Topic: Open Mic and Redneck Karaokie in my hometown

My husband and I were out at the local bar Saturday night and were approached by a friend.  Actually, he was approached and invited to take part in an open mic that the guy was trying to start Sunday.  My husband insisted that the friend should talk to me and not him.  My husband plays around on his guitar, but hasn't actually played any songs all the way through and isn't yet capable of singing and playing at the same time... honestly, I'm not sure if he really WANTS to sing and play at the same time smile  It took a little convincing via "redneck karaokie"... but shortly thereafter I was officially invited to take part.  I guess, women aren't expected to be able to play guitar and sing ... or at least this "friend" didn't think we could.  It was quite comical how the whole thing evolved.  Somewhat annoying with the chauvinistic attitude, but amusing in the end!  "Redneck kaaokie" by the way... includes the Jukebox running while singers are holding mics plugged into an amp.  Amusing, cheap, and it actually works pretty well!  LOL! 

So, this "friend" is my father's brother-in-law (would be if dad was married)... so my father was also invited.  I called him up to make sure he was coming with his guitar because I had a feeling that I might be the only one showing up to this last minute open mic with a guitar.  GOOD thing he did because I was right!  WOW... my first time at an open mic and I was the only one with guitar in hand until my dad showed up.  YAY DAD for saving me!  Another guy did show toward the end of the evening... but he couldn't play a song all the way through, he was there for the jam.

So what followed once Dad showed up was pretty much a TON of fun campfire music in a bar with microphones!  Ha ha!  This was the first time I ever played in front of anyone other than my kids, husband, or the camera.  NERVOUS doesn't begin to describe how I was feeling!  I've never played with my dad either (my dad is my original inspiration for playing the guitar for those that don't know my story).  So, we picked a song for him to play and we sang together.  That went well.  Then he played one.  Then we picked one to play AND sing together.  Yeah... strumming with someone that's doing a TOTALLY different strumming pattern and fingers chords totally different ... not so good. 

So he did a lot of playing, we did a lot of singing... and then every here and there he'd take a rest and I'd do one of my songs solo.  Playing and singing at the SAME time in front of people wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I just kept my eyes on my guitar and the mic... it felt like I was at home and I think the Cranberry juice and Vodka helped A LOT (Zurf, I thought of you and my quote in your signature)!  There were lots of screw ups... but I just kept going.  I did "Crazy" by Knarls Barkley... my playing suffered pretty terribly but everyone seemed to like it anyhow!  There was a hullabuloo of conversation when I was finished with that one.  I also did "Black Is the Color" ... no one really knew that one so it was a good place to try it out.  I'm finger picking the entire song, and it went better than I thought it would!  I didn't screw that one up as much as the Gnarls Barkely... but no one knew better with this one anyhow.  When I did "Leaving on a Jet Plane" and screwed up for a second, I stopped VERY briefly to compose myself and I was WOWED to find that everyone was singing along!  I could not hear them over the amp!  It gave me hope... hope that next time I'll be a little more confident on my own without my Daddy holding my hand!  smile  Ha ha!  I did a couple other songs that I've worked on here and there... they were pretty raw, but then... it didn't seem to matter.  Everyone was having a good time and it was a little more like jamming at home with friends... not so much showing off.  Again, that Cranberry and Vodka came in handy... and the "friend" that invited me was buying!

The other guy that stopped in with his guitar jumped in here and there jamming along.  He seemed to particularly enjoy the songs I finger picked.  He was pretty cool.

All in all it was a really fun time.  It was really cool to be playing and singing and have someone come over and adjust the mic because they WANTED to be able to hear me better.  It was also really cool to see my Dad having such a good time.  I laughed every time he said to the audience, "This is an oldie you probably don't know... unless you were born before me"... as I said to myself, "or you were raised on it".  I could tell he was really proud of me, and he said, "We'll have to sit down and get our repertoire together for next time"  When I left the bar, I commented that I'd be in next Saturday with my friend for a girls night out... I was told to bring my guitar.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Open Mic and Redneck Karaokie in my hometown

Hey Mek, Good story! Right on for you and your family. I remember that same feeling  getting up  for

the first time. Sweating bullets I was and if not for the medicinal cocoction in my glass I'd not got

up. Still get nervous but in a good way I guess. I'm surprised that you and Dad have'nt played

together before? But now your learning experience will really take off I'm sure. Isn't this fun?

Okay...... may I make a small suggestion? Now that you've taken the plunge, although it's

uncomfortable at first try not to look at the mic and fingers quite so much. I'm sure you already

know this but you really don't have to have direct audience eye contact...just make it seem that

you do. Occasionally look at your gear and play from the heart! Looking forward for more of

the new duet stories.        Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Mike, I actually just started playing last September after a campfire where I saw my Dad was having issues with his hand cramping up (he's got back issues that are affecting his arms and legs) and didn't seem to be able to play so much.  THAT was what inspired me to start playing ... I grew up with Dad's guitar playing and was determined to keep the guitar involved in campfires even if it had to be me playing.  He hasn't really played much since then... except for a few times when he was visiting and I "accidentally" left my guitar and music sitting out.  I think me picking up the guitar encouraged him to push himself a little more and not give up!  I'm really excited to see what will come of this.  I haven't seen him have such a good time with his guitar and the crowd in a few years.  I've always been his singing partner, so this was a really cozy transition!  I never appreciated his guitar playing as much as I do now though.  Man can he change chords fast... and TRICKY ones too!  smile

SO much fun!  Yes, I know I need to look out at people... singing solos with piano and watching my Dad work the "crowd" has showed me a lot over the years, and I will... it was weird tho how I looked down at my guitar and was able to "remove myself" from the eyes looking at me and just play.  I'll be sure to take a peek up at those eyes next time tho... I promise!

I did bring my recorder along, but I didn't really set it up in a good spot so the recordings I got weren't that great (and I only have a couple songs on it).  I'm going to see if I can clean any of them up a little and maybe put em up to share.  We'll see.  LOL!

Yep, great story, mkm.  You are on your way to stradom.  It's nice when you have a forgiving audience like that.  Glad you got a chance to do it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Brilliant. You've got more courage than I have. Really pleased you got to do this, and sing with your Dad too. Brilliant.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Way to go Amy...pardon the expression but what you did takes "balls"!!!!

you should be very proud of yourself

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thrilled that it went well for you.  I've been on stages much of my life, but never in the center.  Man, the guts!  Well done. 

You've got a great voice, and so I'm real happy that you've decided to share it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Way to Go KidsMom!  I, just like you, have just recently started playing guitar and got up front and performed at my first "Open Mic" a couple of weeks ago.  This is a very professional setup with multiple mic's, a soundman and about fifty people in the audience.  They even videotape the performances some nights for posting on Utube.  I had actually went a few times before to watch, so I kind of knew the routine.  I was soooooo nervous, but seemed to settle down toward the end of the first song (they let you do three).  It was cool having someone come up and set up the mic for my accoustic and for me to sing.  Getting used to the mic and trying to hear my playing was a little uncomfortable at first as well.  Everybody was very supportive and I actually walked away from it feeling very good.  I even played for my second song an original that I had written.  If you mess up on those, nobody knows cause it is yours and they don't know it.   I plan on going again this week and hope you keep up with it.
From one newbie to another, I am proud of you!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Great Story MKM,

I'm so impressed that you had the nerve to do that,and to be able to share that moment with your Dad is incredible since he is the one who inspired you to start playing to begin with. I'm sure from the sound of it he enjoyed it as much as you did. Isn't it funny how things are never quite as bad as we percieve them to be in our minds, if we'll all just take that first plunge, we then look back and think "what the heck, that wasn't so bad after all" and now with each time you do it again, it'll be easier each time, it's all in the plateau's we reach and the hurdles we have to jump to become better. Again I know everyone is proud of you and take the time to be proud of yourself, you've earned it, "well done"

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

MKM, next stop for you is "America's Got Talent"  Way to go with overcoming your fear of playing in front of a crowd.  I'm lucky in that if I ever learn to play well I won't have a problem doing so in public.  I'm a natural born ham and the bigger the crowd the better.  The problems is I have NO talent.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

MKM, I am so proud of you. Your dad used to inspire you and now you are able to inspire him.
Way to go! That's how things are supposed to work.
Hope you guys can do this again soon and often.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

12 (edited by mekidsmom 2010-04-13 00:55:47)

THANKS GUYS!  My husband was surprised that I didn't jump on Chordie before I left to tell everyone I was doing this.  LOL!  I appreciate all the comments!  I am really proud of myself.  If someone had asked me to just show up for this, I would have told them no.  I think the fact that I had to "prove" myself the night before made this a MUST DO.  Yeah... the old "you can't do that" always gets me and I become immediately determined to prove them wrong.

Pete and Tony... I'm not sure about being a star ... I don't think I'll ever be that "great", but it sure was fun... having some people around to enjoy the music that I enjoy making is really very cool!

Geo... I would LOVE to put in my signature "I officially have balls" ... LMAO! smile Alas, somehow, someone will get offended by it.  I told my hubby about that.  He said, "Your famous now!" ... I said "no I'm not... I just have balls now."  I've been giggling about that all day!  Thank You! 

I'm hoping that the guy who's kind of organizing this takes some time to make some "rules" for the next time.  I guess there were some folks there that wanted to do a little more Redneck Karaokie and were a bit put out that my Dad and I were hogging the mics (there were some others that jumped up and sang along too).  I tried to tell him... but when he gets on a roll sometimes he doesn't hear anything except for the request someone in the corner shouted out!

Alvee & Zurf... You have GOT to try it!  I wish I'd have looked up a little sooner to see what was going on while I was playing on my own.  It was really awesome when I stopped for a second there and found that people were singing along!

BASS VIKING - WELCOME TO CHORDIE!  I haven't seen any of your other posts so here's my official welcome!  The open mic you went to sounds like some serious business going on there!  I was at the corner bar... it's like Cheers where everyone knows your name.  LOL!  We just had two microphones plugged into an amp (and one of the microphones was missing half of the top... so it was really loving all the p's and s's ha ha).  CUDOS to you for getting up in front of everyone, especially in that type of setting!  If you ever get YouTubed up there make sure you share the link with us!

Cam - I've sang into microphones with spotlights on me... I've sang in competitions... been judged with others... even sang at a couple weddings ... and of course lots of karaoke.  My knees always knock and I always get a tickle in my belly.  I thought for sure this would be the same.  NOT AT ALL!  I felt far more comfortable with my guitar in hand, playing and singing then I've ever felt standing there holding a mic.  I'm sure that having my Dad next to me and there supporting me made a big difference and I am eternally grateful for the gift of music that he has given me.  This has REALLY encouraged me to get better at my playing so that the next time I won't fumble so much with some songs that I don't really have down so great!  This is a really cool stepping stone!

TOOTS... YES!  That is exactly it!  I feel pretty blessed to be able to have inspired my Dad and he knows very well why I started.  He was SO supportive last night, and I could tell how much he appreciated just being able to talk "guitar" with me!