Re: which is better. teaching yourself or getting a teacher?

I've been playing for about 4 weeks and have started with a teacher. He's very good, I'm 33 and his day job is teaching guitar to primary and secondary school kids so he has lots of patients. After the hour long lesson we go to the pub for a jar and have a chat about the world.

even though it probably does take longer to learn things without a teacher it is possible to learn up to a good standard and you'll save a LOT of money big_smile.

12345abcd3

I firmly believe there are important advantages to having a teacher.  A good teacher is an excellent resource.  A good student can maximize their learning potential with the guidance and advice of a teacher.

A teacher is like a native guide that can help you find the best route through the jungle.  If you are motivated to learn, a teacher can provide advice and guidance that will help you get where you want to go faster.

Also, deciding to pay for lessons can be an important step towards being committed to learn and improve.  Yes, lessons cost money - but if you channel your energy to really getting the most from a teacher's advice then it will be an good investment that pays off handsomely.

A teacher can't make you learn - but if you are motivated to learn, a teacher can speed the process.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

well...i teach a 5th grader and sometimes i c that he is really just zoning out....like i'll be talking to him and he'll like totally just tune me out and im not sure how to get him out of that but if u r havin troubles concentrating i'd get rid of all the distractions....and if that don't work get back to me
~short man out~

Raegan wrote:

Im the same age as you but i have a teacher and i want to study but i have trouble concentrating what should i do to make me conceentrate?

im teaching myself but its alot harder tan having a teacher

I taught myself to play the guitar, and I have been playing for 30 plus years,  I also play with a couple local groups here.   I found that to teach yourself your must be very dedicated to  learning the proper way to play.      I spend 1 hour a day everyday with my music.  I will not settle for less, this is my time and my family respects this and leaves me alone.  I also taught myself to play keyboard, at which I am very good .    I would say whatever works for you then go for it, but really give yourself to it.

ive had my guitar for 2 years and i havnt had a problem with teaching myself...for the first 2 months having it i thought about getting lessons but then i thought teaching miself wood b easia but i neva new that lessons mite be betta

LOVE KILLZ

i think a bit of both
i can play two types of guitat classic and electric
im taught classic at school but im teaching myself electric
aslong as you know the basics you cant really go wrong after that

its just a name!

[url=http://www.myspace.com/punked_will]www.myspace.com/punked_will[/url]

both without a dout.....also keep your eyes open and pay attention when you see someone playing. I have picked up a lot just watching other people playing

what a long strange trip it's been

groovy!

Currently teaching myself from cd's/dvd's/tuition books.  I find it boring if you just stick to what these are teaching you (although very useful). I have been learning some easy songs aswell as learning from the different formats which seems to have given me an extra advantage at getting used to some akward chord changes us beginners face.

I was watching willie nelson in concert on tv last night. I was really impressed. the  man can play. he was playing some tastey licks on that old beat up martin of his. there is a thing he does while playing lead, using two strings at a time that I like. something that I am going to work on. hence one can often learn and or get ideas from watching others play

teaching yourself definetly takes more time but if you teach yourself its easier to devolope your own playing style

I believe having a teacher will take you further faster but also requires more dedication. (you must complete you homework after each lesson) learning on your own you progress at your own pace, whatever that may be

For me, it all depends on whether you're happiest following the rules or making your own. Personally I like to make my own, but when it comes to music, there's a lot to be said for conforming. I know of a chap who asked Les Paul the secret of playing the guitar. Les Paul answered with a single word.

"Practice"

A teacher can show you what to do, but you must practice on your own.

i agree with franbow...practice is the magic word....how long can u depend on a teacher and make him run after you to make you learn guitar if ur not even dedicated to it....
the only thing one needs is passion for the instrument and with passion there automatically comes you sitting with ur guitar several hours a day and thats practice...

saba

love is like a violin, the music may stop now and then but the strings remain forever...

i have to say it depends on who you are and how you learn im awaiting my first gutiar (a cheap Epi SG) (im saving up for a real gison mabey another SG or maby a firebird) but defanitly it depends i cant teach myself and im takeing lessons with one of my teachers from 8th grade but yes it depends on who you are.

dont light yourself on fire... it kinda hurts.

Well, I have finally hit a wall and I'm no longer progressing.

=[

Time to get a teacher, I think I've learned all I can learn on my own.

*cry*
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

im teaching my self by a dvd i bought, practice is pretty much ok but im having troubles with my strumming, cant do it properly, its like i cant follow a strumm from a song. so by now im kinda stuck which is kinda frustrating. ive tried to learn before and got problems with strumming and i stopped, now here i am again on the same situation.

my guitar is like my brother.
we never get along..