Topic: I guess this is progress

Today I was practicing playing Amazing Grace.  My wife of 40 years told me that my playing sounded very good.  She continued to say that my singing sucks, but I am playing the song on the guitar much better.  I sort of think of that as progress....

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Re: I guess this is progress

Hey Tony,
Don't sweat the harsh critique from your better half. She has no reason to be a diplomat where you are concerned. If others criticize you harshly, you bet she will come down on them like a ton of bricks. Honest criticism from her is a way for you to improve fastest because she will be anxious to recognize your real progress.
My wife's honesty has often been my only real and consistent measure of progress in a lifetime as a musician.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Toots is right tony.  But you may want to practice yopur singing a little more.  smile

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

My wife lives by the "don't say anything if you can't say anything nice" rule as has therefore never commented on my playing or singing. The fact that your Mrs. said you playing sounds very good is a huge compliment!! Way to go Tony!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

My ex wife never saw or even bothered to see me play in public or ever said I sounded ok, my new partner has nothing but praise for me and loves to hear me play and sing and my confidence is through the roof and I actually think I'm not too bad from the responses I get when playing to folks...so encouragement is the key !!

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Each time I do a song at church my wife brags about me to me. I think she just wants to make sure she has a ride home.    wink

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Deadstring, I am still laughing....  I almost choked on my ice tea...  Thanks everyone for the kind words.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

I say... a compliment is a compliment!  Take it and run Tony!  As for the singing... well... you haven't taken anything that resembles singing lessons yet only guitar lessons.  So who cares?  You're practicing guitar not singing.  Once you get the guitar down better... then you can check out some online singing lesson places and work on that!  smile  Good for you on the compliment!  It's so nice, that moment when someone notices that you're getting it.  I remember that moment.  It was a great feeling.  Embrace it and don't even give the other comment another thought for now.  If she says something again... ask her if she'd like to sing for you while you play.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Afternoon,

I find I'm more the player than a singer with the Uke but for me its only a hobby so I'm not taking it at all seriously. Fortunately me and my girly both play and enjoy geeking off with the Ukes so thats really good.

big_smile [b]Its in the name![/b]

tonyespo, be grateful for even half a compliment. I cannot sing, and SWAMBO, consistently reminds me of the fact, PLUS, she does not like my guitar playing. When i put music to my songs, she flatly refuses to sing with me, with the result that i have to sing to be able to work chords out, so ---- ''brick and a hard place''. Last Saturday we were at a braai, ''bbq, in UK or USA speak'', and i took an acoustic along and a book of my songs, on the first chord i was told again ''don't sing'', ok, so how are the people going to follow a song that they have never heard before. ''It doesn't matter, just don't sing.'' The upshot of this was that i sang at the top of my lungs, hopelessly flat and out of tune and key, and nobody cared, everyone was dancing and having a fine old time. I even had one of the kids who writes his own rap songs jamming with me, he was rapping at a million words a minute, and then SWAMBO told me that i was playing too loud, so --- sometimes you just don't win. On the upside, i once overheard her telling a friend how nice something was that she had heard me composing, using and electric and a wah wah pedal. So, - if a compliment comes your way, hug it and frame it.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

I live by the "If you can't say anything nice, ask Jerome instead" rule.  smile

Really though, singing is just the same as playing.   As your playing improves, you'll gain confidence, and that will lead to better playing.    Singing is the same thing.  As you find confidence, you'll find your own voice, and it will sound fantastic.   If guys like Bob Dylan and Tom Petty can sing, so can you.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

12 (edited by mekidsmom 2010-04-17 12:19:43)

jerome.oneil wrote:

If guys like Bob Dylan and Tom Petty can sing, so can you.

EXCELLENT point Jerome!  Those guys "can" sing... so anyone can!  smile  ha ha ha ha!  Tony, maybe you need to try a little Tom Petty... how about Wild Flowers?  It's fast chord changes, but they are "easy" chords... and the singing... pahhh... It's just talking primarily!  Down Up Down (change) Down Up Down (change).  Do it real slow and make it your own friend!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Jerome, good one, thankx, I think that I will have to get SWAMBO  to read your reply.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.