Topic: Lights and Extra Lights

The place I bought my guitar from will restring it for free. The only cost is the price of the strings. The other day I dropped it off and asked them to put Martin Lights on it. When I picked it up I discovered it had Extra Lights put on(he gave me my old strings back in the Extra Lights package).

Comparing the Light and Extra Light packaging here is the difference on each set:

Lights
E- 1st .012
B- 2nd .016
G- 3rd .025
D- 4th .032
A- 5th .042
E- 6th .054

Extra Lights
E- 1st .010
B- 2nd .014
G- 3rd .023
D- 4th .030
A- 5th .039
E- 6th .047

What do these sizes actually mean? Does it matter? Should I just shut up and play? smile

Re: Lights and Extra Lights

the sizes mean how thick the string is a .010 is thicker then a .09 its called string gage based on the american decimal system smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell is absolutely correct.  String gages are measured in Standard American Engineering Standards (SAE for short).  I don't know why.  Its just the way it is.  Most string sets are referred to as 10's, 11's, 12's etc. This is the size of the first string (high E) in the set, in thousandths of an inch; properly written .010", .011", .012" etc.   The rest of the strings follow based on a ratio of the first or smallest diameter string.  Custom sizes that are not held to normal standards are usually refered to on the packaging. Smaller sizes are, of course, easier to play. Larger gages are more difficult to play but sound better due to the tonal advantages of thicker strings (none of this means a horse's patoot if you're a metalhead cause you're playing .008's no matter what).  If you decide to play .010 gage strings on your new Martin, you may not be happy with the sound.  Acoustic guitars need thicker gages to drive their tops and produce the proper frequencies that they were designed for.  You'll have to find a happy medium between what you are comfortable playing and what sound and tonal range you find acceptable. It's a balancing act for sure.  Eventually, you'll find what works for you. Lately, I buy my strings by the dozen, so it's important to find a string set that works for you as well as a string brand or brands that fits your economic situation.

Now available in 5G !

Others have handled the numbers fine.  From my perspective, Light and Extra Light and Medium Light and all such are generalizations.  For specific instruction, you need to give the number.  The shop where I usually buy strings will ask you what size, and if you say Light or Extra Light or what-have-you, they'll then ask you what number. 

Some manufacturers consider .10s to be extra light, some consider them to be light.  I'm not sure about Martin.

My recommendation is that you play the guitar and see whether you like how it sounds and feels.  It's the price of strings, which is hardly anything.  The experiment in sound and tone is probably worth the money.  In a month take the guitar back in and ask for 11s or 12s. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

nevets17, how did it play with the extra lights?
Do you like them better or are you getting buzz sounds?
My buddy always uses medium strings in his Taylor to get a big bassier sound and he put them on an "Applause" (Chinese Ovation copy) guitar he won. He gave me the Applause for a boat guitar and it was a chore to play. I replaced the mediums with light gauge strings and the guitar came alive, sounded better ,fretted more easily and still holds a tune fine.
I would suggest, sir, that you pay a dollar for a crank to turn the tuners fast and learn to change your own strings. All you need to know is to get at least three turns on each tuner post and try to play the new strings in rather than stretching them really hard to get them to hold a tune.
If you don't own a tuner go to Free Web-Based Guitar Tuner Guituner .com.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?