Topic: What is for most of you most important in a song?

1) MELODY.
2) LYRICS.

I compare it with meeting a girl. You fall for her looks, and later....the conversations. So I start always with melodies.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: What is for most of you most important in a song?

Evidently for me it is melody. There are a lot of songs I really like and I couldn't tell you what they are saying.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

usually it's the melody first... although once in a while a song's lyrics will grow on me and then I'll fall in love with the melody... it all depends.  One REALLY important thing for me however, is the song being within my range.  If I can't sing along, I tend to not listen to a song so much sad

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Melody with me also.   I usually know I really like a song the first time I hear it.  That is the melody calling me.  Words do come later as I get to know the song.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Melody always strikes the chord with me first.

This usually makes me listen to the lyrics to get the full picture
From the first time i heard this song it made me cry, Still does to this day. I have no clue as to why it always affects me this way. Touches something deep inside somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjjfMmhOBrY

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Melody…Always the melody for me.
I can’t see how any song can be loved just for it’s words..
Well maybe punk but even that stuff has some sort of melody basically something to sing along to.
It’s human nature..
ark

I believe that with most musicians, the melody offers us the first appeal. I can remember chords to songs I played in my teens - but the lyrics are long gone.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

No question melody. As deadstring says there were lots of tunes that I couldn't understand what they were saying but it didn't matter much cause the melody got me first. big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Oh ok you meant music vs. words, see I was going to say INTRO because if a song turns me off within the first 3 seconds I'll probably never listen to it again.
But I'd have to say melody is more important, simply because its what makes it a song at all. You can have poetry with music or without it, but you can't have a song without music.
That said, meaningful thought provoking lyrics is a big deal for me, but I feel their goodness only makes them deserve a great melody to back them up even more.

lilwing wrote:

Oh ok you meant music vs. words, see I was going to say INTRO because if a song turns me off within the first 3 seconds I'll probably never listen to it again.
But I'd have to say melody is more important, simply because its what makes it a song at all. You can have poetry with music or without it, but you can't have a song without music.
That said, meaningful thought provoking lyrics is a big deal for me, but I feel their goodness only makes them deserve a great melody to back them up even more.

You can have poetry with music or without it, but you can't have a song without music.

Define music. Some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard were done acappella.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hard to say. 

I like singer-songwriter stuff because the lyrics attract me.  That said, the melody could readily repel me.  On the other hand, a good melody with idiotic or cliche-ridden lyrics can repel me too. 

Gun to head and forced to give a single answer, I'd say lyrics.  But that's a generalized answer that may or may not apply to any given song in particular. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

deadstring wrote:
lilwing wrote:

You can have poetry with music or without it, but you can't have a song without music.

Define music. Some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard were done acappella.

Regardless of what medium is used (guitar, singing, or whatever), its the series and coherency of the notes and sounds that make music recognizable. A singer still follows the melody or tune, singing the right notes in the right order to form the song. Acapella IS music, as much as a symphony performed by an orchestra.

I agree with Zurf. I think it depends on the song. Generally I would say that, like most,, the melody to a song will catch me. However when you look at songs like Blower's Daughter by Damian Rice there's not much melody in the opening section but the lyrics are very engaging and draw you in. That's one of my favourite songs ever and appears to be contrary to my general rule.

Good topic!!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

For me, no question it's melody.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

hi all lyrics come first with me although i'm thinking of the melody whilst i'm writing,the song content usually gives me the feel of a song the melody just enhances the songs story although i could listen to arks compositions all day cause his music tells the story,well thats just contradicted what i've just said,anyway its lyrics for me.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Melody, but lyrics make the song

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I would like to say Lyrics because it song has some meaning than it would be good to listening and feeling. I mostly prefer lyrics than melody. Somtime i like melody for particular song because it makes my mind fresh.

Melody,harmony,lyrics, rhythm and hook balanced with someone who can sing in tune and stay in tune .
Thats Just my opinion .... heh heh heh .... oh! by the way, backed up with good muso's wouldn't hurt either .... lololololol
What do you reckon ?

The way of the muso ....

RhythmNbalance

Words and music, words and music. Thats what Eddy Wilson always said. I believe he was right!

Some players go to great lengths to get the sound just right and the accompanying music to just the right pitch to make the vocal range fit perfectly.
This man tuned his guitar to an open F# to sing this song comfortably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IObp9S6DAKo\

toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Wow, what a nice thread!  A lot of good comments.  I have to say lyrics hook me on a lot of songs, but there's definitely others that I have no idea what the songs about.  Immigration Man by Led Zep, or Barracuda by Heart...pure music attraction.  But the lyrics in American Pie by Don McLean or Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez are awesome.

For me, it's the melody.
It has to be catchy, yet simple enough to play.
If it isn't, it won't stick in my head.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Every great song has a "HOOK" that just grabs hold of you and never lets go. These songs are based on something heard, said, lived, felt or experienced by the song writer. You know and feel whats being said when you hear those words and you just can't keep from repeating them. To me thats what most important.

Nela

Great topic! I know this may seem like I'm riding the fence here, but I find both equally important. You can have a great melody or great lyrics, but if they don't match up, the song stinks. Happy lyrics with a dark toned melody just doesn't work and vice versa. I've heard music without lyrics and have been moved emotionally, same with great peotry. Combine a great melody with great lyrics and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I think that's why we all love to play and/or write songs with lyrics. It's the ultimate form of expression.

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda