Topic: Baby Blues.

I was awakened this morning at 6/30 by a some harsh sounding rogues.

My goodness the racket was something else. "Magpies and there young.. Theres so many of them around
i normally enjoy watching them and there cheeky behaviour.  I can only imagine there own chicks were being threatened by some cats !
i have some blue tits nesting in my garden.
There babies are due to fly in the next few days. I've been listening to the babies cheep when the parents  are approaching with food. Its so  brilliant to hear and watch the parents work so hard for there babies.

Now my concern is ! Mr and Mrs Magpie have killer instincts.  While magpies  are beautiful to look at, they will kill these blue tit chicks.  Oh, i know leave nature alone, but i would like to give these wee babies a chance to fly.
Any bird lovers on here with advice ?
These are just a few photos taken last week of the bird box.. There old wooden wine boxes, recycled into bird boxes. They have worked better then any fancy bird boxes i've purchased over the years.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lena.odonov … directlink

blue tits feeding, I love the way they all spring up with the beaks open as if about to sing lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHhkQ5rRr6Y

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: Baby Blues.

Hi Lena, I loved the video,,,momma sure ain't gonna sneak up on these little guys lol. I am a biology student(one semester remaining) but I must be honest, I have not studied birds and their behaviors much. I'm more of an invertebrate person, anyway you hit the nail on the head by "leaving nature alone" but I'm the same way as you at times. You might try a "scare tactic" and see if that works. Here in middle Tennessee there are a lot of woodpeckers around and they are sometimes run off by something as simple as a balloon or windchimes hanging in the tree their pecking on,,,anything to make some movement or noise around the tree. I've even heard of folks setting up a watering sprinkler with a timer so the sprinkle will come on for a few minutes several times a day. I think these magpies, like the woodpeckers, are very territorial so something like this might work to keep them away until the tits are big enough to take flight. Good luck.

Scott

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

I wonder fatstrings, would that scare away the Mama Blue?  That would be aweful to hear if she abandoned her young because of trying to keep the magpies away.  Good luck Old Doll... let us know if you figure it out!  big_smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Great little video, Old Doll.  I have some trees in my yard which house some starving little birds like that.  I hear them every time mama comes around.  I have to laugh each time.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Whoohoo !

Distraction i never thought of. I do have chimes and stuff hanging about.. But i was also making the mistake
of feeding the magpies what they like in my back garden.. Sooooooo as there roosting to the front of my house
i took there feeder down in the back garden.. I then went to the front of the house. Spread  there food of jumbo raisins/ dried dog food and macademia nuts all about the trees.  BINGO ! i havent seen a magpie this evening out back.. I also have some Collared Doves who are feeding happily now with some peace also.

Thanks very much for the enlightement.
Your pure magic.

How very interesting Scott. As we say here "What do you hope to be when you grow up sir ? Meaning when you finish your education.

Old Doll.

Dog food for magpies.  Only Old Doll would think of it.  More power to you for coming up with a clever solution. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

7 (edited by fatstrings 2010-06-01 20:53:48)

Lena, my interest are the invertebrates,,mostly the insects and spiders. Each state here in the U.S. has there own wildlife organization and that's where I'd like to work doing ecological research, species populations, species diversity, etc... I am also minoring in secondary education so I can teach high school biology. Sorta feel like my options are somewhat limited since I am ~20 years older than the average college senior but I try to be optimistic smile.

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

8 (edited by NELA 2010-06-01 22:43:54)

I'm sorry. I know this may sound wrong but I just can't get over a sentence Lena typed in her opening post. It struck a mental image and I can't get it outta my mind. And I quote,

"I have some blue tits nesting in my garden".

Dad-gum, am I beginning to be a dirty old man?

Nela

Nela !

Yes you are, ya bold man.. lol
While I'm here i must say "the blues have flown already.. Ahhh.
I missed watching them this morning while having my breakfast.. Distracting the magpies obviously gave them the opportunity to
call there babies to fly.. I've been reading about some butterfly boxes for the garden.. I have a buddleia bush growing in the garden, { Stop now Nella, clatter clatter } Better known as a butterfly bush here.. That might be an interesting project.

Thanks  again for your help with the blues.

Old Doll.

10 (edited by tubatooter1940 2010-06-05 09:42:53)

My wife, "Grammy" set out four bird feeders along our fence. She fills them with black sunflower seeds. We have red cardinals, blue jays, morning doves and of course the inevitable mocking birds aplenty. Problem is we have squirrels aplenty as well and they sit down in the feeders and eat until they're empty.
Grammy is a country girl and a dead shot. She always has a Daisy BB rifle loaded and ready by her favorite chair in our garage (rumpus room).
If a squirrel lingers too long at the feeder she puts one round into the wooden fence close by it's ear.
If that doesn't scare it off she can easily pop him in the booty. At that range a BB hit in the stern is not painful enough to keep them from coming right back.
It gives Grammy something to do besides mess with me.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Old Doll wrote:

"the blues have flown already.. Ahhh.

This line reminded me of Prosperity Blues by Keb Mo.  It's a blues song about everything going his way and so he can't have the blues any more. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

12 (edited by bensonp 2010-06-05 14:15:24)

Nela, you're not far off base.  I went looking for seeds to plant in my garden, but noooooo.  They don't exist. So, I planted some willows instead.
Zurf, I love Keb Mo.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Great story Old Doll. I can relate! So in essence you created a diversion. Hopefully it is
        still working. Have the same problem as you do Toots with squirrels. They raid the
        bird feeders that my GF has out. They've even chewed through the plastic window
        on one of them. They manage to get on the hanging one and swing it about
        until food falls out on the ground. We've got two large English walnut trees here and
        they still go out of their way. BB gun? Hmmmm. Be my luck to miss and hit a passer
        by as we live next to a street.lol We are short one squirrel tho as of recent. Seems
        our power went off and well... you guessed it. Not a pretty sight.        Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Zurf,  I loved that guy Keb" Mo, Thanks for that !

Its atrocious weather here today.. I had all sorts  of plans to be outdoors, { Big groans }
I'm indulging myself here with Natalie Merchant music. She gives me goose bumps to listen to..

Papaguitar, there's still not a sign of magpies out back.. Ive taken the bird box down to have a look at the nest inside.
Its wonderful.. Feathers, dog hair, loads of moss [ stolen from my baskets no doubt :lo: So comfy looking and about 6 inches in depth. I'm hoping the wee babies are surviving now that the weathers changed.  I found a baby sparrow with its head gone
today. not a pretty sight, im thinking Cats perhaps ?.

Squirrels ! Yankee Flipper is the answer .. Toots ! A BB gun, Mother of god i'd never use one. Do you realize how funny that image is you painted of Grammy.. Laughed me head off i did at the thought. Toots show Grammy this video, she would have more fun watching this in your garden sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7TEjD6Lhd8

Now some may find this funny but i don't.. The poor wee animal was hurtled through the air. Maybe toots dont show grammy this one sir.:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

Ok, Back to my wonderful" Natalie Merchant.  and the song "Mother land"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2JbLUVt0Z0

Enjoy, have a dry day wherever you are.
From the Emerald isle.
Old Doll.

Ah, the yankee flipper and the squirrel launcher had me laughing.  What great inventions.  I like to get a launcher like that for some of my relatives who visit too often and lay around in the recliner.  Hmmmm... Recliner....Launcher.  I'll get back to you on this.

Hhahahahahahahahahah, Bensonp.

I have a Parker Knoll recliner.. My sons fight over it still as to who gets to sit in it.

Visitors should know its not for them ! Hhahahaahhaha. Send me the blueprint for recliner launcher when your finished designing
same.  big_smile