Topic: Converting Capo'ed songs...

Hi all,

i've been loving playing "6th avenue heartache" lately but I am getting tired of capoing all the time just to play it.  Does anyone know how to re-key the song for standard tuning (No capo)?

I initially thought that if you play with the capo then the songs just 2 frets higher in tuning meaning that a capoed "E" is a standard "D" but It didn't work out that way when I went to play it....

thanks,
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Re: Converting Capo'ed songs...

Det if the open position is E ... it gooes 1=F; 2=F# (Gb); 3=G; 4 = G#(Ab)  etc. D would go D, 1=Eb,2=E etc.

If you're playing the E shape with the capo on the 2nd fret, you were actually playing an F#

I don't know much theory DM... but I just figured this capo stuff out today!  LOL! 
There's a chart here I made up today (along with a link to a more in depth one I found on another site):  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14925

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I play with a bunch of old time musicans. If you take away their capo they could not play. They mostly play 3 chord songs with maby a minor chord or 7 chord trown in. Just by knowing a few progressions, having a capo available and they are set. Take the chord progression of G...C...D - typical open chords, right? Ok, capo 2nd fret and play G...C...C - chord voicing is A...D...E. Hmm, capo on 3rd fret and play G...C...D - chord voiceing is Bb...Eb...F. Moving up to the 5th fret with the capo and play G...C...D - chord voiceing is C...F...G.

Pick a chord progression - say C...F...G. Capo on 2nd fret and play C...F...G - chord voiceing is D...G...A. Go to the 5th fret and place the capo - play C...F...G - the chord voiceing is F...Bb...C.

Thats the beauty the capo. If you know just a few open chord progressions, understand where the capo needs to be to achieve the key you need there are 1000's of songs that have now become easy.

I have a very good - easy to read and understand - capo conversion chart that I will gladly send to someone in an e-mail if they will help post it to this forum. Just let me know

Nela

NELA wrote:

I have a very good - easy to read and understand - capo conversion chart that I will gladly send to someone in an e-mail if they will help post it to this forum. Just let me know

Nela

I'll be happy to post it for everyone - send it to me NELA.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

OK - Here's NELA's chart

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4661835456_3c29e51a40_b.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

7 (edited by zguitar 2010-06-01 23:48:17)

As far as I know you are correct Detman. If you're capoed 2nd to get E, then open would be D.
I don't know anything about what key a song is in but according to this chart you are right.

Have a look here:

http://logue.net/xp/capochart.htm

Same as the chart above.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Top that saves some brain power

That's a nice chart there NELA!  More in depth than mine!  So, on that other thread I also learned that when you capo say an A7 or Am shape lets say on the 2nd fret you're going to get a B7 or Bm ... so just follow that down with the conversion to figure out your minors and 7ths as well!  An E shape capo on the 5th fret is an A... so an E7 shape will be an A7 and an Em shape will be an Am ... sweet huh? 

Detman... think you can figure this out now for your song?  Did this all answer your questions?  smile

mekidsmom wrote:

If you're playing the E shape with the capo on the 2nd fret, you were actually playing an F#

I don't know much theory DM... but I just figured this capo stuff out today!  LOL! 
There's a chart here I made up today (along with a link to a more in depth one I found on another site):  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14925

Awesome-o!!!

Thank you ma'am!
That's just what I needed...now to transpose that song!

woohoo!!

=]
dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

to do this learn the notes on your 6th"e" string
e - f - f#/gb -  g-  g#/ab-  a-  a#/bb-  b-  c - c#/db-  d - d#/eb-  e
playing sharps and flats tell you what direction you are going
just to give you a sample  i fall to pieces the chorus is played
"C"  "F" "f#"  "G" "Gb" "F"
f# and gb are the same but the movement has changed
good luck

always pickin someting

Detman101 wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

Awesome-o!!!

Thank you ma'am!
That's just what I needed...now to transpose that song!

woohoo!!

=]
dm

Whoo Hoo!  Glad to be able to help, and of course NELA's chart is really nice!  It's in my binder with my music now!  You had the right idea DM, was just a little backwards.  So awesome that you'll be able to figure this out now!  I'm really thrilled that I'm finally getting this portion of it.  As I start to understand what happens with the capo - suddenly barre chords all make sense to me too.  Now, that doesn't mean I can barre anything, but they make sense now!  big_smile

Detman101 wrote:

Hi all,

i've been loving playing "6th avenue heartache" lately but I am getting tired of capoing all the time just to play it.  Does anyone know how to re-key the song for standard tuning (No capo)?

I initially thought that if you play with the capo then the songs just 2 frets higher in tuning meaning that a capoed "E" is a standard "D" but It didn't work out that way when I went to play it....

thanks,
Dm

Hi Dm,
The way I play this tune is relatively simple, ( E B F#m A ) all the way through. Just mellow way down at the start of the last verse and gradually build up the intensity to the end of the song. Great tune !!
Some folks however ( I'm sure you're not one of them ) have problems with B and F#m. Should this be an issue, place capo on 2nd fret and play D A Em G. The chart that Jeff posted should be a sticky somewhere, great tool !

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Good Point Toney... I'll work on some of the great resources that have been posted here and there and see if I can put something together for a sticky!

The capo chart is excellent.  Thanks for sharing it.

I'm curious though, is there a reason why the chords across the top are in the order they are, as opposed to C - D - E - F  . . .  or C - C#/Db - D - D#/Eb . . .

Not a nit-pick, just wondering if I'm missing something important.

Thanks.

PS:  MKM - I was going to post this question in the "Capo Conversion Chart" sticky in this section (as you suggested in the second post of that thread), but the topic is closed.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Nom, in my opinion a 'Sticky' is to impart valuable information and not to be a discussion document so I always 'close' them or give warning that added posts will be removed.

When Amy wrote the post I guess she did not realise this and it is not my place to edit her message, hence the confusion, but I hope this clears it up.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Whoops... I'll delete that post asking for any suggestions.  THANK YOU Roger for making it a sticky!  smile

Nom - The order they are in is the same order that circle of fifths are in - It's all about keeping the music theory in mind I suppose.

Nope - it's locked, I can't delete that post now.  Roger if you want to delete that second post I made to avoid confusion down the road that'd be great!  Thanks!  Sorry to confuse you Nom!

mekidsmom wrote:

The order they are in is the same order that circle of fifths are in.

Ah, of course.  If I had thought for five more seconds I could have avoided an unecessary post.  Thanks.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Amy I have removed the messaqge as you requested.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Butch8844 wrote:

Det if the open position is E ... it gooes 1=F; 2=F# (Gb); 3=G; 4 = G#(Ab)  etc. D would go D, 1=Eb,2=E etc.

Your suggestion seemed okay to me.
I appreciate your chord knowledge.

spam is not allowed in the forum *removed by mod - MKM

joetraff, Welcome to Chordie. To answer you question just go back to the top and look at the capo conversion chart. Find whatever chord you want and read DOWN. Thats will be the steps (1/2 steps) for each note (or chord).

Nela

Thanks for the post

I like barring my chords if I need to transpose, because of the pattern.   Using the Nashville system really simplifies the process.

I tell beginners that if they would just learn one chord progression or even two, that the capo will open up the rest of the chords for them.   But after learning the bar chord method.  I find it's faster than changing the capo.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Hello all,
            Not hijacking here, but it is good to see some new folks taking active interest in a very informative thread.
To all the regulars, great stuff, I have learned something new today on this topic. Amy, you're a champ.
Love this site and all who make it what it is.
All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"