Topic: Chicken and Buttermilk Biscuits

It's been a bit chilly and rainy here lately, although we're supposed to get warmer weather for this coming weekend.  My 2 year old is sick, and I'm tired and stressed not being able to get much work or housework done the past few days.  Anyhow... I'm calling it a Chicken and homemade buttermilk biscuits night.  If anyone wants to fly into SYR and rent a car to drive to my little hick town tonight, dinner will be ready around 5 or 6 eastern standard time.  That's in about three hours (so HURRY)... after that... I'm putting the hubby on kid duty and I'm going to find a place to chill with my guitar in peace (although if you do show up, I think it might just be dry enough for a little campfire... I know... middle of the week?  am I crazy?  ha ha ha... just a little!)  smile  Hope all my Chordie friends have a  GREAT evening!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Chicken and Buttermilk Biscuits

Ill get a flight from Wales, prob take years, keep me some chicken & buttermilk sounds good. lol

Mekidsmom,

Recipe please for homemade Buttermilk Bikkies please..
Sound  delish..

I hope you get time to chill out..

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

minimal chill time... but the hubby took the kids off to a show at the middle school so I am at least ALONE.  Stopped for a minute to throw some chocolate brownies in the oven and thought I'd check in quick.

Old Doll... Buttermilk Biscuits are an everyday Southern affair in the states... I imagine our crew from N. Carolina will agree there's nothing like a homemade buttermilk biscuit with... well... just about anything!  LOL!  I honestly found this recipe online and it's very good (better than in any of my cookbooks!)  Enjoy!  Oh... and sorry... measurements are in cups and spoons!

2 Cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter (cold from the fridge)
3/4 Cup buttermilk (keep it cold)

-Oven to 450 degrees F
-mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl **I like mine a TOUCH sweet... so I add about a tablespoon of sugar to the dry ingredients (I've never seen this in a buttermilk biscuit recipe so try at your own risk LOL!)**
-cut the butter into the flour mixture (using a pastry blender or food processor... till appears as course crumbs)
-add the buttermilk and mix GENTLY with a fork until JUST combined (just want to get everything wet)... it will be a sticky mess... perfect!
-turn dough out onto a very LIGHTLY floured mixing surface
-with floured hands very gently PAT the dough out to about 1/2" (inch) thick ... DO NOT USE A ROLLING PIN
-using a FLOURED round cutter (cookie cutter, or turned over coffee cup works well), cut into rounds and place onto an UNgreased cookie sheet (or silicone cooking sheet, or parchment lined cookie sheet... whatever you like they all work here!)  If you want the sides soft, place them just touching (these ones will rise higher)... if you like the sides crunchy place about 1 inch apart
-you can knead the scraps together to make a few more, but they aren't going to be a GREAT as the rest... ever so gently... never over work!
-Bake for about 10-15 minutes... you're looking for them to have risen and be a very light golden on top and bottom... if you over bake they get hard and the bottoms burn.  If you're not going to bake them right away, stick them in the fridge to keep the butter from getting soft.  You could also freeze these and take one or two out at a time and bake as needed.

The KEY... is do not handle the dough too much... not only will the butter melt from the heat of your hands, but the gluten will become activated in the flour and create tougher biscuits.  (I love watching the cooking shows)

Excuse my ignorance, I am but a mere man, but what is the difference between buttermilk and cow's milk?

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Here's the wiki on it!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttermilk

It's still cows milk... but traditionally it's the milk left after churning butter out of cream that's been sitting a bit and is slightly fermented.  It's a bit thicker and acidic (ads a sour taste but not as strong as sourdough bread).  None of it is "traditional" anymore... but has the similar flavor.  I don't keep it on hand, but what I do keep on hand is a powdered buttermilk that I add to water to create buttermilk for recipes.

Thanks Amy,

I am now an enlightened male wink.

Roger

Roger Guppy wrote:

Thanks Amy,

I am now an enlightened male wink.

Roger

Not yet! You have to try some!
I really don't like Butter Milk but I do like some things made with it.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I'm the same as deadstring.  Don't like buttermilk, but like them in biscuits and pancakes

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

10 (edited by mekidsmom 2010-04-01 14:34:10)

I agree with deadstring... you are not truly enlightened until you actually have tried some!  Follow the directions, they're really easy to make and the big trick is MINIMAL handling (which actually makes it easier to make than lots of other things).  If you use a food processor to cut the butter in, it should only take a few seconds (a couple pulses)... make sure not to overdo it and actually whip the butter... you want it to look all crumbly!  If you don't have a food processor OR a pastry blender you can use two knives... and in the good ole days Grandma used her fingertips ... but again... minimal working because you don't want to actually melt the butter, just mix it into the flour mixture!  smile

yeah... and I ONLY use buttermilk for baking... that stuff just tastes yucky on it's own!

OK but lets get some facts straight right from the start.

One. I do not have a food mixer so it will be a hand job.

Two. I do not know if I can get buttermilk here. Most of the milk sold is that revolting UHT stuff, although one or two places do sell the pasturised milk (and I know all the local shops that do smile). I will make a point of looking for buttermilk, liquid or powder form, when I go shopping this weekend.

Three. I am going to have to find out the Portuguese for baking soda and baking powder as these items I have never bought before.

Four. I better have a supply of Gaviscon (stong stomach medicine not available in Portugal) sent over from the UK before I try my hand at cooking these.

Roger

Stage whisper: I wonder if Amy might send me some if I ask her nicely?????  hmm

It might be easier just to go to the grocery store and buy some buttermilk biscuts or pancake mix all you have to do is add water or milk not as good as home made but not to bad smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks so much Amy!  for taking the time to type  all this out.

Friday i usually bake my brown grain bread. So, ive ordered buttermilk.. Ill be baking your biscuits also.
I used to drink buttermilk as a kid. Me mam would whip the hell out of it.  Smooth as a smoothie it was. Its definitly not the same taste now. but the local dairy does supply on request.

Thanks again Amy.

Roger Guppy wrote:

OK but lets get some facts straight right from the start.

One. I do not have a food mixer so it will be a hand job.

Two. I do not know if I can get buttermilk here. Most of the milk sold is that revolting UHT stuff, although one or two places do sell the pasturised milk (and I know all the local shops that do smile). I will make a point of looking for buttermilk, liquid or powder form, when I go shopping this weekend.

Three. I am going to have to find out the Portuguese for baking soda and baking powder as these items I have never bought before.

Four. I better have a supply of Gaviscon (stong stomach medicine not available in Portugal) sent over from the UK before I try my hand at cooking these.

Roger

Stage whisper: I wonder if Amy might send me some if I ask her nicely?????  hmm

Ok my friend... we cannot have you going for much longer without ever having buttermilk biscuits!  I did a quick google search for some translations and here's what I have for you (mind you, some of this may be "Spanish" not Portuguese... I looked it up, I really don't have a clue!)

Baking Powder = Fermento Artificial ??? directly it is:  fermento em pó ... another option:  polvo de hornear
Baking Soda = fermento royal ... or bicarbonato de sodio/soda/sosa

It's possible they might have some UHT buttermilk...  My family would have a hard time there, or in Alaska... with 5 in this house, we drink about a gallon a day!  The powdered buttermilk comes in a canister and you just mix it with water... so there's a good chance you have that there for purchase (maybe).  Same idea as powdered milk. 

Buy a Pastry Blender (they MUST have these)!  They are cheap (about $5 in the states) and look like this
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:9xdXyGNoF_HVRM:http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/images/PASTRY_BLENDER.jpg

You hold onto the handle part there and push down and rock... It just cuts the butter into little pieces as the flour mixes in with it (plus, you'll be able to make all sorts of goodies like tarts and pie crusts  ha ha!)

As for the Gaviscon... I can't help you there... LOL!  I'd like to believe these wouldn't bother you ... sad  but then I've been lucky to never have major stomach or heartburn issues (knocking on wood as I type this)

---- Send you some... hmmm... How fast is shipping from NY USA to Portugal?  I'm afraid they'd get moldy or something before they got there!  Is it legal to ship baked goods there?  Look into it and let me know!  I'll try it!!!!!  Or... I could just ship the ingredients you need!  I can throw in a package of Rolaids or Tums too!  LMAO!  ---

Russell has an excellent idea there... look around, there must be some bakeries????  (when I feel like cheating, Pillsbury makes a bake at home option... purchase in the dairy section usually... they come in a tube - but no, not the same as homemade)

Lena -- You are VERY welcome!  I hope they turn out wonderful for you!  I LOVE to bake... and my reminder to you is the "do not over work the dough" ... I enjoy baking breads a lot too and it's really difficult for me sometimes to leave this dough alone when I'm so used to kneading yeast breads!  smile

I guess that the gauntlet has been thrown therefore I am determined to bake some for myself, so this weekend I will seek out the ingredients. Amy you are right, fermento em pó is baking powder and if bicarbonate of soda is baking soda I already have some in my larder. I have seen a pastry blender in my local supermarket so the only difficulty might be the buttermilk.

Keep your fingers crossed for me please.

Roger

PS. Amy, I was not serious about you sending some out I am really a pretty good cook.

mmmm  those busciuts sound real good, I leave the baking to my lady, I wanted to be a short order cook, I was too tall. he he  ...

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Mom, me n you make bisquits in very different ways. Me, I pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Take a bowl and put 3 or 2 cups. plus or minus,  of self rising flour in it. Just a little bakin' soda, add some cookin' oil, add buttermilk and a little water (too much buttermilk makes them bisquits a little gummy) and stir until you get the dough good n mixed up - not too thick but not soupy either. Place 'bout a cup of flour on some wax paper and spoon a bisquit sized amount right in the middle of that flour. Take your hand and sprinkle some of that flour on top of that spoon sized bisquit, pick it up and roll it around & around kinda forming a ball. Place that in a cast iron skillet with some cookin' oil in it (maybe 1/8" or so thick). Take the back of your hand and sorta flatten out that bisquit so it ain't a ball any more. Then repeat until that skillet is full. Once it is full you spoon some of that cookin' oil you had in that skillet over the top of them bisquits, place in the oven for 'bout 30 minutes or until they are done. Take them outta the oven, bust'em open, add a wad of butter then cover with Ribbon Cane Syrup. Breakfast meat of choice, a couple of hen bullets, a good cup of coffee................................................!

I learned a long time ago that if (when) you got invited to someone's hunting or fishing camp. if you got up early, made breakfast with some of them home made bisquits you WOULD get invited back. Just as added insurance I do make a hell'ava coconut cake, as well.

Nela

GOOD LUCK ROGER!  I hope you can find the buttermilk!  I'm glad to hear you're a good cook... otherwise by this time next year I would have HAD to spend a lot of money on postage sending you some homemade goodies that I thought would make it!  Yes... I'm always sending home goodies with friends/family/ and over to the teachers at school!  LOL!  I really did mean it too... I'd have attempted to send them off if you really wanted me to!  smile

Badeye... I was a short order cook for a bit (breakfast foods only)... I think I was a bit too short!  hee hee!

NELA... your LA biscuits sound like downright greasy homecooking goodness at it's best!  They sound delish!  smile  I imagine they're rather similar in taste... selfrising flour in lieu of baking powder... oil in lieu of butter... and your flavor no doubt is coming from that very well seasoned Cast Iron skillet right?  Grandma was raised on a farm, she cooked everything in a cast iron skillet!

Me darlin Amy,

I took to the kitchen this morning..  To bake me usual grain brown bread.  as i normally do.  I had collected my buttermilk fresh.
Then  i tried your biscuits ! Well, i was expecting them to come out kinda flat like the biscuits we get here ? Was i heavy handed  i wonder ? . I  had decided to make a bigger quantity.. Why ? Coz im greedy lol. I have lots of callers here so i was thinking ill freeze some. But they came out  of the oven like  what we call "Scones here ! Now, they are and whats left of them delishious. That buttermilk sure makes a difference.
Family called, ate some, and some more.
Some even took my browns home with them [ as they do ]
My neighbour  then called, she said " Lena ! Holy mother of God what are ya cooking, the smells wafting on the breeze Cailín [ girl ] are making me hungry !  She also needs her eyes tested lol
She then pointed to the biggest biscuit/scone  left and said "Put the kettle on m having that one. Well we did Amy, sat and chatted
about your recipe. Pat was orgasmic with the taste lol. This lady makes wedding cakes, so knows a thing or 2 about baking.

Ive taken a photo of whats left, before anyone else calls lol. Now i wont freeze whats left , coz there far to nice with good butter and strawberry conserve, with a big ole mug of cha. Yumm Yumm.
The rest of my day consisted of some bad ole news i wasnt expecting .
Your biscuits were a great talking point and will be a pleasure to make now all the time. so much nicer then the shop stuff.

Thank you again for sharing.
Where would you get it ? A great recipe  for  great buttermilk biscuits on an even greater music forum !

http://picasaweb.google.com/lena.odonov … directlink

Ps. The bits that were left i made  A for Amy out of.. Look at the left side of the pics..

Chordie continues to amaze. Amy introducing good ol' southern buttermilk biscuits to all of Europe. The interweb is a great place. :-)

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

oh mercy, they look good!   

mmmmmm badeye   cool

one caper after another

After seeing those photos I am booking the next flight to Ireland and fasting before I go.

Roger

Lena... they look PERFECT!  I'm thrilled that you (and your friends and family) enjoyed them so much!  I love the "A"!  Ha ha!  Fantastic!  It is quite funny... getting a great southern buttermilk biscuit recipe from a "Yankee" on a guitar forum over in Ireland.  In the South they are for breakfast, lunch, and dinner... in the North no one has a good recipe.... and in Ireland I guess Lena is now going to make a name for them!  smile  You can add butter and preserves... or serve Sausage Gravy over them with over easy eggs ... or like I did with a creamy chicken and veggie concoction over them! 

That brown bread looks delicious too.  Is that a quick bread or a yeast bread my dear?  As for scones... yes, I guess these do have some similarities.  I've only tried my hand a few times at scone recipes and I prefer these biscuits... I've tried a few sweeter, dessert like recipes as well but haven't found any that I "love"...  perhaps you have a great traditional scone recipe to share with me?

I'm very sorry to hear that you had bad news as well... perhaps more baking is in order... there's nothing like homemade baked goods to soothe the soul (baking them as well as eating them).

Speaking of GREAT recipes... last night was my son's 14th birthday and I made "gourmet" quality little cakes from my chocolate lovers cookbook. 

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs427.ash1/23644_1423648669857_1191936679_31240506_2912048_n.jpg
Individual Molten Chocolate Cakes ... The description in my cookbook reads, "This luscious soft cake looks conventional on the plate, but when you cut into it, the center is runny, like the yolk of a soft boiled egg" ... WHEN I make these again, I think I'll drizzle a little chocolate or raspberry syrup on the bottom of the plate and just a touch over the ice cream.  smile

The Power of Chordie...Ya gotta love it big_smile

Happy Birthday to your son MKM and Happy Birthing Day to You big_smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Wow Amy, Every time I check this thread I get soooo hungry!! Those biscuits with sausage gravy
                    and a couple eggs, a little hash browns........ oh my! Thanks for the receipe, will see
                    if the GF will give it a go. The Pilsbury ones are ok, but I'll bet nothin like yours. Will
                    put a little sugar in also. Thanks,         Mike

Our intuitions serve us well