Topic: Non playing exercises

Are there any finger exercises that you do to help stretch your fingers and make them more flexible?  I am at a point where I recognize a chord and understand how to play it but my fingers have a very hard time reaching the strings.  Right now the C-Major is my nemesis.  I have a really difficult time getting my 1st finger on the 1st fret, 2nd string.  When my 3rd finger in on the 3rd fret 5th string and my 2nd finger in on the 2nd fret 4th string, my 1st finger can't reach back to the 1st fret, 2nd string.  Looking at my hands I think I have normal size hands and fingers.  I just don't think they are flexible enough.  Do guitar players do any special exercises to help make their fingers more flexible?

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Re: Non playing exercises

Well... this isn't a "non playing" exercise, but it's good for stretching your fingers while using the guitar.  And again, it's from the infamous justinguitar.com

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-135-FingerWorkout.php

That C hung me up for a bit too!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

MeK, Perfect.  I checked it out, book marked it and I will add that to my daily routine.  I swear if is wasn't for Chordie, I would be playing a harmonica.  I don't think I could learn to play guitar without all the help this forum has given to me.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Hey Tony, the more you practice the better the "muscle memory" will kick in. Believe me, the rest of us are no different than you.We are not magical-just determined. I've been playing a long time and yet there are certain chord fingerings that put a strain on my hand-only because I don't use them much. I need the practice also. Hang tough and you will win. Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

I have a really difficult time getting my 1st finger on the 1st fret, 2nd string.  When my 3rd finger in on the 3rd fret 5th string and my 2nd finger in on the 2nd fret 4th string, my 1st finger can't reach back to the 1st fret, 2nd string. 
============================
Link to exercise site removed by Moderator - this is not relevant to guitar playing.