Topic: Question re: 12 String

Last month I bought a Martin D12X1 acoustic.  It sounds great and I really like it.

Since I bought it I've heard some people say that you should keep a 12 string tuned down 1 to 2 semitones in order to reduce tension stress on the neck (to slow down the inevitable warping), and then use a capo on fret 1 or 2 to play in normal tuning.

But I've also heard other people say that it doesn't make enough difference (i.e., reduce the stress enough) to be worth it.  Also, the dealer I bought it from told me a lot of things about how to care for it, but didn't mention the lower tuning tip.

So, I'd like to hear from any long(er) term 12 string owners.  Which camp are you in, and why?

Thanks,
'nomikal

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Question re: 12 String

I'm not a 12 string owner, but I am a 12 string shopper and researcher.  My opinion is that if you bought a guitar that is supported and designed well, warpage should be minimalistic if at all.  Martin doesn't make junk.  If they built a guitar as a 12 string, it was designed to withstand 12 string tension.  Use it the way it was designed and rock on.  That's my advice. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

+ 1 with Zurf. It's a 12 string. It should be able to be used in regular tuning. I've had an Alvarez fro about 2 years now...it's always tuned and ready to do. No problems yet.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

When I was a lad and I got my first 12 string there were only two types of guitar string available. Wire wound for acoustic guitar and tape wound for electric. Different gauges were unheard of and my 12er had to be tuned to D and not E. However with the lighter gauge strings readily availabe 12er's are now normally tuned to E. Possible those who have told you remember the good old days when tuning down was an essential.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Theoretically they should hold up fine in standard but from what I've seen of older 12 strings they usually don't... Warpage of the neck is not that common but bellying of the lower bout below the bridge is almost always an issue. The exception being solid laminate models... (Laminate is more stable/stronger and holds up better under tension but sound usually suffers) My opinion (for what it's worth) is a solid topped 12 under standard tuning will need a neck reset in 5-10 years (probably closer to 5-7 for most & I've seen some need them after 2-3)  where a 12 tuned down half a step (or just stored tuned down when not played) will last much much longer. For me a 12 is too bright and twangy so I preferred the more mellow/full sound of them tuned down half a step anyway so I always kept mine that way.... So is it necessary? No... Will your 12 last longer? Yes ... There is no harm in tuning down half a step, so if it saves you some time/money on a neck set and improves playability why not do it...

As a general rule of thumb, cheaper 12 strings tend to hold up better because they are over built. A good sounding new 12 string has been voiced and the top is braced just enough for it to keep shape so that it responds optimally to the vibration caused by the strings and these tend to belly before their cheaper counterparts...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks for all of the good information.  I appreciate it.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I just bought a Simon Patrick 12 string - used - that I returned after I had time to inspect everything properly. I discovered thet the lower bout had issues as well as some bracing being broken. Way too many problems for me. I am in the process of "high stringing" another of my acoustics and will give a report as soon as I complete the task.

nela

I had a 70's Yamaha dreadnought 12 string that played O.K. I had very few tunes in my rep that called for a 12 string. The nut broke at the top of the neck where I could only mount one of the two little E strings.
My buddy who was a boat builder had busted up hands that required him to get an easy fretting guitar. I strung up that old 12 as a six string with nylon strings and gave it to him for his birthday.
It sounded nice like that and he was able to fret it.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I agree 12 string should be able to withstand the "strain" but have another question though since I'm still at the crawling stage in playing guitar I find it extremely difficult to get the barre chords on my 12 string, so my question do you guys think that extra light guage strings would do the trick.

thanx in advance and oh yes by the way its great to be back its been a while

Our greatest glory is not in never failing but in rising again when we fall..

leeshay wrote:

do you guys think that extra light guage strings would do the trick.

I recall reading in another post where someone had recommended lighter gauge strings to aid in barre chords on a 12 string.  Sounds like it should help.

However, this could also be another reason to tune the 12 string down a semitone or two (to make barring easier), at least until you build a bit more clamping strength with your fret hand.

11 (edited by tandm3 2010-05-07 00:27:06)

Guitarpix is absolutely correct.  My 72 Guild 12-string has exactly the problem he describes.  I was not the first owner.  Whoever that was had decided that the best way to compensate for the bellying, was to sand the bridge shorter and shorter. In the end they sold it or traded it at a used instrument store.  I found it. Paid cheap for it.  I humidified it and strung it with light gage strings in open G tuning (DGDGBD) and it plays pretty good. Not great. It still sounds awesome which is why I hang on to it.  Just something to be aware of if you are in the 12 string acoustic market.  On the other hand, if your rolling around in some extra money, Rainsong makes a bullet proof 12 string acoustic and Ovation makes a 12 string that is almost as durable.

Now available in 5G !