Topic: deep sound

hello friends.
73yr old learner here what i would like to know is my guitar is a strat copy stagg by name i think it was made in china.how would i get the deep sounds that i here on other strats would i need to change the pickups if so what make would i need to buy and at what hight would i need to set them also would i need to change the amp the one i have is a line6 spyder 15 watt hope you can help.

regards.

john

Re: deep sound

Dalesman,
I don't know what your guitar is made of but there are many versions of Strat pickups that would fit your bill.  Fender Texas specials.  Any of the Fender Noisless pickups (I can't stand that 60Hz hum) Lace sensors (gold, silver, blue or red), I am currently running Lace Alumitones in my 1988 Strat and I think they sound awesome.  There are many others. Keep up your research and I hope that when I'm your age I'm trying new things too.  It's great that your playing guitar. Keep the faith.
Matt

Now available in 5G !

tandm3.
thankyou so much for your reply i will certianly look out for the things you mention.
kindest regards.

john

MANY THANKS

JOHN.

COVENTRY (UK)

4 (edited by johncross21 2010-04-25 08:45:03)

I don't understand

strats have a fairly trebly sound  in comparison to say gibsons but most strats occupy a similar range.

changing the pickups might change the tone but is a fairly major modification

what is that you are trying to play

why does it not sound "right" to you ?

hello johncross21.
thankyou for your answer.
when i try to learn a tab such as wonderful land the base strings sound more treble than base.
when i here other guitars the base sounds a lot deeper do you think it might be my amp.

regards

dalesman

it could be your amp or the settings and the size of your speakers gauge of strings.where you pick them on the guitar any number of reasons or your bass pickup is faulty or all the above smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

russell.

many thanks i will have to look at all the things you mention.

thanks again.

john  uk

Use the pickup that is farthest forward toward the neck of your guitar to get max bass.
There tone knobs on your amp and guitar. Use those to get the sound you like best.
A 15 watt amp is not going to give you much of a fat sound so adjust it best you can and watch for a steal of a deal on something better.
Heavier strings offer a wider range of frequencies but starting off you don't want anything heavier than medium light gauge.
There is always room for improvement in the sound of your guitar and rig but the most important thing is you and people around you having big fun.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Dalesman

Hank Marvin used a tape delay

you may get almost the same effect with a digital delay pedal

he also used quite a lot of vibrato which is vibrating the strings a little as you play the note

but you are right those bass lines in wonderland sound very deep. 

ditto apache

my guitar don't sound like that either !

johncross21
tubatooter1940

thankyou all so very much it is realy nice to get someone else views

many many thanks

dalesman

What I would do is make the guitar work around your playing, not the other way around. when you star to change the way you play because the guitar you play on won't accommodate, you lose the essence of yourself and start to sound more and more generic.
shape your sound using the tone knob first. It should get rid of some of the brightness that i can infer doesn't really fit into your playing. Than, play with the settings on your amp to get yourself the best mix possible. If your amp has presets and not individual EQ knobs, I would suggest getting a new amp.
Finally, if all else fails, I would use effects pedals. I tend to stay away from chorus and delay because the extra wiring has a habit of taking away from your tone.
Hope I helped.
-dan

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr