Topic: Good Beginner Songs

Im a complete beginner to playing the guitar (first picked up a guitar a week ago).

I want to know some good songs to start off with that dont rely heavy on difficult chords and fast rhythmic strumming.

Any help would be much appriciated.

Thank you

Re: Good Beginner Songs

some really easy ones that I like:  3am (matchbox 20), Good Riddance (Green Day), Wonderwall (Oasis), Your Beautiful (James Blunt), Margeritaville (Jimmy Buffet), Breakfast at Tiffanny's (Deep Blue Something), Woman Behind the Counter (Pearl Jam), Old Apartment (Barenaked Ladies), Our Last Night (Better than Ezra)

Hi Kendo86,

I found loads by just clicking Public Books above  {TOP OF PAGE}

The Guys on the site here are great ! Ask and you shall receive.

Enjoy Enjoy.

Slan

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks Dmickels1,

for reminding me of Margararitaville ?  Always loved line dancing to this one..

Another new one to practise With !

Slan

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I don't know if anybody will know this song lol, but I find it incredibly easy..When Your Heart Stops Beating by Plus 44. Also Little Death by Plus 44, Wake me up when September ends(Green Day), Time of your life (Green Day)

Sαrαh.

Kendo,

Welcome to the site!  As many others have mentioned, you'll find a good variety of resources here.  And, the public song books tab is a great place to start.  Depending on your taste and genre of music, songs from Jimmy Buffet, Green Day, and CCR (Creedence) are fairly easy to play. 

Good luck and practice often!

Kahuna

Anything from Johnny Rivers Totally Live at the Whisky A GO GO.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

thanks very much for your replies.

I will check the songs and the songbooks out.

Im looking for very very easy songs though so Im not sure I will be able to play some of the suggestions.

Well, maybe you can tell us what chords you know and like to play.  This way, we can make suggestions based on your knowledge and skills.

Kendo86 wrote:

thanks very much for your replies.

I will check the songs and the songbooks out.

Im looking for very very easy songs though so Im not sure I will be able to play some of the suggestions.

G, D, Eminor, Aminor, A, C

Are the ones Im comfortable with so far. I know some more but I cant remember them and arent as comfortable with them.

Im looking more for a song that has easy strumming (no upstrokes or changing rhythm)

Kendo,

With the chords you know, you can probably play over 500 songs with them alone.   Try to add the E chord to your arsenal, and you'll expand that number even further!

If you like Jimmy Buffet, there are several songs you can play with these chords. 

Good Luck!

Kendo86 wrote:

Are the ones Im comfortable with so far. I know some more but I cant remember them and arent as comfortable with them.

Im looking more for a song that has easy strumming (no upstrokes or changing rhythm)

Kahuna wrote:

Kendo,

With the chords you know, you can probably play over 500 songs with them alone.   Try to add the E chord to your arsenal, and you'll expand that number even further!

If you like Jimmy Buffet, there are several songs you can play with these chords. 

Good Luck!

Kendo86 wrote:

thanks for the encouragement but its the strumming that im finding difficult and working out the rhythm of the strumming from listening to the song. If it isnt constant slow strumming then I miss strings etc.

Any ideas of very very easy beginner songs?

13 (edited by igor_ivanovski85 2007-05-09 09:07:26)

Hi.

Try "Wonderful life" by Black.
Also, you can try "Hero", by Enrique Iglesias, if you don't find the singing too high (like I did smile )

And later on, when you start feeling that you CAN play, (the feeling still kills me everytime I learn how to play a new song... smile ), you can try "So Young" by Corrs, with a little more strumming. A beautiful song.

If you are an absolute beginner, the best advice I can give is
- learn the basic chords A  B  C  D  E  F  G
- Than practise this and start the minor versions: Am  Bm  Cm  Dm  Em  Fm  Gm
- PRACTISE again and start learning the 7th chords: A7  B7  C7  D7  E7  F7  G7.
Be glad at that moment, you just have about 21 different chords, and NOW you should be able to follow a lot easier. DO NOT PANIC, everyone who plays guitar here, went to the same process.
If people laugh, don't worry, ask them why, because if they give negative critics, try to translate them in positive critics.
After all these years, I am, despite they asked me a lot to play in a group, a quit good player, heard it from others, even from a pro, who has a studio in MISSISSAUGA, near TORONTO, writing songs for others, and writing music for publicity on television (he earns quit a lot by making music for publicity, he needs to eat, to give his kids a decent education, the kids are phenomenons, in singing harmony), he told me that, and at that time I was still working, I could easily play with the mainstream US bands, BUT I NEED A GOOD RYTHMSECTION, at this moment when I play alone (95%) and sometimes with a drummer, who is asked a lot to play a song in studios, drumming I mean, and he has always a very good influence on me, pointing me on my way of playing, more follow the rythm.
I hope I could help you somehow, and do not forget: PRACTISING is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, also having a musical ear, or put in your PC any song to play along. Start with tunes that are well known, like some songs of JOH?N DENVER

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I tihnk wioth all those chord you mentioned, for a beginner it might scare the a bit.

I only ever played A C D G  Am  Em for about a year when I first started playing.

All anyone really needs to play a guitar is E A and B ( or so I read) might have been  A E and B7.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

If you like folk. then 'Down in the valley' is one good one to start with, especially if you have a reasonable singing voice. 'The times they are a changin' by bob dillan. I can recommend 'the complete guitar player' book by russ shipton. This has loads of real easy songs in it, with chords on them. it's a must for beginners! smile

Insanity is just a natural adaption to an insane world.

thanks for your support and guidance

much appricated

Welcome to the wondrfull world of guitar. I have mentioned this before but I find leaning House Of The Rising Sun to be a great song to begin with. The chord changes are smooth and they force you to learn what many beginners feel to be a tough chord the F.  the chords are Am C D F Am C E then Am C D F Am E Am E. Listen to the song and you will figure out the changes.
I can also add , Start slowly....play at 1/4 speed at first to play clean chords

Practice regularly, I've been playing for over 25 years and still try to play at least 1 hour a day.

Don't rush, we all learn at different speeds. ANY gains are a step forward.

Always finish a practice session on a positive note!

Have Fun and ask any questions on the forum, people here are great ( especialy the canadians   wink  )

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Hi Kendo
Try Micheal Row The Boat Ashore
It's in C then F then C again then Em then F then C and  G7 and lastly back to C---- dead easy.
Give it a try-- good luck!

Welcome to Chordie a.k.a the best guitar site/community on the net,
A good country song by Lucinda Williams, also preformed by Tom Petty, called "Change the Locks." Two chords, G and D, one strum like

i change the [G](strum) locks on my front[D](strum)door

pretty simple, heres the whole song, but it just repeats those same chords
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … mp;id=5667

Good Luck, Rock on, and don't be afraid to ask us anything!
~kori

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥