Topic: Old Doll

Oh my God, someone is worrying about being 30 and playing the guitar ? there is no hope for me !!I always wanted to play guitar, but being the eldest girl of a very big family, it went on the back burner. I got a present of a beautiful guitar 2 xmas ago and love sitting trying to play it. so relaxing. I have learned the easy chords.  g,c,d,a,e and can strum Nancy Griffits {Tecumpsa Valley } + California blue , yipee at 57 i think im great, any good tips for this old fogie ?  im willing to work and have the time to practise.  Thank you for shareing all your great knowledge.  would love to learn how to pick chords ?

not sure ifs thats the right term !!

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: Old Doll

cool post!

with your guitar in standard tuning make a G chord.

now start at the top and pick down 4 strings,then go to bottom string and pick up 4 strings.

now on your fretting hand move your top 2 fingers down a string each,this is a C chord,now start at the 5th string [2nd from top] and pick 4 down then go to bottom string and pick 4 up.you have now learned a picking pattern and should work with most major chords.for free on-line lessons check out this site 

www.justinguitar.com        good luck and have fun.

Thank you so much Satman, for taking the time to reply to me .

I will spend the rest of the evening practiseing same !

When im signing my 1st Millon Euro deal ? your invited !! hahahahaha.

You give some great advice, i have been reading it all.

will keep you posted .  have to go i have a whole lot of practise to do !

Slan

Old Doll.

I think you will do well to learn to make barre chords. Then you will be able to play almost any song you can think of in any key.Good luck!!!

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Hello all you romantics ?

Has Anyone any easy chords for  { Three Times A Lady } ?

Would appreciate same .

Thank you

Old Doll !

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText"><b>lena.odonovan&#64;gmail.com wrote on Fri, 06 April 2007 00&#58;17</b></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
Hello all you romantics ?

Has Anyone any easy chords for  { Three Times A Lady } ?

Would appreciate same .

Thank you

Old Doll !
</td></tr></table>

Sorry Don't have them but with a name like O'Donovan you may enjoy this one.

<a href="http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/m/misc-irish/12349.html" target="_blank"> http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … om/m/misc- irish/12349.html</a>

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Hi Doll:

Try this:

You're [A]once [Amaj7]twice [A7]three [A7sus4]times a [D]Lady

[Dm]And I [A]love [E]you [E7]

(Repeat)

I love [A]you

Best I could come up with on short notice and I can't remember the tune for the verse, but maybe it'll give you something to go on.

Tunedeaf

Well done, your not only an expert on music ? { Names as well } A good West Cork Name, but its only borrowed !

Ah that was so nice to send me Irish Eyes Chords ! you may be pleased to know

I did not have them ! Thanks also for the link... I will be browseing same !!

What would you suggest for 3 easy chord tunes {irish } as a party piece ?

Thanks,

Old Doll.

Thank you for taking the time to do the chords for, Three Times A Lady.

I will get some time this W/E to try them !! and keep you informed !

{ You Clever Person }

Always reminds me of another time,so long ago its nearly left the planet ?? hahahahahahahahahahaha.

I absolutely love chordie and  I think your all magic !

Happy Easter to All.

Old Doll.

Hi and Thank You for the barre chord tip.

What would you suggest is the quickest and easiest way to do that??.

Thanks

Old Doll !

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText"><b>lena.odonovan&#64;gmail.com wrote on Sat, 07 April 2007 17&#58;41</b></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
Well done, your not only an expert on music ? { Names as well } A good West Cork Name, but its only borrowed !

Ah that was so nice to send me Irish Eyes Chords ! you may be pleased to know

I did not have them ! Thanks also for the link... I will be browseing same !!

What would you suggest for 3 easy chord tunes {irish } as a party piece ?

Thanks,

Old Doll.
</td></tr></table>

Glad I could be of help try browseing some of these.

<a href="http://www.chordie.com/song.php/songartist/Misc.+Irish/index.html" target="_blank"> http://www.chordie.com/song.php/songart … rish/index .html</a>

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Almost any summer music camp would be a great place to take what you have learned and build on it.  I'm a true believer in the Puget Sound Guitar Workshop;
http://www.psgw.org

I took an "Intro to Swing" course 15 years ago, and it has driven whatever folkie I had in me into hiding, but the jazz chords are cool, movable, and in many cases easier to grab than the 1st position folk chords.  Just to bring credibility into the purchase of the new Martin though I have been taking flatpick classes in right hand rhythm and bluegrass backup.

I'm 56 this month.

Go for it!!!

G'day,

Try having a shot at "House of the Rising Sun" (strumming and/or picking). The chords are really easy Am, C, D, F, Am, C and E. Then play the same pattern BUT skip the second C i.e. jump straight from the Am to the E. It looks like F will be the only chord you might have a problem with (practice, m'dear smile). Don't be scared of the Am - it's the same as the E just drop down one string. Actually, now I think about it just pick down the strings of the Am chord (starting on the 5th string) and you'll figure it out really quickly by yourself. Hum the song and you should notice the natural progression of the chords. Just take it easy.

Good luck

Alec

Thanks for that AlecinOz
A friend used to play that song on a twelve string Guitar. It always sounded  great !
I will down load same and use your advice.

Once again Cheers
Slan,
Old Doll.

Hi AlecinOz

I really dont have a problem with E or Am. Its the frustrating transition of getting to the bm or Fm7, from the simple

chords.    { Which i have to admit where not so simple when i started }

I was never a quitter,  Tried  Playing  "House Of the Rising Sun " as you suggested,  get to the F and

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ,  " I  want  to drink a whole bottle of White  Rum  without the Mixer ".

I will just have to keep trying !!.

Slan and Cheers, without the Rum !

Old Doll.

Hi Rhythslave,

How could you !!  Sending me the link for " PUGET SOUND GUITAR  WORKSHOP "?.

I Googled every site i could ! was only short of packing my Guitar and heading to the airport!

They look like  fantastic places  ! I do have a Nephew in Boston, and dear friends in Ohio, so they may

have a visit next summer !! Via one of these camps  ?  Not to much around this part of the world >it seems one has

to be only 18 years !  Well i was 19 in the "summer of 69"  {Great Song that }but i guess that doesnt count !

Thanks for giving me  the travel bug again !

Slan

Old Doll.

Lena try this one.
Micheal row the boat ashore, it is quite easy. Key of C

Micheal (C) row the boat ashore alle(F)luli (C)ia
Micheal (Em) row the boat ash(F)ore
Alle(C)lul (G7)ia

Then just repeat with different words on each verse.
Good luck doll.

Thanks Billy Mac,

I will try that one. Don't remember ever trying to play that song !

Slan

Old Doll.