Topic: Another Rant

I....I... I almost don't know what happened.

It all started when we decided to take a trip to the Library (we were on a budget). Most of the time we were just browsing around. First I looked at the magazine section and then I hopped over to the comic section to see what I could find; nothing. It then struck me to look in the music section.

And there it was, almost as if it were a sign from God. It was the book. While I was at the library I only had time to read the introduction, but my first impression was that, "this book means business" It did.
The name of the book was plain and simple. "How to Write Songs on the Guitar"
I wanted to check it out I really did, but I didn't own a library card...I had to come back the next day.

Now, after going through 25 pages I feel like my Pool of guitar knowledge just turned into a very small glass of water.....with a crack at the bottom.

Seriously!!!! All the book had a chance to say were some tips on how to "start" writing some songs and go through the basic built structures of chords. I think I stopped out of amazement at the Minor chords with the added major seventh chords (Ex: Am/major 7) Even though I was familiar with most everything in the book...this turned my world upside down. it just presented everything so clear to me when it was fairly vague in my mind.

I now feel like I know nothing....And I love the feeling. Its almost as if I can start learning all over again.
Ever felt this way? I feel inspired to learn. Its like someone just handed me a Road map when before I was driving where ever the wind took me.

no audience required.

Re: Another Rant

Nice one, i was inspired a few weeks ago after reading an autobiography on nirvana, since then i haven't put my electric down. I just felt that if 3 kids could create music like they did with very little life experience to draw from then there was no excuse for me not to at least try. Since reading it i've written 2 songs which are pretty ok even if i do say so myself.
One thing for sure, it's much more fun playing your own stuff than covers!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

That is FANTASTIC!  Hey, there's no reason to knock the library.  It's a great place to get free information... on a budget or not!    Good for you.  And a new page turns...

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

The more you learn, the more you recognize how little you know.  Keep on learning.  Well done.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have that book.  It's OK. Any "how to write songs" book is going to use theory and chord structure as a basis.   They do that because theory is how you write songs!   smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I have some friends who live right by a lake in Florida. Many alligators live in that lake but they still swim in it when the weather's nice. They swear it’s a life changing experience. I guess what I'm saying is the songwriting waters may be scary but go ahead and dive in anyway...you'll be better for it.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Swimming in a lake full of alligators sure does sound inviting.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

Swimming in a lake full of alligators sure does sound inviting.

It is a little living on the edge that's for sure...bet it's a great cardio workout.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm definitely going to write down some notes on the book before I turn it back in (mostly on Chords)

I always knew that there were, for example, three different positions to to play a tried Chord
(1 3 5, 3 5 1 and 5 1 3) in the same way that the piano has a first, second and third position.
I just didn't have them memorized. Not just the majors, but also the minors ect.

no audience required.

I think there's a baby aligator in my guitar or it's a bunch of picks I put in but can't get out!!