Topic: New Guitar Day!

So, the hubby gave me a wad of cash and sent me off Guitar Shopping yesterday for Mother's Day.  I have diamonds, but only one guitar so of course I chose new guitar!  LOL!  I went to the store that carries a bunch of used guitars and was sadly disappointed.  Then I went to another that carries mostly new.  Amazing... I tried guitars in the $100-$400 range and ended up choosing a cheaper priced one because I liked the action and sound of it the best.  I can't believe some of the guitars and brands I passed over.  I tried it last, set it aside and went back through all the more expensive guitars again just to make sure.  Of course when I got home I had to read reviews online and sure enough others agree that this guitar just has an amazing sound comparable to the higher priced models.  It appears there's a few lemons out there, but I made sure to take the one off the wall and not chance some lemon in a box.  It's not a solid top, but it's the right guitar for me at the moment.  I figure, by the time something goes wrong with this, for the price paid, I'll be in good graces with the hubster to look for a new one again!  Maybe next time I'll be able to touch a few hanging on the wall in the "expensive room" big_smile

So... I now am the proud owner of an Epiphone PR-150 ... yes, the purty one with the vintage sunburst coloring. 

It has a nice deep bass and the trebles aren't too tinny... yet it's crisp like a steel string should be.  I will probably try out some Martin lights on it.

Here's a pic from Musician's Friend
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/9/0/2/419902.jpg

I was highly considering an acoustic electric, but the sound of it unplugged didn't come close to the sound of this.  I don't really need one, I play mostly just around the house and such, if I ever need to be plugged in I can just mic it or add a pickup later on (our anniversary is in September so I guess a pickup would be a good choice then!  LOL).

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: New Guitar Day!

Congrats!!!!!!! You will have it forever. Nice choice.....Happy New Guitar Day!!!!!!!

Start toughening up those fingers tips with a steel string. Best time to practice is after a shower or washing dishes...pain!!!!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Happy NGD!! Sounds like you choose well by trusting your ears and the feel smile Some great guitars can be found in any price range and it seems like you've found one! Happy picking smile -Chris

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

And a good looking guitar it is.  If it sounds as good as you say, you got a great deal.  Good luck.  I know you will have fun with it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

nice, thats a great mother's day gift.   got it named yet??   lol

badeye   cool

one caper after another

epiphone is the way to go! i know i love mine.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Thanks guys!  Geo... yes, these poor little fingers need to get toughened up a bit more.  Those nylon strings have treated me well over these months of playing!  Badeye - I am thinking that it's time to name them both now.  It used to just be "my guitar" ... now it's "my classical" or "my dread" and somehow that just doesn't seem right anymore.  I'm sure something will come to me soon!

Geo & Selso - do you have this model?  I know I looked through the forums and remember hearing a few had this or suggested it, as a good low priced guitar.

I still can't get over the excellent names and $350 guitars I passed up for this one.  I feel like it's "too good to be true".  Same thing happened when I bought my classical (well, I passed up a few that were $50-$75 more).  So far however, I LOVE IT!

The best guitar in the world is the one we are comfortable with and sounds good to us.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Happy NGD Amy! I'm looking forward to hearing the first recording. Always a good idea to choose by ear and feel instead of price and name. Congrats!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well I reckon you got the best Mother's Day present you could wish for. I hope ' the hubster' got serenaded and a big kiss and cuddle.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I am very happy 4u! It looks nice!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Mines a ES something or another. It's a great guitar about 450.00 to 500.00

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

WOW!! And that's just for Mother's day.
So let's see how this pans out for you. Anniversary is a new pickup, for your birthday an amp, maybe a new car for Christmas!?!?!??!?

I wish you many years of happy strumming on your new Epi.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger - I am working on a song that he wants me to sing.  He's always wanted me to do Jewel songs at karaokie (I say he's secretly in lust with her LOL), so he asked me to learn a song or two of hers.  No serenade yet, but it's getting close.  Absolutely he got a few kisses and cuddles!  smile Being a full sized dread (not 3/4 like my classical), he can't wait to get his hands on the guitar too!

zguitar - Yep, it took a bit but I've finally got him trained in the gifting department!  LOL!  Actually, in the past few years I think he's realizing how much I actually do as a mom without pay.  Putting my dreams of career aside for the kids and for him to follow his.  He also has always known that music is something that drives me and seeing me finally making time to really enjoy it, he wants to encourage me.  That all sounds really CORNY, but it's the truth.

I will admit, I wasn't always this spoiled... for the first 5 years or so, I'd just get a card and dirty dishes.

I do need a new car.... mine has 150K on it... hmmm.... big_smile big_smile

I'm sure your new guitar will serve you well.  You know my story about my CheapO guitar.  Once I got the action adjusted and the strings changed, this baby makes some sweet sounds ( at least when it's played by an experienced player ).  I went with Elixir polyweb extra light 010 - 047 strings and they really sound great.  Your hubby isn't the only guy out there who has a thing for Jewel....  Play on...

I'm glad my wife doesn't read this forum.  She was happy with her $50 gift card and breakfast in bed.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Welcome to the Epi club, I love both mine to bits!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Congrats! I love hearing new guitar stories. Epiphone makes a great guitar(you wont be sorry). I own a few guitars, high end to my low priced Ibanez,  and between you and I, I believe the Ibanez is just as much fun to play, I love pulling it out.

Thanks guys! 

Tony, I plan to lower the action just a touch and change the strings.  I'm either thinking something like the Elixer's or Martin lights.  I've read online that others with this guitar did just that and happily compare it to their more expensive Martins.  As for Jewel - I will admit she is a beautiful woman!  Take a minute sometime to look up how the song "You were meant for me" was written.  It's a very funny story.  That's the one I'm working on btw. 

Thanks Crevs and jcellini!  My husband finally got his hands on my guitar the other night.  He really loved the sound of it too and had a hard time putting it down.  For ONCE I wasn't upset, because I had my Ibanez on standby!  It's nice to have two guitars!  smile

Amy,

Maybe look at having your husband build you a bone saddle and also try some Tusq bridge pins. It will really wake your guitar up and you will like it even more. Seems when the sustain is increased it makes a fuller sound and you would think it would clutter the effect but it will make your notes ring clear and make you sound more better smile

I played a guitar the other day that was very similar to yours a AJ-100 and was really surprised at how well it played and sounded.

I think the Martin SP lights 12-54  would be really good on this guitar. Most of the shops sell them way too high, 15-18 is too much when you can buy them for 5-6 bucks on line, with free shipping. Hope I don't get beat up too much about buying online, but paying 3 times as much doesn't cut it when you play alot and have a few guitars.

Later, Wayne P

Dear Ms. Amy,
I am proud to see you recieve a new Epi and the regard and respect from your family that you also recieve and deserve on this forum.
You are a special lady and I am glad to see you happy.
I had an Epiphone 12 string that held a tune better than any guitar I ever saw.
Darn nice of you to let hubster play with your new toy.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

know how you feel about your guitar pleased for you. I get mine in a few days. I live in Turkey been here 4 years now, came from the UK. lot harder to get a good guitar here. Im lucky got a very good friend in the guitar trade, that comes to Turkey. Picking him up on Monday from the airport , with my guitar probably stop on the way back from the airport on the side of the road to try it.

Life is but a journey that I don't want to end, that now my day's with D and my guitar I spend.

Wayne, I am seriously looking into the bone saddle.  I'm in no rush, but absolutely looking.  I wonder what it would do for my classical too?  Be design, they don't have a ton of sustain... but would it make my classical not sound so mellow?  I think most of my finger picking will be done on that still (at least until I get much more used to those steel strings).  So I wonder.  Thank you for the hint about online shopping and pricing of strings!  I'll be sure to keep that in mind when looking at the dollar signs!  smile

Toots... every time you give me a personal message on the forums, I just want to reach out and give you a big ole hug!  You're so sweet and kind.  Thank you!

Rogerjamtill ... I don't blame you a bit for stopping along the roadside to try out your new guitar!  I hope yours is a happy new guitar day on Monday!