Topic: Just an example of his greatnes

After seeing Rhett Miller of the Old 97's play solo acoustic live I was amazed that one person could produce the same type of high energy that the entire band does.

Rhett Miller is my guitar inspiration. I have only been learning for about a little over a year and a half and I have a long way to go.

I come to this forum seeking advice and help(a lot). I do not know any other guitar players to bounce things off so it is helpful to toss a question or two out here and read the kind words of reply.

If you could please, watch this video and help me break down what he is doing. His strumming pattern is crazy to me but to more advanced players it may not seem so. Are there any little tricks he is doing to get that sound besides playing like a madman? Your thoughts and experienced guitar playing advice is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYvctTRoutg

Re: Just an example of his greatnes

nevets17 wrote:

After seeing Rhett Miller of the Old 97's play solo acoustic live I was amazed that one person could produce the same type of high energy that the entire band does.

Rhett Miller is my guitar inspiration. I have only been learning for about a little over a year and a half and I have a long way to go.

I come to this forum seeking advice and help(a lot). I do not know any other guitar players to bounce things off so it is helpful to toss a question or two out here and read the kind words of reply.

If you could please, watch this video and help me break down what he is doing. His strumming pattern is crazy to me but to more advanced players it may not seem so. Are there any little tricks he is doing to get that sound besides playing like a madman? Your thoughts and experienced guitar playing advice is appreciated.

Nope! you are correct, he is strumming like a madman. There is a method to his madness though, He is holding a distinct strum pattern.Not enough time in the day to break it down.

if you dont know how to strum that way its because your not familar with timing theres nothing hard to it just up tempo 16th note chords what I mean by that is count
1234= quarter beats
1&2&3&4 =eights count 1and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1e&ah2e&ah3e&ah4e=16th 1e and ah 2e and ah 3e and ah 4e and ah  just start slow and keep the meter even then speed up to warp 9

"Growing old is not for sissies"

one other thing I fail to see the "Greatness" but then I dont care for this genre

"Growing old is not for sissies"

No Disrespect to the orignal poster, to each his own, but I agree with Russell, I don't see greatness. I think Benson hit it on the nail in another post once, It's a generational thing, what I see as great is not what you might see as great. Since coming to Chordie I have found people like Tommy Emanuel, and Andy Mckee, now in my opinion those guys are great. I love rock and country, blues and different types of music and thats mostly what I listen to, but with out Chordie I would have never heard of these two guys. Again however no disrepect to the orignal poster of this thread and his idea of greatness, though I'm glad he inspires you to keep playing, so in the sense if it works for you then I'll concede it's great. Sorry, guess I'm just in a mood today.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

6 (edited by bensonp 2010-08-23 16:46:34)

I was going to say the same thing, Russell and cameron.  I was goiung to say, I am speechless.  Again, no offense, nevets.  If you like fast playing, here is someone to aspire to.  Leo Kottke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQhGEo8X … re=related

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

nice ben I saw Leo in a club in Fl a number of years ago and got a chance to talk to him. The amazing thing is that he's almost deaf

nevets17 wrote:

Good stuff nevets17 ! Rhetts' playing reminds me of some acoustic work Pete Townsend does/has done. The Old97's are a great band ! Don't let the negative input deter you from improving your playing. Rhett is fine player to model your style after, stick with it. And as far as the strumming pattern for this tune, it variates several times throughout but the "beef" riff is something like this;(v=down stroke u=upstroke) v-u-vvvvvvvv...... start out slowly and build up your speed as you feel comfortable......... ROCK ON Old 97's

Give everything but up.

I think greatness is relative to who perceives it. If you can't play a lick then some one who can play decently is great. If you are a master guitar player you will only find greatness in a guitar god. You will have peers at the same level that you think are great, but greatness won't be found on the lower rungs of the ladder from where you are at. Great or not, whatever inspires you is what you need at the moment.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Nevets,

Sorry to have went negative, just having a bad day today. As I said earlier if " whoever" inspires you then that in itself is great. I really do believe in positive thoughts and it's not like me to be so negative, but again just had a bad day, my apoligies to you Sir.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Keep practicing your strum patterns with a metronome, slowly at first and being sure to keep a steady rhythm and pattern then increasing in speed as you go,  and you'll be able to play like that in a couple years. 

Here's two of the folks who inspire me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

12 (edited by nevets17 2010-08-24 17:07:45)

No offense taken at all!

At least SouthPaw41L is a fan of Rhett Miller! smile

I wish there was guitar forum out there somewhere that specialized in the guitar style of Rhett Miller. I have issues, yes I know.

I can actually play THIS song. Its called "Designs on you". But I wish I could figure out the little things he does throughout the song to make it pop. Again, I wish I could learn and discuss with others the bits and pieces and break down his guitar work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwRcWa75 … re=related

Because I have issues and cannot stop I wanted to share this amusing clip where he forgets the words to "Timebomb". Possibly hilarious to me only....the obsessed Rhett Miller fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zBJ7it926U

Also, I just wanted to add that Rhett Miller is not the lead guitar player of the Old 97's. Ken Bethea plays lead and does all those really hard note by note riffy type things. Rhett is basically a rythmn guitar player and I am amazed when I see him doing 97's songs solo acoustic like this. Suffice to say, he is the guitar player I want to be.

Nothing too special in that first song really.  He did some really hard attacks on down strums, missing the bassiest notes and played only quarter notes on the on beat.  No problem, you can practice that and get it down cold in a few days or weeks probably. 

The thing where he slides up the neck - all he did is start at the octave of the root of the chord, hit just that string with the pick and then slide his fret finger up the neck until he got to the chord, which he strummed when he got there.  It's a bit tough to get the slide down (I haven't yet), but if you practice it you'll have it fairly quickly.

As far as the windmill of his forearm - that's just show.  It doesn't affect the sound at all. 

Otherwise, he was pretty much playing straight chords throughout.  He didn't even do any bass note shuffles, hammer ons, or switching up to sevenths, all of which YOU can do to spice up the song when you play it and sound even better. 

Seriously, if this is the guitar player you want to be, you can do it.  He's good, no doubt, but there's nothing that I'm seeing that good solid practice won't do for you.  There's a million guys who play as well as he does spread out in garages, campfires, and back rooms of guitar stores.  Most of those folks just won't get in front of an audience.  The one thing he does do very, very well is maintain a steady tempo.  To get the steady tempo thing in your mind, you really have to practice with a metronome.  There's no other way. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I like his style always have. I think as you progress you'll find there are much harder styles to play than this one for sure. Fast but pretty straightforward.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Please take a look at this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCcRy7pXXXQ

During the intro where he is telling the story what chord is he playing? It looks like a D being played on the 4th and 8th frets with a capo on the 2nd fret. Is that right?

nevets17 wrote:

During the intro where he is telling the story what chord is he playing? It looks like a D being played on the 4th and 8th frets with a capo on the 2nd fret. Is that right?

D fingering on 4th and 7th. Basically just E and A.... (D is a movable chord)

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thank you smile

What do you mean by "movable" chord? How is it A and E?
I know this is basic music theory but I just do not get it.

nevets17 wrote:

Thank you smile

What do you mean by "movable" chord? How is it A and E?
I know this is basic music theory but I just do not get it.

Sorry, slight slip there (it happens when I'm in a hurry smile   It would be E and G...

D is movable because the same shape can used up the neck to voice other chords...   D is on second fret, if you move it up 2 frets to 4th you're moving the chords voice up two semitones as well so it become an E.... one more to 5th and it's an F, 6th would be F# and 7th would be a G...  Trying to keep it simple smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]