Topic: Off to Nashville

My misses and I are heading out this morning for several days of honky tonkin in Nashville to enjoy the music of the town; a dinner cruise and show on the General Jackson paddleboat and some tours of the sights and sounds.  Hope you all have a great weekend; will be back sometime next week.  NO, I am not taking my guitar, only going to enjoy the music, not trying to make any.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Re: Off to Nashville

Sounds like fun!  Have a great time Big Jim and Mrs. Big Jim!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Jim,

Hope you have the time of your life. Sounds like the perfect trip and getaway smile

Later, Wayne P

4 (edited by Bass Viking 2010-09-08 14:09:03)

Wow, what a great time!  The bars on Broadway were just that; bars with good music, but overpriced beer.  The usual tourist things were done, sightseeing etc.  The General Jackson paddleboat was a very nice show and dinner cruise.  Probably my favorite was the time spent out on music row; didn't realize just how many publishers, recording studio's and music companies were located there.  Not just country music either.

I am still in awe of the tour through RCA Studio B where sooooo much quality hit music has been recorded through the years.  We were the last group of the day to go through there and there was nobody recording, so we actually got to go in the studio and control room.  How eerie to sit at the same piano where Elvis played and others from Jim Reeves to Charlie Pride to Garth Brooks recorded some of their hits.  Just standing where many famous artists stood to record their music was very inspiring.  I have some pictures; have to see how they turned out, but it was a great moment and I was moved by the experience.  Glad to be back home; but thought I would share my good time with all.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Sounds like a great time.  I wouldn't mind going on that trip myself.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Nice.  I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself.  It must have been inspirational.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Glad you enjoyed the trip, BV.  I've been to Nashville many times on criminal investigations and was quite disappointed by the downtown scene there.  I didn't want to bring that up before you went, as I didn't want to hang a cloud over your trip; however, I'm really happy to see that your experience (and, apparently, the experiences of many others) was much more positive than mine.

Somehow, each time I tried to "experience" the main strip, I couldn't see past all the druggies and homeless men and women on the streets.  Being from New York, I suppose I've always had a romanticized view of what Nashville is - and I always assumed it was a lot cleaner and safer than Manhattan.  'Turns out ANY city that creates magic has its dark side, too.

I guess in retrospect, it WAS really cool to walk those same sidewalks that so many legends have walked.  Thanks for re-framing my view of this cool place.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Hey Jim, glad to hear that you had a blast!  Being inside any recording studio would be a fun trip for me, inside one that many of the greats have recorded in would just be icing on the cake!  Awe inspiring I am sure.  Please do post some pictures for us!  Here's a thread on how to do that if you need some help :http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14150

Mike, while I'm thrilled to pieces that crime scene's haven't corrupted my mind on big cities... I have been to NYC.  The first few times I was there I was quite grossed out.  Hookers, graffiti, homeless on the dirty streets, cart vendors that looked like they hadn't washed their hands in the past year.  But, the last time I visited I actually stayed at my friend's father's house on the Island and we road the train into the city.  I saw an even dirtier (crabbier) side of it all on the train (my friend kept warning me not to make eye contact with people, we don't talk to strangers here! What?  Here we are on a train with people, TONS of people, they're bumping into me sharing my personal space and I am not supposed to make small talk? LOL... geez, if I can't make small talk I might end up feeling like I have to punch that guy if he bumps into my hip again with his bike!) ... with all that said, I learned WHY people in NYC are so crabby, and I sat back as I wasn't allowed to talk to people.  I made a point to just take in and try to enjoy the sights.  Graffiti suddenly had beauty, stations echoing had tone, and on our way back out, while driving over the bridge I actually envisioned the smog as a protective dome over the entire thing.  NYC is unlike any other city I've been in.  It sure is NOT Buffalo or Syracuse!  I realize I probably was just far too high from all the fumes, but if you try you can see the good in just about anything you put your mind to!  wink  I'll bet if you were visiting Nashville with the PLAN of VISITING (and not checking out a crime scene), you'd find a way to enjoy it!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

>>>>I'll bet if you were visiting Nashville with the PLAN of VISITING (and not checking out a crime scene), you'd find a way to enjoy it!<<<<

I'll bet you're right.  But, just so you know, Manhattan isn't quite as bad as your friend made it out to be.  That whole thing about not looking anyone in the eye is a leftover from the 70's.  I live on Long Island and travel into NYC by train all the time.  The only reason people don't look at other people anymore is because they're too busy looking at their text messages and iPods!

The big difference between NY and Nashville seems to be that the music scene is a little more concentrated in Nashville.  Most of the important clubs seem to be on one strip, while, in NY, they are scattered all over the city (with the exception of the Bleeker Street/Greenwich Village scene).  I guess any time you squeeze so many attractions into one small area - as in the case of Nashville - it's going to draw all the city's "odd" characters.

No dissing of Nashville intended.  I've definitely only seen it from a somewhat tainted angle.  Perhaps my next trip will be solely for pleasure!

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...