that just standing in the middle of a stage by themselves having been stripped of their guitar and half of their self esteem.  It makes me think, "that's probably what it's like to be a famous singer with top 10 albums out... give up everything to do what the monsters at the top of the food chain think you should do to SELL albums"... no thanks.  Towards the end of the show's season sometimes I watch again just to see who's left that they've been able to turn into a really good singer via the $$ and mold that they were able to fit into.  This show reminds me why I'd rather sing in the bathroom than on stage!  smile Simon is a jerk... but I guess it makes for "good tv" since the show is still running... just not good for me.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Mkm

You better get over fear of singing in front of others, because the longer you play guitar your family will start thinking hey she's not too bad. They will first ask you to play a few songs at a barbeque and then it will be a wedding. Then your friends will want you to play at some weird gigs. It's gonna happen smile

One of my weirdest,

My mother inlaw is a Norwegian and has a friend that is also and they have an annual Lefse making party. They also make homeade wine. I was asked to play while they had dinner and later made lefse. Alot of wine was consumed by all and my music went over too good.

My sister inlaw didn't know I could play so well and got a little too huggy and ended up having to get carried home. Lefse making is very messy with all the flour used and all the hugging ,I still had flour in the all hard to get places on my guitar for years smile

Lefse is Yummy smile

And if your audience drinks enuff Homebrew, "You Can Be A Star"

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

A truer statement you won't find......

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

...Which brings me back to American Idol.  Give these kids enough of a false sense of superstardom before they have even played a live gig and they will NEVER be inspired to create a great piece of music.

16 (edited by wlbaye 2010-03-25 12:34:30)

Papa,

It's just cheap entertainment and all but a few have come and gone. If you aint got it you aint got it and most of them have been just average Karaoke singers.

Some are dedicated musicians, but most were singing in the shower and then decided to go try out smile

Later, Wayne P

I agree with you guys, but a guy like Adam Lambert is an exception. He's got an INCREDIBLE set of vocals, better that 98% percent of recording artists today. However, I that doesn't mean I like him tongue No glam rockers for me.
It's interesting, but relatively untalented.

ok I was just watching Crystal Bowersox on the top 11, and MILEY CYRUS was giving her advice! Miley can't sing half of what Crystal can. What a disney joke

Brian Cowell is good . . . . . if he likes you and you'll do anything to make him millions. The shows are just ways for him to make more millions doing the auditions he would have to do free otherwise. Time is money. Actually I find myself agreeing with him most of the time.

The UK version of this is something I have to watch or end up with no family life. The girls and herself always end up with a crush on one of the guys and it can be quite hilarious when they get put out. Last time I got caught on laughing as he walked off stage and was banished to the back room ( which is where I keep the fav. guitar).

BTW did you guys hear that there was a successfull internet campaign to keep the last winner off the top of the Xmas charts in the UK.

Lena, I think everyone in the South should apologise for foisting Jedward on us ; )

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

>>>Papa,

It's just cheap entertainment and all but a few have come and gone.<<<<

That's what I would think; however, even the worst of them seem to eventually pop up on my clock radio one morning with a "new hit."  Having been there, I understand that a record deal is far from a guaranteed career, but I also understand that it used to - and SHOULD - take a lot of work to get to even THAT point.

If American Idol weren't the ONLY thing going on in the music industry, I would agree that it's just cheap, harmless entertainment.  But, for nine years, this show has been setting the bar for aspiring young artists - and setting it very low, unfortunately.

I played a Mobile, Alabama night club in the 70's for two long years called Club Skylark that held a regular Wednesday night talent show. The only prize was $100 to win and that was big bucks in those days. My band had to back all contestants singing whatever song they wanted. If we failed to make them sound good, we got mucho grief.
It was a chore and most contestants were so bad they creeped us out. Once in a while we lucked up on somebody who was good.
To this day I can't listen to a talent show without cringing.
My wife and her sister love American Idol and phone each other after each contestant sings. That's a good time for me to retire to my office and go online.
I can't blame the Idol contestants for wanting to "make it" and Idol seems to be a fast track to fame and fortune. People who can play and sing well are so lucky and have big fun doing it.
I paid huge dues starting out. My hugely talented kids didn't want to make music after they saw what I went through playing rock and country hits for a living.
Idol contestants with big dreams and that burning desire for fame, I would rather avoid. I prefer to help young players who do it for fun.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I don't watch the show until it gets near the finals. I gotta say that this years group of finalists are not impressive at all other then Christal Bowersox. The girl can sing.
She has hinted that next week she will be without her guitar sad I hope it turns out for her cause if I was a betting man my money would be on her.

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Lena, I think everyone in the South should apologise for foisting Jedward on us ; )

Sweet suffering divine Strans ! The talent we have on  this wee Island, and we foist Gedward to the world ???.

lol

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

wlbaye wrote:

Mkm

You better get over fear of singing in front of others, because the longer you play guitar your family will start thinking hey she's not too bad. They will first ask you to play a few songs at a barbeque and then it will be a wedding. Then your friends will want you to play at some weird gigs. It's gonna happen smile

One of my weirdest,

My mother inlaw is a Norwegian and has a friend that is also and they have an annual Lefse making party. They also make homeade wine. I was asked to play while they had dinner and later made lefse. Alot of wine was consumed by all and my music went over too good.

My sister inlaw didn't know I could play so well and got a little too huggy and ended up having to get carried home. Lefse making is very messy with all the flour used and all the hugging ,I still had flour in the all hard to get places on my guitar for years smile

Lefse is Yummy smile

LOL!  Good story Wayne!  I did the voice lessons in high school... which came along with a LOT of short choir solos... solo singing competitions in front of judges... singing in a couple weddings (one of which I got paid a whopping $25 but that was a LOT for a 16 year old!)... pushes to do certain songs at Kareokie... and of it all I enjoyed singing "Opera" songs the best.  I see what happens when my dad gets his guitar out at the campfire and I am prepared for the onslaught this coming summer because I know he's going to tell me to bring mine with me or hand me his after about 3 songs!  smile  I think I'll handle the campfires alright (as long as I also have a few beers in me) but I'm not so sure about playing during a Lefse making party!  LOL!  Thanks for the heads up and the encouragement!

papatom wrote:

...Which brings me back to American Idol.  Give these kids enough of a false sense of superstardom before they have even played a live gig and they will NEVER be inspired to create a great piece of music.

That's just it!  They fast track these kids into the false sense of superstardom and tell them what to do so they can make money (not the kids that is)... and if they're lucky they get a great deal that DOES fit with their voice and singing style... but more likely than not they just get run over by a train when all is said and done.  They aren't inspired to create great music... they are inspired to do as they're told to win and pray for a record deal.  It's sad.  Gone are the days (yes, I'm too young to know the days I'm talking about but I've seen enough "good ole" movies about REAL stars to know) when you could walk into a producing studio and beg them to listen to your music and hope the liked YOUR music and actually become a star on your OWN merit and abilities!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I only watch the first few episoes of the UK and US versions to get a laugh at the crackpots who think they can sell ten million albums and take over the world. Then it is back to the real world of listening to amazing tunes and struggling to play them.

cheers

sinkybhoy

ps. cheers for the hello zurf