Topic: new strings

hi everyone.
i,m a newbie and i have been learning the guitar for six months at 73 years old i thought i was too old but i,m haveing a ball what i would like to know is my guitar is an ibanez dreadnought i would like to change the steel strings what is the best to buy.thick or thin.

regards.

john

Re: new strings

Thick strings last the longest, hold a tune longer and have a bassier sound but they are harder to fret and tear off your hard won callouses.
Ultra light strings are trebly sounding, hold a tune for the shortest time but are easy on your fingers.
I have a Yamaha dreadnought and I like medium light strings (between light and medium thickness).
They give me a bigger sound than the lights and hold a tune fairly well.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Hi John,

Welcome to the Chordie machine. Glad to hear that you are learning to play the crazy shaped box with strings.

I have an Ibanez dread also and on it I have Dean Markley light(2002a) strings on it. I have them on my a/e yamaha also. I use Markleys bcuz they are cheaper than most and suit my needs just fine. String choice is a very personal thing.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

thankyou so much for your answers they are very well recivied .

kindest regards.

john

Welcome!
67 year old amateur here but I have learned a lot from these folks. One thing I've learned is that there  are many choices when it comes to strings.The ones that cost 3 times as much will last at least 3 times as long.At least that is my experince. Al

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Try Elixir phosphor bronze ,light gauge.

thankyou all so very much for your help.

god bless you all

john

Welcome dalesman.  I am a 59 year old trying to get better since I neglected to stick with it through the years.  I find that strings are relative.  You will try many types and brands over the years and some will become your favorites.  There are some good ideas above.  Good luck on your new journey.  Stick with it and you will flourish.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Another vote for light, with the caveat that there's no wrong choice.  Strings are cheap (relatively speaking).  Play around with it to see what gives you a sound that suits you.

I usually use D'Addario for a brand and shuffle around between their silk 'n' steel, phospher bronze, and whatever else I feel like on any given trip into the shop.  I do not recommend the D'Addario EXP coated strings.  I've got some on now and don't care for the feel.  But maybe you would. 

Welcome to Chordie.  Good folks here.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

If you're just starting out, get light strings.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi, and welcome to Chordie.  I am also an AARP card carrying member at 63 years old.  I have only been learning to play the guitar since Jan of 2010.  The first thing I did was change my strings to light strings on the suggestions from these great people at Chordie.  It really helps you to fret with less pressure on your fingers when using light strings.  I have Elixir Polyweb Extra Light .010 / .047 on my guitar now.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.