Topic: Zoom Q3

Howdy,

I recently purchased a Zoom Q3 handy video recorder and just did some messin around with it.  The thing is as user friendly as it could possibly be and it records pretty well. I had the dishwasher going upstairs while I was recording and the humidifier was running in the next room and I thought I would give it a try.

You can hear in the video it adjusts the mic levels as the music changes volumes. I recorded with a flatpick with no amplification and a thumbpick with guitar and vocal amplified.  Also without a pick with no amp on guitar or vocals. I had the Q3 about 6 ft away on a camera tripod and made no adjustments throughout. The amp was around 1/3 volume so the mics really cut the volume back.

The little unit does a really nice job of recording audio, it has two small condensor mics. My room has ceramic tiles on the floor so it has kind of an echo. I recorded in my living room and I thought the sound was better. It is supposed to get pretty nice the next couple days so I will try and get a recording outside.

This little unit retails for $ 250. and I am very happy with it so far. The software that comes with it is not very good and I used another program to edit the start and finish. I am using Roxio Creator and I think you could do the same with Windows Media.

I have a friend that plays in a band and he has been using his to record and his band is loud and the mics haven't allowed any clipping during recording. I apoligize for my struggling vocals my sore throat and cold don't wanna go away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCbjS_9mGLg

Later, Wayne P

Re: Zoom Q3

Thanks Wlbaye, looks and sounds fine to me. Been looking at getting one of these - and now I think I might.

Epiphone DR500
Taylor 710Ce-Ltd
Epiphone SG400
Fender Squier CV50 Telecaster

Pretty cool Wayne... the video isn't bad with that unit either.

I've been looking around a little online for something that will work a "little" better than what I have here.  My options are pretty slim.  Either the mic that's on the computer, the still camera that takes video/sound clips, or my Droid that takes stills or video/sound.  I'm trying to keep it on the lower priced end without having to get a sound board and everything... but I'm not finding much I like.  If I had a few hundred to spend, I'm sure I'd choose a new guitar before a recording unit at this point.  BUT that's pretty nice for something to consider down the road!  Thanks for sharing your review with us!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Cool Wayne! Thanks for the review and preview. Seems to work really well! I'll have to keep my eyes open for one wink I need something other than a $20 webcam to record video's with smile -Chris

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I should have had the camera with the window behind it. I tried it at night with the lights on in my room and it turned out pretty good, better than my Canon camcorder anyway.

This isn't the answer for a interface device or a studio quality recorder, it is just a great little unit for making youtube videos or taking to jams or recording your practice. The sound quality is the same as the H2 recorder , I have been told. I'm gonna try a bunch more different things with it and see how it works.

Later, Wayne P

Hi Wayne,
Looks and sounds great. You say it's pretty user friendly? I just might look into this as another option cause the price is right and quality is very good.
Thanks for the review big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Kenny,

It is the easiest gadget I have ever purchased and I don't think anyone could have trouble getting it figured out. The software with it is also real simple and doesn't offer much. I checked and you cannot edit with Windows Media but you can with Quik time player. The software that is included just lets you edit the start and finish of the vids or trim them how you want them. I like the Roxio program I use as it allows you to mess with lighting and colors and insert any text.

There is a updated download I haven't done yet that is supposed to really improve the video's lighting and I will let you know how it works. I was hoping to do some outdoor vids but it's supposed to rain and snow the next few days.

I wish the Zoom H4N had a video camera in it, that would be a great little tool cause it is a 4 channel recorder with 2 built in condensor mics and 2 xlr mic inputs and can be used as a interface also. I guess it will record studio quality recordings. You can do your mixing and effects with it also.

Later, Wayne P

Howdy Wayne, Judging by the reviews and your input it's a pretty slick unit. Other then the low light issues for videotaping it's just what the doctor ordered. smile

The problem is there isn't a Samson dealer in London...What's the odds lol Ordering online is a big trust issue with me so I'll be hunting other ways of picking one up.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)