Topic: Stage Debut

Quick backgound information - playing from scratch for a lilttle under 1 1/2 years,  Never played or sang publically before.

Some friend of mine who have been playing guitar for years have formed a band and having been playing in local pubs and clubs in my home area.  Saw them for the first time about 2 months ago and they were very good.  Gar the lead singer suggest to me to get on stage with them to play and sing a song or two.  I jokingly passed it off and muttered I'll have to go and practice first [I would be shy to a certain extent].  It caught up with me 2 nights ago, they played locally again and I was confronted [in my own mind I know I have to do this to develop as a guitar player, out of the comfort zone if you like] to play again.  Dont know what came over me but I said alright and my debut on stage began.

It was the most frightening experience of my life.  I played and sang 2 songs, I was concentrating so much I forgot the chords to the first song and stopped midway and started again, then on the second song I was so determined to get the chords right I lost my way with the words.  When it was over I thanked the lads [who were delighted I did it and said well done, fair play to ya], I sat down and in my head thought 'what a disaster, I must have looked a right idiot'.  Still despite all this there was a self satisfaction that I had the guts to do it.

I really have a great appreciation of anyone who plays in public but I suppose [I hope] it gets easier from here...

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now or then...

Re: Stage Debut

As many professional performers have an autocue moniter facing them I see so shame in taking a songsheet with words and chords on stage. Just having it there can give you that extra bit of confidence so that you don't in fact use it but, if the nerves really do bite, it can be a real benefit.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Can't tell you how many professionals use moniters to cue up their song, use music stands to hold their sheet music or just tape the lyrics to their guitar. No shame.

Nela

Thanks Roger and Nela for your advise.  I could sing and play both songs now without sheets, my problem on the night was I didnt realise till it was over how much the nerves would effect my performance.  It was the guitar lesson you just cant buy...

And it only gets easier each time you do it.  It sounds like you did well despite the stage fright.  Next time will be a little better.  Good luck to ya.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

The more you do it the better it gets. Plus, you're w/ a band and have bandmates to support and cover each other. Keep at it, it'll turn out to be fun sooner then later!!

Congrats to you Bim. You bit the bullet and did something that most will never do. I think that feeling of satisfaction will be haunting you until you do it again. I would think it will get easier as everyone says due to the fact that now you know what to expect. My hats off to ya!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks zguitar I appreciate that and your right, in a way I'm quietly looking forward to the next time and I think I'll be better prepared to deal with the stage fright.  Ta for that...

Sounds like you got past it in good shape, Jim morrison of the doors  turned his back to the audiance in the beginning of his onstage performaces,look where he went. ( for several years )

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Well done sir !! There are folks that would never even contemplate getting up there and it IS scary but it gets better..keep doing it ! I find that you can play at home and its burned into your subconscious ( and thats where they should be before going public with it) and never miss a beat ..but put a mike in front of you and your brain fades lol.... a good tip I was shown and do is have a mike at home , even a pretend one and play with that in front of you....

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

It's ALWAYS better to have 'em and not need 'em than to need 'em and not have 'em.............

Give everything but up.

Cudos to you for getting on stage and attempting it... sounds like you did quite well!  Had you played a third song, I bet you'd have gotten everything together perfectly!  Now you're ready for next time... don't be surprised if those nerves come back... but you'll be better prepared for them!  Good job and thank you for sharing your story with us!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Wow, congrats!
I would have melted into a puddle of nerves.

Rock on,
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

14 (edited by bimmam 2010-08-11 19:39:26)

Thanks everyone for the good comments.  Ray good idea about getting a mic for my home, will definitely do that. 

Detman101, I dont advise the meltdown, its not pretty, lol.

Mekidsmom I read your thread a short while ago where you were performing [with your Dad I think] and I dedicded I must do that.

Now to give you a laugh, if had to play a third song I probably would have given myself a guitar life threatening injury, let me expalin - during one of my songs which was upbeat the pick slipped in between the wrong fingers and I was stumming so fast I gave myself a friction burn on the middle finger of my strumming hand.  Sore as hell but I wont do that again, lol...

Finally, Dino48 - me and Jim Morrison in the same thread, now I know it was all worth it...