Topic: Nut adjustment (pardon the pun)

I’ve been looking into getting a new bone or tusk nut having changed my saddle a while back with great results.  Before I do anything I want to get the existing plastic one exactly right so I have a perfect template to work off. 

I’ve always felt the nut was a little high anyway, I’ve adjusted the guitar over the course of the year I’ve had it so that the action is perfect for my style.  However I’ve always found it harder to barre on the first fret than on the second and third fret. 

I also read in a few places that as guide, if you capo the 3rd fret, the gap between the low E string and the first fret should be approx 0.05in or 0.125mm.  Granted I haven’t gauged the gap but whilst not huge is considerably bigger than that.

Now I know a few of you will say “practice† and “technique† and “develop finger strength† but the truth is with a capo attached or barring on the higher frets I’m fine!

Anyhow, I assume the nut is glued in place so it will need a gentle tap but any other suggestions or tips would be appreciated.  I’m a fully qualified bench joiner although I don’t do it anymore so no need to worry about me taking a 10lb hammer to my guitar!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: Nut adjustment (pardon the pun)

I'm curious to know the answers you get here on this one Crevs.  I really haven't been able yet to do any barre chords, but I do find that putting a capo on and playing up a few frets higher is much easier on my wee girlie fingers.  I have been wondering if nut adjustment would make playing my open chords without a capo easier.  I wouldn't be doing any nut adjustments any time soon, but it'll be interesting to hear the responses you get here.  I'm open to learning for the time when I'm ready!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Some good info here.

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14188

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

People find it easier to play farther up the neck because the frets are closer together, so it's a more natural fit for your hand.  You have big ole' clumsy monkey hands designed for grabbing banannas and picking fleas.   Guitar player hands have to articulate in all kinds of weird directions.  The middle of the neck is about where most folks fingers lie "naturally."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks for the comments especially DM for the link, that was great help.

Well, I got home early last night, cleared the kitchen table, covered it in a towel and away I went.

First I measured the gap between the low E and string and the first fret and I measured it as 0.6 to 0.7mm (sorry you guys over the pond who work in inches). I then placed a capo on the first fret and measured the gap between the low E and 2nd fret and although there was a gap it was not measureable with my steel ruler but I would guess 0.25mm.

So, before slackening the strings I scored around both edges of the nut with a modelling knife to stop the liqueur chipping when it was removed.  Then I loosened the strings enough so that I could lift them out of the grooves in the nut and pull them to the side.  Then I scored along either side of the nut with a knife.

Then with the end of chop stick and wooden spoon (improvisation or what) I gently tapped the nut from either end to try and loosen it but it wouldn’t move.  Then I got my modelling knife and gently squeezed it between the nut and neck and up she pops without any force at all.

Then marked a pencil line around the base of the nut about 0.25mm from the base, I didn’t want to sand to this line straight off, I just wanted to use it as a guide to see how much I was taking off and make sure what I was taking off was even.  I got a sheet of medium grade sandpaper and held it flat on the table and with the other hand rubbed the nut on it making sure there was even pressure on the length of the nut.  It’s then a case of replacing the nut and tuning in both E strings and measuring the gap, it took 2 goes to get it about right so I then tightened all the strings, tuned up and had a play and it was incredible the difference it makes. 

So finally I removed the nut again and dabbed a little glue on the underside and fitted again making sure that the nut was firmly set into the grove before tuning.  After tuning I lifted all the strings from the guitar individually and retuned as they’d all went a little flat as I guess the nut was being forced back into place.

I can’t tell you how happy I am with the result, it’s a massive improvement even when playing open chords.  The guitar seems to have more sustain and tone but that may be because it’s far easier to finger chords.   One thing I didn’t expect to find was that it’s easier to barre with a capo, I guess it’s because the strings are under less stress because they are now closer to the frets?

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Thank you for sharing your experience Crevs!  Knowing that lowering the nut makes such a difference is a great thing.  I'd been thinking all along that I was just going to lower the saddle.  I had done a measurement and everything seemed alright for that.  I guess I need to look again up higher on the neck and see about a nut adjustment.  Of course, I'd want to do everything right like Pix suggested, although if everything is evenly off... I don't see why this method would be bad.  Sounds like you did a great job!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hmmmm.  Well, I was already thinking of changing my nut to Tusq or bone and lowering my saddle a little more.  I wonder if lowering my nut would be good too.  The Tusq is just so inexpensive.  If you've noticed such a difference, perhaps it is worth it.  The Tusq saddle has made a huge difference in tone, but not in playability.  Perhaps lowering the bridge a little more and adding a Tusq nut that is lower than the current one would make the difference I want.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

8 (edited by Detman101 2010-08-26 11:46:51)

Congrats Crevs, Glad I could provide a little insight and help.
http://www.omahaparrotheadclub.com/images/thumbs_up.jpg
I'm glad you're loving the new lowered action. I had the same experience when I first did the nut-mod.
I love my acoustic and my electric...they're soooo much easier to play now.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle