Topic: Just back from the river

Four days on the New River during which time I got a broken rod, a broken paddle, wrenched my back, and gave myself a minor concussion.  Whew.  But there was GOOD music.  Thursday night we played from about 7:30 or 8:00PM until about 2:00AM (it's hard to tell exactly, we were on 'river time').  Now, I had consumed just a bit too much whiskey and so I played and sang poorly.  Alternatively my friend Dirty Ed had a bit too much Yeungling beer and it unleashed a torrent of songs from thirty years of memory, which he played with ridiculous fluidity.  Friday night I remained whiskey free (we were out by then) and played and sang much better.  Fortunately we were not out of Yeungling beer and so Dirty Ed was still "on".  We had a good time until about 1:00AM, after which time the others had a good time while I slept in my chair. 

Man, we played everything.  The music was by far better than the fishing. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Just back from the river

Sounds Awsome Zurf!!!!!11

Sounds like a week of recovery is in order.....ahhhh reality smile

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

It sounds like a wonderful time, all considering.  Nothing like whiskey river time.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

geoaguiar wrote:

I was thinking just the opposite.  It's clear that I have to learn to play and sing while drinking whiskey.  That's my fault for practicing sober. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

I was thinking just the opposite.  It's clear that I have to learn to play and sing while drinking whiskey.  That's my fault for practicing sober. 

- Zurf

Wow...perhaps you're right. But to become really good you'll have to be intoxicated most of the time for practice purposes. So you're gonna have to learn to work while intoxicated which is actually pretty pleasant so long as you have a desk job wink

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:
Zurf wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

- Zurf

Wow...perhaps you're right. But to become really good you'll have to be intoxicated most of the time for practice purposes. So you're gonna have to learn to work while intoxicated which is actually pretty pleasant so long as you have a desk job wink

I do have a desk job, but I don't think I could do it intoxicated.  It's so dry that if I had the slightest bit of a depressant in my system that I'd probably run screaming or cause some damage.  Not good.  I guess I'll just have to continue to practice sober.

8 (edited by Dirty Ed 2010-08-16 23:31:07)

Hi everyone, Zurf told me about this site a couple of years ago and I've been lurking/reading y'alls posts since then but this is my first post.

Had a great time doing a little campfire picking with Zurf - he's really improved since the first time he brought along a guitar to one of our fishing "rodeos".  Actually it was too hot to have a fire so we sat in a circle around a lantern and played.

I did learn something new last weekend - I seem to be able to play the songs I've written when I was sober a lot better if play them early in the evening, then after I've had a few adult beverages I can remember all the songs I've written while under the "alfluence of incohol".  There are a lot more of the latter variety so I was still going strong until about 2 AM.

Dirty Ed

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Welcome to Chordie Dirty Ed!

I had the pleasure of meeting / drinking / jamming with Zurf a few months ago. If you are anything like him, I am sure a good time was at hand.

Zurf - I always say if you go to work on Monday without being a little bite sore, that's proof you had a crappy weekend.

One of these weekends, I'll join ya!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

10 (edited by cameronkl7 2010-08-17 01:55:20)

Hi Dirty ED,

Gotta love that name, I have a cousin called Fast Eddie, we both love going to the river, fishing, having a few drinks, talking junk and seeing who can tell the best "exgerated true lies" and we love our music, sounds like good times with you and Zurf, so tell us, did Zurf have to slip in a B chord anywhere? Welcome to the Chordie site and please share your stories and insight.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Welcome to Chordie Dirty Ed.  Now that you're here, may I recommend checking out the Songwriters forum?  I did a few songs over the weekend that I lifted (with permission) from that forum.  Seems like Selso's song about his Hippy Chick went over the best, but that might be because I did that one Friday night.

Way to go Zurf and Dirty Ed!  I have the pleasure of hearing Dirty Ed's music at our local open mic's.  He does a great job with the music he writes and performs.  I even had him play my new guitar one night just so I could tell what it sounded like played by somebody who knew what they were doing.  I really do need to go on one of these "rodeo's" as you guys call them.  At least the camp part of it.  It sounds like sooooo much fun.   Hmmmm, practicing while intoxicated; I may have to give that a try.  I bet you I would sound pretty good to myself after a portion of Crown Royal. LOL   Welcome to Chordie Dirty Ed!  See you at Open Mic, soon, I hope.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Thanks for the welcome everyone.  Not sure I'll have much to add, but I enjoy reading everyone's posts.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

At my advanced stage of geezerhood, I find a beerski or two perk me up and get me into a picking groove. more beers than that and my performance begins to suffer.
I once took a Sunday off from my club band gig in the 1980's to ride a charter bus to a Saints football game. I brought a quart of Johnny Walker and got drunk  on the way to the game and got drunk a second time on the way home. My wife woke me up and drove me to our club gig instead of home.
We arrived early in the third set around eleven P.M. The guys were glad to see me and got me up on stage and asked me to sing a new song we had recently rehearsed. My performance was a complete car wreck. My band mates asked my wife, "What's the matter with HIM?" She explained about the whisky and after swilling coffee for the rest of the third set, I got up and played the forth hour and was at least some help.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

lolololol funny az you guys, once was a heavy hardout drinker of all sorts me, then one day me wife say "something gotta go" , she say I
gotta choose one of three what goes, the Booze, the Guitar or Her, she picks up my beloved Fender Strat like a baseball bat look'n at me serious like i'm a baseball, she say to me "I love you, but for your health 'n safety you better pick the booze" well fellow chordians, as woeful as this
may sound, I am a happily married (same woman) guitar play'n man, that true story was fifteen years ago, geez I miss me booze all the coke I drink just doesn't cut it, ahhwell whatever instrument it is, keep on play'n.(drunk, halfcut or sober)

The way of the muso ....

RhythmNbalance

Welcome Dirty Ed.

topdown wrote:

Zurf - I always say if you go to work on Monday without being a little bite sore, that's proof you had a crappy weekend.

Steady on tiger!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000