Topic: Good Strings!!!!!!!

I have sweaty hands that cause my guitar strings to get that black rusty stuff on them fairly quickly. I always wipe my strings down after a good session or even If I'm just tinkering around!! Can anyone recommend me a good set of strings that would last me a little bit longer!!!!!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Re: Good Strings!!!!!!!

Ernie Ball Coated Titanium lasts a long time and the coating resists sweat and grime. Then there are the Elixers which do the same thing but don't sound quite as good to me.

Try Elixirs.

henryb wrote:

Try Elixirs.

second that

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I second the Elixirs and the Ernie Ball Coated Titaniums ... I've used both

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Love the Elixer strings.  I find they last a very long time because of the coating on them. 

Try sending them an e-mail stating that you are in the market for a new brand of string to use but find the price of Elixers to be a bit higher than say GHS Boomers.

I sent Elixer an e-mail like above and I recieved a new set of strings in the mail.

Give it a shot, all that can happen is they say no.

Thanks

Steve

I Use DR .009 Guage on all my electrics and havn't had any problems
-dan

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

Buy in bulk and change them often.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I tried the elixirs for my electric, but only the top 3 wound strings are protected. The bottom 3 strings still rust or blacken pretty quick. The top 3 coated strings do last along time without blackening.
I also tried the Ernie ball titanium coated strings for Acoustic, and let me tell you they last a long time. My strings usually start to blacken at 1 to 2 months so I have to change them , but with the ernie ball titanium coated it's been 5 months and they are good shape. After 5 months I still don't have to change my strings they still sound good. there is some chiping off of the coating but only on the high E string wich recieves alot of extra attack from my hard pick, and some chips where the string hits the frets. Other than that I think I'm good for another month at least. They are a little pricey but 15 to 17 bucks is worth about 6 months of not having to buy new strings.

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Optima gold plated are the way to go.  Sound great and do not rust, ever.  I too get sweaty palms, and to top that bring my guitar to work, which is a ship, so that nice salty environment is fairly grim on regular strings.

They also do Chrome plated.  Which have a brighter sound, but I prefer the golds.

I don't know where you can get them from in the states and canada, but over here I get mine from http://www.astrings.co.uk/

M

Something often overlooked is to wash your hands before playing. Get all the grime, oils, sweat, and natural acids off your hands. Just give yourself a little time because the water will soften up your hands. Use hot water too so the oils will be washed from your hands. I don't do it all the time, but I try to.