Topic: Stagg

Are there people who own a guitar of the brand STAGG.

I have seen a few STAGG guitars, they are really perfect duplicates of expensive guitarbrands , I recently saw 2 models: stratocaster blonde, and also a telecaster same color. I didn' have the occasion to play on them, that's the reason why I ask this question here, fellow chordians.

Is STAGG a good brand?, worth more than the price?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Stagg

Messed around with a friend's Stagg bass at the weekend (don't play bass but we were trying each other's instruments out). Impression was the build was good but the electrics were getting fritzy. The pickups popped a bit and the jack socket crackled. Not sure how much of this was hard-use or less than rugged parts.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I have a stagg electric violin that works pretty good. It's not the best electric violin out there, but it's really good for what we paid for it. wink I did drop it once though, and one of the pegs broke as well as a wire under the pick up. I didn't drop it that far, so I guess my impression was it broke really easy. Anyway, I like it.

I'm a musician; I can [color=blue]Handel[/color] it!

Well, in a kind of miraculous way, a friend of mine asked me one of my guitars, straight from my collection. I should start a bussiness, "hire a topbrand guitar here." I gave him, because he wanted to, and after listening and playing, use my Gibson Les Paul Custom, very nice and brilliant sight, but a CHINESE copy, I once prurchased on eBay, knowing that it wasn't the real thing. But he loves this guitar so much that he want to buy it. An occasion, difficult to get an offer for a "fakie", and I will just have my money back, I am too honest to ask a lot, knowing that this guitarplayer wants the GIBBIE" so bad. He gave me, to see the difference, a STAGG telecaster, I have a 1952 reissue, in ugly surf green. There is a quit big difference, but you have to see that my tele is already a custom shop tele. In a "crystalclear" channel, using mostly my marshall acoustic 100W, you hear the difference quit good. BUT starting with devices, my favourite is KORG PANDORA, with 15 amps, and also about 50 different sounds (it is also a very small device), and you start playing with distortion, flanger, name it.. the difference between those 2 guitars is more difficult to see, or should I say hear. If I didn't own so much "vintage" guitars, to play and to collect: THIS STAGG would be probably my first choice, cheap, very nice and smooth neck, and very easy to play, it is even better, talking about the neck, because the tele I have, is more difficult to play. Tonight he'll bring me a stagg stratocaster. I REPEAT, THE MORE YOU USE DISTORTION & OR EFFECTS, THE LESS YOU HEAR THE DIFFERENCE. I should try to compare once a squier tele or strat.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Ain't electric guitars a conundrum Phil? With my acoustic I could  change strings or maybe pegs but otherwise the sound it gives is down to my playing. With electrics I could purchase the instrument I want or I can take a cheap instrument and fiddle with all sortsa effects and modellers until I get the sound I want.

I think what it comes down to is ease of adding and subtracting. If I have a big fat tone Gretsch then it'll need alot of EQ tweaking to get a telecaster thin-ness. Much easier on a guitar with a coil tap to cut output. Likewise if you have a thin and nasty guitar you'll spend alot of effort fattening it up. It can be done but it's fiddle and if you wanted to be knob-twiddling all day a synthesiser is the thing to buy!

So I guess it comes down to how varied a repetoire you have. If you want country one song and surf the next then you'll need a guitar with the full range. If on the other hand you are dedicated to one musical style ('playing strictly rhythmn') then get an instrument that matches exactly that.

I find virtual amps great for this kind of switching between styles but find alot of the presets fixated on screaming blues and metal solo sounds. I predict that we'll see Pods focused on particular musics eventually; Jazz pod, Country pod etc.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

The best way to test a guitar is to plug it in and compare guitarbrands that way. Don't forget, I have got the staggs to try, they sound pretty good. They were electric, and you really DON'T HEAR A DIFFERENCE USING EFFECTS AND DISTORTION, but acoustics???? My best acoustic is a GIBSON SJ-200 MONTANA GOLD, have a MARTIN HD-28 and a D-45V, the HD-28 plays twice as loud as the D-45