Topic: How to cut a new nut

First off, Ill admit my ignorance in this matter.  Ive deepened the string slots,, but never went from a blank to a finished nut.
I have a Fender beater ,, and I would like to change the nut to be spaced the same as my Washburn .  The nut widths are the same ,,, just on the fender the slots were cut closer together.
So w/ out buying fret files ,  do you think I could cut one , using little needle files and such?  Also at the bottom of the string slot should it be   U shaped  V shaped or does it matter?

any info would be appreciated.
Steve

Re: How to cut a new nut

Hey Steve, You should be fine... You can use the nut from the washburn as a template to mark your slots on the blank and from there it's pretty easy (as long as your blank has been pre shaped). Just make sure to take it slow and keep them straight. Any off angle will cause the string to bind and/or cause buzzing at the nut and string breaks. Get the slots started and then go ahead and put it on the guitar before you set the depths so that they will match the radius of the fretboard. The bottom of the slot should be U shaped and buffed to remove any burrs. Nut files would make this much easier... Where are you located??? I only ask cause if it's in the lower 48 I could send you a spare set of nut files for use as long as you can send them back smile Either way remember to check the release angle of the slots as well. The string should leave the nut at the very end for proper intonation and prevention of buzzing.... If you decide you want to use the files, I have a vid up on youtube showing how to measure & set the depths, cut the slots at the proper angle and buff them.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thank you ,, that is a very kind offer. Im in Houston . I better go and watch your video and see how hard it looks. Im not the handiest person around LOL   I have never heard, release angle before.  I have always just took my guitar to the shop and had them work on it.  But i thought I might give it a try this time .

Thank You
Steve

steve j wrote:

Thank you ,, that is a very kind offer. Im in Houston . I better go and watch your video and see how hard it looks. Im not the handiest person around LOL   I have never heard, release angle before.  I have always just took my guitar to the shop and had them work on it.  But i thought I might give it a try this time .

Thank You
Steve

No problem, Just drop me an email with your mailing address and I'll see if I can find the vid and send you the link... I've got like 7 youtube accounts so I'll have to do a little searching for it.... It's nothing fancy, just a quick vid I made for Tony (another Chordian that used them to set up his guitar) I applaud your willingness to tackle this!  I'm sure you can handle it... It's good to know how to do some of your own maintenance smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Oh the release point is where the string loses contact with the nut... If the slot is slanted forward or not cut with a touch of back angle the string can leave the nut before the end and that will cause it to buzz at the nut and throw of your intonation since it minutely changes the scale length of that string...

Steve, I'm the Tony that Pix referred to.  I live in the same state as Pix and I did borrow his files and his knowledge to do a full set up on my CheapO $100 guitar.  When I was finished I had a guitar that plays easier, sounds better, holds it's tune and I enjoy it.  I have since added a bone saddle to this same guitar and I did that myself.  The bone saddle adds a different ring or tone that's hard to explain but to me sounds really good.  I'm a new player, but I let a man at the "Guitar Center Store" play my guitar and it was amazing to hear the music he made with my guitar.

I wish you the best in working on yours.

Tony

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

I'm a cigar-box guitar builder, and a tool we've found to be very useful for nut slots is a torch-tip tool.   Available at most any hardware store for a few bucks, it has a whole bunch of little round files in graduated sizes for cleaning out welding torches.
They just happen to cover the range of string sizes quite handily as well.

Lots cheaper than a set of dedicated files.