Topic: Proud of my little girl

I think it was Toots that asked recently when I was going to get another video up.  I hope to get to something soon, as I have been working on a few songs in my spare time.  BUT... more recently I've been so busy helping out my little one.  She takes dance classes, dances non stop around the house, and amazes everyone she meets everywhere she goes that there is a grass field or even a smooth sidewalk.  She's only 5, and she's kind of little for five... but she does the most amazingly perfect cartwheels, backbends, walkovers and just has that stage presence and spunk.  I know I'm a little biased by being her mom, but she's "something special"!

The dance school she goes to is excellent at making the 2 year olds feel special, and they're also well known for their amazing competition team in all forms of dance.  My daughter was asked to join the competition team at her elementary school... to do her tap routine (you can view it here, and my sincere apologies as my camera boffed up the audio - she actually did everything perfect, my camera screwed it up:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1hsZ6RVmsM ) as a part of a show put on for the PTO.  She did great, and the teacher was happy.  AFTER, she started off the schools talent show with a routine she made up all on her own (with very LITTLE help from me - most of it was just improvising on the spot because that's what she wanted to do).  The teacher had already been talking about her taking more classes, but after seeing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7XdU8HG … re=channel was convinced she should probably be on the competition team next year (with a little more one on one).

After all this, she then had her recital.  She did that tap routine, a ballet routine and this acro routine (she's the one in the middle at the beginning and end, walking out toward the crowd upsidedown!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7XdU8HG … re=channel

And the ultimate ... at the end of the recital, 6 kids were awarded $50 scholarships toward their classes next year.  My little Stephanie was one of them!  The award was made by the school, in memory of the woman who started the school - The owner's late mother... and while reading off the details of the scholarship the owner got a bit teary eyed.  My husband and I were both choked up, I wanted to thank them and I could not bring myself to do it because I would have burst into tears (don't worry, a thank you letter is on the way).  This scholarship clearly meant so much to them and they gave it to my baby.  I am so honored and proud!

I already put info about this up on my facebook account, so I'm sorry for those that are reading this AGAIN... I just still can't get over how proud I am of her.  She is amazing to me.  So for those that aren't on facebook - here's a couple pictures of my little princess!

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs292.snc3/28264_1508272225393_1191936679_31460643_6858254_s.jpg  http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs090.snc4/35863_1509614578951_1191936679_31464840_286064_s.jpg  http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs110.snc4/35863_1509614738955_1191936679_31464843_4639531_s.jpg  http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs050.ash2/35863_1509614538950_1191936679_31464839_6766879_s.jpg

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Proud of my little girl

Good for you Amy !

I know how you feel my little girl was in gymnastics and was on the showteam. When she was about three or four she had to stand on her head center court while the other older girls performed a routine at halftime of the highschool basketball game. She was on her head a long time and when it ended her coach had to go out and tell her to come down. The crowd roared and her mother couldn't get the smile of her face and the tears were flowing with joy smile

Later, Wayne P

Attagirl, Amy! Congratulations to Ms. Stephanie.
Dedication, devotion, your time and patience was needed and what Ms. Stephanie got in abundance.
We're proud of you both. Hard, happy work paid off. Since you work so well together, more good things are bound to happen for both of you.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Good for her and you.  A good little story.  I know my daughters played a lot of soccer and softball growing up.  They were downright good.  I used to enjoy watching their games.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Wow.  That's a lot of accomplishments from one so young.  You have every reason to be proud.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Congrats. She's already accomplished more than I have in 43 years!!!! And there's no way I could even consider doing a cart wheel!!!!!   yikes

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hi Amy,

You should be proud. There is a lot of talent in that little girl, give her a big 'well done' from me.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Congrats Amy and Steph! I have 3 boys, my brother has 3 girls. For years I have ribbed him about going to dance recitals and other "girly" stuff while I was able to participate (coach) my boys playing sports.

That said, having watched these videos, I realized I have missed something. Adorable is not a strong enough word.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thank you guys!  She just started taking classes last year (around her 4th birthday in February).  She talked non stop about how that was the only thing she wanted for her birthday present.  That was half way through the school year (dance school runs on the same schedule as regular public schools).  We were told when she started that she might not be able to be in the recital last year in June because she had so much to learn to catch up with the girls.  By the time last years recital came around, Stephanie was standing center stage in front of all the other girls as their "leader". 

She really does live to dance.  It's non stop.  My goal is to encourage her to never give up doing this as long as she loves it.  Even if she doesn't grow up to be anything professionally in the field of dance, it's a great outlet just like music is to many of us here at Chordie!

Wayne - I love your story!  I can just imagine how proud your wife was!  I get the jitters when Steph goes on stage (you can probably tell from my wiggly camera handling!  LOL - oh and sorry for yelling in everyone's ear!). 

Jeff - you can expect to enjoy more adorable videos from Stephanie and live vicariously through us.  smile

Toots - dedication - I have taken this to the point of actually letting her lead me through stretching exercises (she pretends to be the teacher) and I can actually do a bridge again.  The trick is remembering to do the stretches before attempting cartwheels.  OUCH!

When do we see the video of mum doing cartwheels?

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hehehe, like it Roger!

That's a great story about the little one and so nice to hear your words about encouraging her as long as she loves it. A proper parenting lesson for the "pushy parent" types that I dislike so much.

It's said that children are a reflection on their parents so you must be extremely proud, you're doing a great job with your little one judging on this! Hurraaah!!!

M

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Ha ha Roger!  I will see what I can do about that... I'm curious to know myself how funny I look doing them!  big_smile

Mark - my parents taught me a valuable lesson... don't do what they did!  LOL!  I had the brains to be a doctor and was pushed to follow my love of animals and be a veterinarian.  I dropped out of that schooling before I even started.  My true love was in the arts (music most specifically - surprise?)... yet I was pushed away from that because I was "smarter than that" and music wasn't a "good career choice, just a good hobby".  I refuse to do that with my kids.  Do what you love, whatever it is... and if you can make money doing it all the better!  Also good to note that you can have many loves... but the true love is the one you need to follow.