Topic: My Brain is changing. A Rant!

Two things have slowly been changing inside my brain when it comes to listening to beautiful music, maybe three.

One, I'm slowly becoming more judgmental about other musicians. If I'm in a particularly bad mood I can be particularly cynical. When I listen to the lyrics I start writing down words in my head might have thought sounded better in the song. I've been singing for about five years(choir singing and voice lessons) slowly it started to ruin styles of music that involved bad singing habits. I didn't like country and most of the current pop out there, but now it sounds something like nails on a chalk board. I think the same thing is happening to me with the guitar. If the guitar part isn't interesting the song is now boring. Nothing can be simple.....
Which brings me to the second rant. The genres of music I enjoy are changing completely. Is it me just getting old(is 18 old)? Because I'm really starting to enjoy classical. Not just guitar, Classical everything. Last week I listened to some music from the Baroque period and I fell in love it with. Is this normal? Radiohead amazing, ever since six months ago when I started listening to them (I'll always love smashing pumpkins, that won't change). There is very little that's main stream I enjoy anymore. I listened to some 70 rock...that put me in a good mood, which was weird, because before that any band that wore extreme amounts of makeup automatically sucked (even though that was more of the 80's)Is this normal? I'm starting to enjoy folk guitar....when will the changing end? (answer, never)

*sigh, I guess I just have to follow where my ear listens. Does anyone else go through this? 
did you get cynical about other people's music of the course of learning your instrument?

no audience required.

Re: My Brain is changing. A Rant!

If you are 18 and just beginning to experience life more fully as an adult, it is absolutely normal for your tastes to change. 

Also, most modern Country and all current pop stinks.  So it's good that you recognize that.  However, all Country is not bad.  Good country just doesn't get much air play.  Except Brad Paisley, it seems.  Why Kenny Chesney and other artists who have good songs can't get THOSE on the radio, I don't know.  Anyway, there's terrific country out there, but it's called "Alt Country" or "Americana".  Why it is "alt" when it's far closer to the real roots of Country than the pop-ish trash that gets air play, I have no idea.  All that off-key screeching is horrendous.  Check out "Old Crow Medicine Show" and "Zak Brown Band" for starters. 

Now, Classical is amazing so it's good that you are learning to enjoy it.  If you like Classical, you may also want to check out some classically trained jazz artists.  George Benson, Al Jerau (not spelled correctly, pronounced Jerr-oh) and some others. 

80's music stinks out loud.  Avoid it at all costs.  There were a few redeeming acts (REM and U2 and other "moan rock" bands come to mind), but there's a ton of bands that were duplicates of one another.  Poison, Ratt, Guns'n'Roses.  I think they were actually all the same people with different wigs and makeup. 

Folk is where it's at.  You're going to hear some outrageous acoustic guitar being played.  I could put names here, but it seems that the best pickers don't make it huge.  Check out local music scenes when you can.  That's where you're going to hear some guys that keep day jobs but like getting out for gigs.  They're going to play things you've never heard and will make your jaw drop.  There's a guy in my area who was doing a gig with his girlfriend, who had been gigging professionally for 16 years, so she was no slouch.  He was playing a song that got faster each go 'round.  She was playing rhythm guitar and eventually just had to drop out because she couldn't keep up, and he started playing the rhythm part TOO.  As in IN ADDITION TO THE LEAD AND SINGING.  Yeah.  There's some hot folk pickers out there. 

But if you want to hear the most amazing pickers I've heard, not folks just doing arpeggios really fast really far up the neck, but real amazing pickers, then go hear some live Bluegrass.  If you can't get out for some live Bluegrass, then check out Doc Watson and Ricky Scaggs.   Ricky Scaggs started his professional musical career at six years old because a producer heard him playing mandolin backstage and he was outplaying the stars.  Doc Watson and Ricky Scaggs will throw out some flat-picking licks that will have you rewinding the video to try and count the notes played per second.  And their hands barely seem to move. 

Edit to add: Here's Doc Watson, Earl Scruggs, and Ricky Scaggs all on the same stage more or less jamming.  They don't get really rolling on this one, but it's an example of the sort of quality musicianship you can hear in a lot of Bluegrass.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxiligIJ … re=related

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I think it's normal, and I don't think it ends.  You are beginning to appreciate things that are more difficult and individual.  The problem is when you start getting to critical with yourself because you aren't capable of reproducing what you love, well that's my problem anyway!  smile  I still enjoy singing opera type, Italian Arias more than anything else because that's the only "training" I've actually had and that's what I do best.  No one I know likes to listen to it though!  ha ha ha!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!  80's music stinks out loud?????? I have to whole heartedly disagree. There has not been a music revolution of that magnitude since Elvis and the Beatles. Whether is was hair bands, new wave, or rap, the 80's changed music forever. I grew up on 80's music so I am a little biased. Up until then it was going downhill. I mean the 70's was very music challenged. Since then we're spiraling down again. since the 90's I've had a very hard time finding new popular music I like. It's time for another music revolution.

Taylor, like Zurf and MKM said, it's normal. Your tastes will change with age. As you get older you will learn to appreciate music instead of just enjoying it. You'll travel down lots of different roads on the musical journey. I think blues is where it's at. The soul that is put into the blues is just amazing. Funny, I still love my 80's hair bands tho. Don't worry about your tastes changing. Just sit back, hold on, and enjoy the ride. Explore the music.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a generational thing.  We all tend to like the music from our younger growing up days better.  Those songs, when we get older, bring back amazing memories, good or bad.  I like 50's and 60's music the best because that was what I was hearing as I grew up.  New music, which is anything after that period, doesn't sound as good to us.  Oh, there are certain newer songs that come along that we really like, but for the most part, they just aren't quite as good as the ones we listened to when we were younger.  I'm with Zurf.  I love old country and rock and roll, but the newer stuff just seems to hit a nerve and we tend to bad mouth most of it.  And Blues never seems to change a lot, so I love it.  New country music is just a lot of yelling in my opinion, with a few exceptions here and there.  When I was young in the 60's, I couldn't stand soul music.  When I got much older, I found that I like a lot of the old soul music, probably because it brings back memories.  I have quite a collection actually.  RAP and SKA, well I just don't get it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I've heard some pieces of ska I really liked, but I'm glad some people brought up jazz because I've been really warming up to that style as well, and I guess I shouldn't have said that I hate all country, I just don't know if I want to look into it that far when I find myself loving an almost full genre I've been listening to (I'll make sure to look up Americana though, it sounds interesting). I guess I just have to keep growing. I'm a 90's baby(being 18, duh)

If anyone wants to send me some music you've found interesting over the years feel free to do so.
taylorwalton18@gmail.com I might change it sometime, because this email address says a little to much, but it will stay the same for now.

no audience required.

Well here's the thing about music - the music that endures tends to be pretty good.  When we hear 70's music now, it's Neil Young and the Alman Brothers and Jimmy Buffett and some really good stuff.  But if you had a radio in the 70's, you were a whole lot more likely to hear Lips Inc. or Bee Gees (but only post Staying Alive, none of their good early stuff like Trafalgar).  I think the same with the 80's.  All I remember from the 80's is hair bands (they weren't originals or revolutionary, they were expansions on Van Halen which is a 70's band and that was a modernization of Louis Prima's act limited to four power chords) and a pop apocalypse of The Bangles and Oingo Boingo and Banarama and the Thompson Twins.  That was all Blues chords with electronic drums, sort of the unholy love child of blues and disco (God save us all).  But you're right, there is some 80's music that has endured and it's pretty good. 

If you want the modern music revolution, you can get it with Indie groups.  The internet has freed music from the tyranny of the studios - but not the radio stations.  The radio stations don't play good stuff.  Turn to Pandora.  Send me you're e-mail address back-channel and I'll send you a terrific station of mostly modern EXCELLENT music.  Todd Snider and Old Crow Medicine Show and Dirt Road Truckers and Guy Clark and others.  Good stuff.   Edit to add: Cross Canadian Ragweed.  If there's a decent follow-on to the Grateful Dead, they're it.  I know, I know, Phish.  Yes, they've stood in the gap.  But CCR (not THAT CCR, the new one) is ... is...  well, just give them a listen. 

Pete - get with the program.  Ska is a repeat of big band music with electric instruments.  It's great stuff.  I'll join you in the anti-Rap room, though, and drink a toast to The Outlaws with you.  Maybe some time I'll have to tell you the story of how liking The Outlaws kept my brother-in-law and I from getting shot. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I think you are normal,I like almost all kinds of music,Istill love my rock ,blues country best but I started to listen to classical about ten years ago and I also heard some xmas music by povrotti and I love to listen tothese two kinds of music with my rock,I also hear some old rock that I do not like anymore. dont be surprised if you find yourself wanting to play piano. I am doing alot of spanish/flamingo style and piano playing now. I belive to grow as a musican you need to look around and listen and change if you want to.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Taylor and Pete - I sent you a Pandora station via e-mail. 

Taylor - It's normal for your tastes to change.   It's only just beginning and it won't be limited to your music.  Food, clothes, what women you find attractive, what hobbies you enjoy, all sorts of things will be changing.  And that's as it should be.  Don't fret it and enjoy the ride.  Now slow down, dagnabbit.  And hey!  Get off my lawn. 

- Zurf

Congratulations!!
A change of brain is always good.

You're just experiencing music for all that it is now.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

11 (edited by bensonp 2010-08-10 13:56:19)

I listen to Pandora all the time.  I'll check it out,Zurf.  I guess I was thinking more of punk rock than ska.  I'll have to give ska a little listen.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Try No Doubt and Barenaked Ladies for ska.  Punk is something I don't have much use for either (sorry Ken if you are lurking). 

- Zurf

There is good and bad in every musical genre (yes, even Rap) as well in every era. There is also alot of garbage for every style and time period. Your mind and ears are opening up and that's a good thing. Listen to it all without bias and let your ears make their own decision.

I used to think I hated country but then I realized I hated Pop Country.

I used to hate Rap and then I listed to Snoop Dogg's 1st album. If you don't nod your head during Gin and Juice you need to get your "funk" checked!!!!!

Bottom line is every genre has something to offer smile

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

My funk meter is really low.

bensonp wrote:

Have you been neglecting your funk changes?  You need to get a funk change after every 3,000 songs.  I recommend Dr. John's Iko Iko or perhaps War's Low Rider at loud volume.  Dr. John brands his funk as fonk, but even a fonk change is good for you.   If those don't do you, try looking up a band out of Texas named Mingo Fishtrap.  They'll get you all funked up. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:
bensonp wrote:

Have you been neglecting your funk changes?  You need to get a funk change after every 3,000 songs.  I recommend Dr. John's Iko Iko or perhaps War's Low Rider at loud volume.  Dr. John brands his funk as fonk, but even a fonk change is good for you.   If those don't do you, try looking up a band out of Texas named Mingo Fishtrap.  They'll get you all funked up. 

- Zurf

Or George Clintobn's band "Funkadelic".

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

The Funk train is heading down the tracks.  I'll get my funk on dudes.

Good music is good music no matter what style. Fats Waller said to the effect that it's all just notes and he played classical, jazz and popular music when he "Ain't Misbehaven"

Awwwww yeah, funk is where it's at!!

big_smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

If you wanna get down check out the late  "Great Beau Jocque"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvUPmKnr … re=related

Later, Wayne P

Is that Cajun Funk at its finest, badeye?  Gimme a category I can get down to.

That's some good music !   My Name Is Beau Jocque is one of the best CD's I have ever purchased  "Pop that Coochie" will get everyone on their feet and shakin and dancin smile       Zydeco Cajun Blues and a little funky too

Later, Wayne P

Zydeco!  Yeah.  CJ Chenier, Buckwheat Zydeco, Momma Z(?) and the Gators.  Hot dog, that is good tunage. 

By now, we have totally hijacked Taylor's thread.  Sorry Taylor.  I guess we're all rethinking our music!

bensonp wrote:

Is that Cajun Funk at its finest, badeye?  Gimme a category I can get down to.

try this pete for funk,        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe1ScoePqVA

badeye  cool

one caper after another

And hijack the thread we will.  I remember that one.  Good song.  This is the funk I remember.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5gLyKBGSU