Topic: HUMBUCKERS AND COILS

One item, I never find on the internet is: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE between a GIBSON SG with the same coils, but if you take a Gibson Menace, they speak about SMOKY COILS, with the same structure as grandfather SG, 490 495, or beat me, 490 498 standard coils, but 2x more expensive than the SG's with smoky coils? Is the difference, (and also, the price ) dependant of the way the coil is winded?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: HUMBUCKERS AND COILS

Yep Phil pickups are a mystery and you can't look inside to see how they are made without unwinding them, which is a bad thing to do :-)

One thing I know is that they make alot of difference to sound. Cheap or damaged pickups can sound dull, fuzzy, buzzy, needley.

Having said that I'm suspcious of maker's gradations. Often Gibson or Fender fit a particular pickup because that's what's associated with a particular model. If you twisted my arm I'd be happier buying a modern SSH combo that sings than a 'original' pickups that have a 'historic' sound.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'